Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
techowiz

Crestwood Strat Copy?

Saw a Crestwood Strat copy in a used store. Looked pretty nice (better than a Squier Bullet)... Anyone have any experience with Crestwood?
techowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
jds2

I can't say that I'm familiar with Crestwood strat clones, but I would see how it plays and make your decision based on feel and condition. I picked up a Johnson brand strat clone last week and dropped in a set of GFS lipstick pickups. To be honest, I had never heard of Johnson before, but it was cheap on Craigslist and I wanted a cheap strat clone for my first attempt at a pickup swap in case I messed it up. The guitar body was in great shape and the neck was extremely comfortable. It played pretty well after I adjusted the action and changed the strings. The stock pickups were pretty much junk, though. All in all, definitely worth the $45 I paid. With the lipsticks installed, however, it is now one of my favorites with an awesome tone.

I'm guessing that a Johnson is pretty similar to a Crestwood and most other no-name import brands of strat clones. Pickup swaps are really easy, so if you like everything about the Crestwood except the sound and the price is right, that is fix-able without too much money and / or fuss.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
techowiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2
I can't say that I'm familiar with Crestwood strat clones, but I would see how it plays and make your decision based on feel and condition. I picked up a Johnson brand strat clone last week and dropped in a set of GFS lipstick pickups. To be honest, I had never heard of Johnson before, but it was cheap on Craigslist and I wanted a cheap strat clone for my first attempt at a pickup swap in case I messed it up. The guitar body was in great shape and the neck was extremely comfortable. It played pretty well after I adjusted the action and changed the strings. The stock pickups were pretty much junk, though. All in all, definitely worth the $45 I paid. With the lipsticks installed, however, it is now one of my favorites with an awesome tone.

I'm guessing that a Johnson is pretty similar to a Crestwood and most other no-name import brands of strat clones. Pickup swaps are really easy, so if you like everything about the Crestwood except the sound and the price is right, that is fix-able without too much money and / or fuss.

Sounds like a "good plan"! Thanks for the feedback.
techowiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: