Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
stephanie.gardi

Choosing An Electric Guitar

I'd like to buy my husband a second electric guitar for Christmas as a surprise. He currently has a Fender Stratocaster (American built) and I'm looking for something with a different tone so he has more flexibility (something with Humbucker pickups most likely). He generally plays the blues and classic rock. I'm not very savvy on the subject. All I really know is that he was a bit disappointed in the Les Paul Gibsons (not enough bang for the buck) and was impressed with the Taylor Solid Body. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 (a used guitar is perfectly fine even though it's for a gift). Any thoughts?
stephanie.gardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

To compliment his Stratocaster a very popular choice would probably be a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Gibson Les Paul Tribute. Another choice could be a Gibson SG Special. Those are all humbucker based guitars that can be had brand new for under the 1G mark. All of the ones mentioned are great guitars for his style and have a lot of history in the genre. Also, seeing "Gibson" on the headstock will definitely make him smile.

If used in an option you could look for a used Gibson SG Standard.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I'm going to stun JustRooster by recommending a Reverend. . I own a couple, and am buying more.

Very nice guitars for the price: korina body wood, good controls, nice neck. Designed iln the USA, made in Korea, set up in the USA. They have a lot of models. My suggestion would be for a Flatroc, Charger, Manta Ray, Club King, Sensei, or possibly a Double Agent, but most of them could fit the description.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Wildwood has a broad selection of their new guitars, and they have one used one of note worth considering:
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/reverend.htm
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/prod...egoryID=87&n=29

And this is a good site to find used Reverends (besides eBay):
http://reverb.com/marketplace?query...rt=price%7Cdesc

Another worth considering would be the Godin xtSA. Helluva lot of quality guitar, made in Canada. New, its just a smidge over your budget.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/xtSADTR/

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-28-2013 at 12:06 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Hey, JustRooster, what about some of the Tele-style G&Ls?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
stephanie.gardi

One of his concerns about the Gibsons was the neck breakage problem . . . any thoughts on that?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Does it happen? Yes. And from what I understand, that problem is inherent in the tilted headstock design- virtually anybody's LP style guitar would have the same issue.

Is it common? No.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
HippieMagic

I am really enjoying the new Gibson SG Standards. You're going to hear more horror stories about Gibson than you are going to find horror. People like to talk.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
FingerFud

Damn, what a wife you are! :P
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
FingerFud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Does it happen? Yes. And from what I understand, that problem is inherent in the tilted headstock design- virtually anybody's LP style guitar would have the same issue.

Is it common? No.

yeah pretty much. it's definitely worth bearing in mind, though. if you have young children or pets (for example) who are constantly knocking things over then it would be worth keeping in mind.

hard to know about the gibson thing- on the one hand i agree with rooster, but on the other hand if he's made pretty clear that he thinks gibsons aren't worth it he might not be so pleased. you're going to know him better than we are, lol.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

So he doesn't want a trem? It has to be 24 3/4" scale? All mahogany like a LP?

What about PRS? Excellent choice for anyone looking for a blues/rock machine.

Last edited by DeathByDestroyr : 10-28-2013 at 04:07 PM.
DeathByDestroyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Being the gracefully clumsy sort myself, and having 2 border collies, I tend to buy hardshell cases, and several of my guitars are hung on the wall. Those that are on stands? They generally have some kind of mechanism to keep them on the stand.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Hey, JustRooster, what about some of the Tele-style G&Ls?

G&L ASAT Special, G&L ASAT HB, or if he's feeling froggy the G&L SC-2. Depends on if he's truly a single coil guy who wants some extra beef.

The G&L ASAT Special is one of my favorite guitars of all time. I've owned 2 and would highly, highly recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie.gardi
One of his concerns about the Gibsons was the neck breakage problem . . . any thoughts on that?

G&L ASAT's do belong to the almight bolt-on master race, to which your husband does seem to be a part of

In all seriousness, G&L is probably my favorite guitar brand. I was recommending Gibson at first to be safe because not all guitarists are comfortable with some of the lesser known guitar brands.

The man who founded Fender guitars (Leo Fender) actually started G&L. In fact, they were all directly designed by Leo Fender. They are what many Strat/Tele purists consider true "Leo" guitars. If you're interested in hearing more about G&L, check out the first page of my thread on them.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 10-28-2013 at 06:20 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
ikey_

gibsons not enough bang for buck?

he sounds like a Carvin man! except there is no stock car vin...almost all are customizable which makes buying for somebody hard.

for 1000 you can get a solid carvin, but nothing too nutz. then again, the nicest gibsons are on part asthetically with the crappiest carvins (again, from a looks/wood perspective) so i think your coming out about equal.

something different, i would stick to hum buckers. has he ever said anything about what he would want if not a strat, gripes about his strat? for example, a humbucker tele might be enough of a change, or you can go lesp aul style, double cut super strat style, or a PRS / carvin style (those baseline right around 1000).

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/solidbody.php

neck breakage - look, any guitar with a set neck and an angled headstock will be prone to this, not just gibbons. so thats about 90% of guitars. fenders are built like tanks. straight headstock, and nothing on them is "precise" per say. the construction of a strat is basically all bolt on parts. great guitars, but its the truth. whole darn thing is screwed together. very modular, tough design.

you really cant find anything tougher than a strat or tele. perhaps a music man.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)

Last edited by ikey_ : 10-28-2013 at 07:02 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
stephanie.gardi

Carvin? I'll give them a look. He hasn't mentioned any other guitars since buying the Strat (he really does love that thing) but fell in love with a Taylor Solid Body Classic when we were looking. I really appreciate everybody's help here. I know absolutely nothing about electric guitars and you've all given me a really good place to start with my research.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

If you know the exact one he loves, then get him that.

I haven't tried any taylors (they're more acoustic guitar makers, I think... haven't tried those, either ), but I think they're meant to be good guitars. Could be wrong. I've sometimes seen some good deals on them (as i said, they're more known as acoustic makers so the electrics maybe didn't sell so well), so bear that in mind and keep an eye out. You could get one for way less than the usual selling price if you're lucky.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

In fairness, it IS a $1300 guitar. I saw a used one online for under $800, but it was the SSS version, so it wouldn't have the HBs that are part of the wish list.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
AWACS
I want all of the things

Maybe something thats a semi-hollow? (A mix between an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar. More electric than acoustic however)

EDIT: To toss out a suggestion, maybe a Godin 5th Avenue? Quite a few models to choose from. All made in Canada or New Hampshire, for about $1000, give or take a couple hundred.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212
Strymon Timeline
Dunlop CryBaby
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronic Corona

Last edited by AWACS : 10-29-2013 at 02:09 AM.
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
Emster 23

I agree with AWACS on a semi or even full hollowbody guitar. The latest Gretsch $800 model is quite nice, A/Bed next to a Tennessee Rose, and liked it better. He already has a solidbody, so go for something to take him to a whole new sound and feel. Whatever your decision, be sure you get return and refund rights with it. I assume you don't play, and in a way could be compared to him buying you shoes (hope that doesn't sound sexist!). And good for you wanting to get him a new toy!
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
Maybe something thats a semi-hollow? (A mix between an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar. More electric than acoustic however)

EDIT: To toss out a suggestion, maybe a Godin 5th Avenue? Quite a few models to choose from. All made in Canada or New Hampshire, for about $1000, give or take a couple hundred.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm

The Godin Kingpin II. Very nice for the price.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5t...ekingpincwp.htm

And as long as we're tossing out semihollows & hollowbodies, I'll reiterate my suggestion of the Reverend Manta Ray:
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst.../manta-ray-290/

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/manta-ray-hb/

...and further add the Hagstrom Tremar Deuce F.
http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index...id=56&Itemid=36
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hagstro...382-i3154478.gc

While the Reverend and Godin would be my personal 1st & 2nd choice out of that trio, the Hagstrom is an interesting one your husband might prefer. It has the humbuckers with 2 volume and 2 tone controls typical of Les Paul style guitars, and the humbuckers are individually splittable for singlecoil type output. While the Rev can do something similar with its Bass Contour knob, the Hag has the 25.5" scale that is the same as your husband's Strat, so it may feel more comfortable to him.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-29-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Does he need or want a hollowbody, though? I tend to work on the principle that unless you're sure you want a hollow or semi, it's safer to stick with a solid.

Rate This Thread: