Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

2 Guitars needed: 400 budget

Hi guys,
So I need a classical and electro-acoustic guitar. My TOTAL budget is 400, which I know is pretty low, but it's all I have.

For the acoustic, I want a now frills (preferably dreadnought) guitar with a cutaway and a pickup. That is my only necessity. I really want a solid wood top, but I doubt I will be able to get solid sides and back in my budget, so if it doesn't that is ok. If it does, awesome!
I will be playing a lot of justin king style stuff, along with arrangments like sungha jung's and a lot of pop chord strumming. Also a bit of fingerstyle. Therefore it needs to be versatile.

For the classical, I want a once again no frills guitar with a solid top. I like the sound of both cedar and spruce tops. I do really want a pickup on this as well, but if this is not possible then fair enough.
I will be using the classical for a lot of tarraga, sor and segovia. I will also be using this for my guitar abrsm grades.

I realise I am going to need to buy used for this, so that is fine. I am situated in London, so gumtree or ebay.

I do not mind how the budget is split, but if i need to, i would prefer to compromise on the quality of the acoustic and get a nice classical guitar. Obviously i'd rather not compromise at all

All answers appreciated.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

I use a Fender T Bucket Ce-300. Stick some nice Elixir Nanowebs on there and it'll sound bootifal.
218 new aswell.
I can't really be much of a help with the classical guitar I'm afraid though, no experience there. Good luck in your search and with your grades!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

hmmm. i love the looks and reviews are pretty good, but laminate? Does it sound good? Also, i've head bad things about fender acoustics....
oh and thanks! Got grade 5 classical and theory in the spring!

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

I love mine, having said that I've only owned a couple of acoustics. They're readily available at Dawsons if you happen to live near one, so go and give it a try!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

And yeah - I've played some awful Fender Acoustics, I couldn't bear the sonoran or stratacoustic/telecoustics.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

thanks- i will try it out

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000
thanks- i will try it out
See if you can sample a Yamaha FG-700 while you're at it. They're 200 bucks stateside, don't know about across the pond. The FG-700 is solid top as well.

BTW, (to whom it may concern), I have a "Sonoran", and it sounds pretty good. The Fishman electronics are a little hard on batteries. I have other guitars with full L.R.Baggs kit, and a couple with proprietary Ibanez electronics, (but with only the Fishman piezo pickup), all of which I like more than straight Fishman.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

will do- cheers. I was looking at them- how do they compare to washburn's solid top offerings in the same price range? the wd10sce namely?

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
g1jammer
Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
See if you can sample a Yamaha FG-700 while you're at it. They're 200 bucks stateside, don't know about across the pond. The FG-700 is solid top as well.

FG 700s are about 180 over here but if you check on ebay you should be able to find one at a lower price if you wait - I picked up one with a soft case for 95 as a present for some one recently and was pleasant to play so would second CaptCranky
g1jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

thanks man

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

anyone?

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000
anyone?
This forum isn't really very high traffic. So probably most of those who will check in, have checked in.

Don't take it personally...

Too many suggestions could work against you if you're on a timetable, could they not?

Most often the choices come down to a low end Yamaha, or a Seagull S-6 in the next up budget tier. These get recommended because the people who buy them, come back and say they are thrilled with them.

We have a, "which acoustic to buy" sticky. But some of what's on there is above your price range, and a fair amount may be discontinued.

These threads do atrack a fair amount od posters who would like you to buy exactly the same guitar they have. This could be for several reasons. They are thrilled, (justifiably), with their purchase, they aren't happy with their purchase and misery loves company, or, they simply don't know any better, and are steering you wrong without malice.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
lilianjie

Talking

These discussions do atrack RS Gold a reasonable quantity od paper prints who would like you to buy exactly the same instrument they have. This could be for
Diablo 3 Gold several factors. They are excited, (justifiably), with their buy, they aren't satisfied with their buy and agony likes Guild Wars 2 Gold organization, or, they basically don't know any better, and are guiding you incorrect without malice.
lilianjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

ok.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Rate This Thread: