Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
OliveG

Pawn shopping

Has anyone had good luck trolling these? I've always wanted to yet mever took the time...
OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
rybread3

My local pawn show was no good. It had mostly lawn mower parts. Most people have better pawn shops near their houses. How big is the area you live in? This is relative to the amount of musicians living there and how likely it will have good guitars.
rybread3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
rybread3

My local pawn shop*
Old 10-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
OliveG

DC-Baltimore corridor. Should have some decent stuff...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
rybread3

Go for it. DC has a lot of musicians. You can also cut bargains in pawn shops. So be prepared to haggle.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

I've seen some decent stuff in pawn shops, but nothing I particularly wanted.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
jpnyc

Pawn shops are usually a ripoff. They use eBay and Craigslist to check prices and then charge more than that because they know they’ll eventually sell to a sucker who thinks pawn shops are discount stores. And people with good stuff to sell know they can do better on Craigslist.

Pawn shops were really only good in the 1980s when people were dumping great old gear to get money for hair metal rigs. But between Slash, Billy Corgan, and Kurt Cobain all the old guitars got popular again in the 90s and pawn shops have sucked since.

You’d be better off scouring Guitar Center stores for misidentified used guitars being sold cheap. They don’t pay the staff enough for them to bother researching what comes into the store.

Last edited by jpnyc : 10-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
You’d be better off scouring Guitar Center stores for misidentified used guitars being sold cheap. They don’t pay the staff enough for them to bother researching what comes into the store.

everything else he wrote but especially this.

i find mis-tagged new guitars at my local GC. how hard is it to read the label on the box you're unpacking? i almost had them ring up a gibsun R7 that was marked as a traditional pro. i should have kept my mouth shut but i was doing the "right thing".

but the used sites for GC and sam ash both have great deals everyday. i picked up a nearly perfect G&L tribute asat for $299. it only had one ding on it but i'm 99% certain that happened on the way to me.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
rybread3

To the post above: You could have been sited for stolen property. If you buy something that is mis-marked and they find out later I don't think they'll decide on "Whoops my fault. Guess we just gave away nice merchandise." Best you could hope for is a request of a return of the expensive guitar. Still risky though. Maybe just maybe you would have gotten away with it. But I don't know. Store managers have more tools to manage their stock.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybread3
To the post above: You could have been sited for stolen property. If you buy something that is mis-marked and they find out later I don't think they'll decide on "Whoops my fault. Guess we just gave away nice merchandise." Best you could hope for is a request of a return of the expensive guitar. Still risky though. Maybe just maybe you would have gotten away with it. But I don't know. Store managers have more tools to manage their stock.

GC would have zero recourse against me. when you pay the ticket price and they hand you a receipt it's over and done. they can call you up and ask, but they can't enforce anything. they sold the guitar and sent you away receipt in hand. cops would laugh at them.

i used to work at a sam ash store, i know how retail works. i've seen this kind of thing happen.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
rybread3

I don't know the specifics of retail. I worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it's just some guy with a claim that "No, it's all good. They sold me this one." Less to do with cops the better.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
deadsmileyface
u*(wot/m8)

i have seen some nice guitars in pawn shops, give it a shot
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
grim1
Yes i like Winger.

Used to be a "Pawn Shop" in Jacksonville FL that only carried Gibson and Fender stuff. Got a Les Paul Classic, a Fender Strat Ultra and another Fender Strat(Both USA Made) at great prices. They had a great guitar tech there as well. The store no longer does the same business, but the guitar tech is still somewhere in Jacksonville. Give pawn a shot. You might find something
grim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
Robbgnarly

Quote:
I don't know the specifics of retail. I worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it's just some guy with a claim that "No, it's all good. They sold me this one." Less to do with cops the better.

Greg is right once you pay for an item, it is yours. I have bought items that were miss marked.

I know a guy who bought a Keeley modded Boss SD1 for $19 because they messed up the price. The mgr ran over to try and stop it, but the transaction was already done. The pedal was worth $80+ with the mod. Now if they catch it before the transaction is done your paying the real price.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
monwobobbo

rarely do you find anything good in a pawnshop these days. I know the owners of 2 in the area and both of them put the good stuff they take in on ebay. the stuff in the store is just crap that won't sell easily the other way. even then they really don't get much that is actually worth getting excited about. I do get asked to identify items occasionally as they don't want to put them out fr sale without knowing exactly what it is just in case it is a rare gem. gregs suggestion on GC is a good one and I do that myself. most of the people there are far from "experts". they go by ebay and if they can't find the item they go by the closest thing they can find. this is great for those in the know. as for a modded pedal well it's tough t prove that so they usually don't bother trying to get more for it (they usually won't pay more for it either). ticketed price is the asking price. if they sell it then to bad and the law backs that up so nothing will happen to you.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
dropb81

A pawn shop near me had a old crate 1x12 ss combo amp that wasn't labeled. Wasn't in bad condition so I asked how much. When he said $225 I laughed and said never-mind... then he said something about its "amazing tone"... lol. I replied "I'll bet" and left the store, thinking someone probably would pay that for a sub-$100 amp based on his claim of amazing tone.

Reminds me of the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".
dropb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
m33sta

Quote:
To the post above: You could have been sited for stolen property.

Nope, the guitar shop is meant to be the professional service. If someone who knows nothing about guitars buys one that was marked up wrong how is that stolen property. The onus is on the party with the perceived more knowledge.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
samuraigoomba

Pawnshops blow. As has been said, these pawn shop people go online and price check all of their gear on someplace like Ebay (where prices are even a little higher than the market value, in many cases) and then charge about $100 more than that.

So you'll see generic MIM strats selling for $350, and that's if you even see any guitars at that level of quality.

Go to Guitar Center. I got a MIJ Tokai strat from them (mid '80s post-lawsuit) for $350 plus some shipping to send it straight to my house. GC will actually bother to undercut the Ebay prices because they deal in volume. And unless someone is on a time limit, don't expect to find too many good deals on Craigslist. At least, not in my area. The prices around here are pawn shop prices, a good $100 above market value.

Pawn shop owners know very well that people think they can get a bargain at a pawn shop. Unless you love to haggle, don't bother. I prefer to not be insulted by prices so far above the market price that I'd have to cut their price in half just to get into reasonable territory. Which is, of course, their whole plan from the beginning.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Robbgnarly

The pawn shops in my area are almost retail if not over the retail prices. An Epi Lp studio for $325 used?!!! Yeah that is my area

last CL listing I looked at was a PRS SE CU24 the guy wanted $800 for it be cause he put all new hardware on it and wanted retail for those "upgrades". I told him it was a $350 guitar on a good day. he said I was full of shit and did not know what I was talking about
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
OliveG

Thanks for all the answers. I actually have often found some pretty interesting stuff at GC in the used section. I do find it overpriced at times (There was a really nice Parker PDF 100 once, which was at $550, which would not have been so bad except it had scratches literally everywhere), but I've also seen some guitars which I swear must have been new and not used in there and wondered if they were mislabeled.

That being said I sold (or rather tried to sell...) a Jackson DK2 on Craigslist once and mine was in like new condition. If I had put it in the store it would have fooled people into thinking it was new (I take REALLY good care of my babies).

The funny thing is that I got tons of spam while I had it on craigslist from chicks who claimed that I "sounded really sexy in my ad and they'd like to meet"! Good lols there but nice pictures anyway. :-D Ended up selling it on amazon actually for almost the same price I got it for. Then I put my Ovation on craigslist and I guess it's just not as sexy as a Jackson because I didn't get a single spam email from chicks. :-D

Tons of emails from idiots who were going to "send me their butler with a check and hold it for me please" or shit like that. What the hell is wrong with some people. I can't even get how their scam is supposed to work anyway...

Rate This Thread: