Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
gambit1983

swamp ash, ebony, mahogany neck

I'm considering getting a warmoth build with these tone woods. I'm trying to see if there is a guitar that is made with these woods so I can maybe hear it before I get one made. Haven't had any luck. Is this a bad combo? Any responses with a link to a guitar would be appreciated.
gambit1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Some versions of the Parker NiteFly were made with swamp ash body, mahogany neck, and an ebony fretboard:

http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2011/08/oh-wise-guy-eh.html

Quote:
The Strat Genius = Parker NiteFly SA. Specifically, I am thinking of the relative handful that rolled off the lines during the golden days between Krog and Music Corp ownership (the "Ken Era").

The SA had a two-piece swamp ash body, a mahogany neck sheathed in a carbon glass fiber composite, a compound radius neck ('conical'), low mass headstock, locking tuners, and, among other innovations, stainless steel frets. The guitar is light, sustains 'for days' and, stays perfectly in tune despite all kinds of vibrato use, is rugged, and with a pickup swap, sounds great. The cool thing about the old NiteFly model was that, unlike the upscale Fly models, the NF was for 'guitar guys' that liked to modify stuff and swap out electronics. The frets were taller on the NF as well and the neck carve was in the vintage realm (chunkier) making them better players than the Fly. As futuristic as they look the NiteFly retains the vibe of a great old Tele or Strat.

And scroll down here:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...uilders_Gu ild

Quote:
Dennis Fano’s PBGbuilt Alt de Facto PX6 is available with an alder, swamp-ash, or mahogany body (a flamed-maple top is optional), a maple or mahogany neck with a graduated 10"–16" radius, Lindy Fralin pickups, and aged-nickel hardware.

I didn't find any sound samples, but if makers like Parker and Fano are willing do use that combo, there probably isn't anything wrong with it,

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-27-2013 at 10:06 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
gambit1983

Tyvm
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
stormin1155

Even if you were able to find a guitar with that wood combination there is no way of knowing if it would sound like the one you are putting together. I'm sure it will sound fine. If it doesn't, put the neck up on ebay and try something different.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Swamp Ash is absolutely fantastic depending on what you're looking to play. If it were me, though, I'd get a Rosewood neck with an Ebony fretboard.

Rosewood necks give me really bad GAS.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155
Even if you were able to find a guitar with that wood combination there is no way of knowing if it would sound like the one you are putting together. I'm sure it will sound fine. If it doesn't, put the neck up on ebay and try something different.

yeah, i'm just trying to get a better idea
Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Swamp Ash is absolutely fantastic depending on what you're looking to play. If it were me, though, I'd get a Rosewood neck with an Ebony fretboard.

Rosewood necks give me really bad GAS.

rosewood ebony was my 2nd choice and again, i cant find any audio samples of it.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
JustRooster
Organ Donor

If there was a sound difference between a mahogony and rosewood neck through your amp, I highly doubt it'd be noticable.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I agree that it wouldn't really matter unless it was the exact pieces you were going to use.

Wood choice is much more important in terms of sustain and resonance than tone (in an EQ sense). Your pickups, scale length, and hardware will make leaps and bounds more difference there than wood will. I have personally found that species can vary more within themselves than they do with other species.

Pick wood based off of the weight, resonance, sustain, and of course visual aesthetics. Don't worry about the tone. Get an EQ pedal.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
kingking22

Why would the tone wood matter to an electric guitar? I mean if the pickups are potted how exactly is the guitar going to project the tone of the wood after it's plugged in and has gone through pedals/pickups/amp/distortion etc... ???? You think you will hear some of the tone of the ash wood through potted pickups and all that electrical noise?

Last edited by kingking22 : 10-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.
kingking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingking22
Why would the tone wood matter to an electric guitar? I mean if the pickups are potted how exactly is the guitar going to project the tone of the wood after it's plugged in and has gone through pedals/pickups/amp/distortion etc... ???? You think you will hear some of the tone of the ash wood through potted pickups and all that electrical noise?

Yes?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I agree that it wouldn't really matter unless it was the exact pieces you were going to use.

Wood choice is much more important in terms of sustain and resonance than tone (in an EQ sense). Your pickups, scale length, and hardware will make leaps and bounds more difference there than wood will. I have personally found that species can vary more within themselves than they do with other species.

Pick wood based off of the weight, resonance, sustain, and of course visual aesthetics. Don't worry about the tone. Get an EQ pedal.

yeah i thought about the pickups, scale length, and hardware before the wood
Old 10-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
gambit1983

what top should i get, mahogany, quilted maple or flame maple?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

Birdseye or burled maple.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Birdseye or burled maple.

Genius.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

I was surfing the net one day and saw a burled maple LP style guitar with a cherryburst...it looked like the surface of the sun, complete with sunspots. The right piece can be simply gorgeous.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit1983
what top should i get, mahogany, quilted maple or flame maple?

Well, there's also flamed koa, claro walnut and black walnut, burled mahogany, maple burl, spalted maple, birdseye maple, Australian Myrtle burl, tulipwood, magnolia, Maracarpra, Bubinga and Lava Bubinga, Shedua, Spalt Beech, White Limba, Zebrano, Amboyna Burl, Wenge, and much more.

Why not get creative?
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

Wood is...beautiful. I know some good sites, if you're looking.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-29-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
gambit1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Well, there's also flamed koa, claro walnut and black walnut, burled mahogany, maple burl, spalted maple, birdseye maple, Australian Myrtle burl, tulipwood, magnolia, Maracarpra, Bubinga and Lava Bubinga, Shedua, Spalt Beech, White Limba, Zebrano, Amboyna Burl, Wenge, and much more.

Why not get creative?

I want whats best for the tone of the guitar. As of now I'm actually thinking of keeping the whole body swamp ash. I think 4 different woods is too much.

Rate This Thread: