Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
jb335
UG junkie

Lefty acoustic upgrade

Hey y'all:

Thinking about swapping out my Seagull S6 for a more flat-picking/strumming oriented dred--either spruce/rosewood or spruce/mahogany. I play mostly classic rock and blues, with some jazz (gypsy style and solo stuff), and would probably be using this guitar either in solo contexts or in small jam sessions.

I've been eyeing the Guild d-150, cause it seems like it's giving me everything I want (solid woods!) at a pretty great price--around 600-800 USD, depending.

Are there any options I'm overlooking?
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335
Hey y'all:

Thinking about swapping out my Seagull S6 for a more flat-picking/strumming oriented dred--either spruce/rosewood or spruce/mahogany. I play mostly classic rock and blues, with some jazz (gypsy style and solo stuff), and would probably be using this guitar either in solo contexts or in small jam sessions.

I've been eyeing the Guild d-150, cause it seems like it's giving me everything I want (solid woods!) at a pretty great price--around 600-800 USD, depending.

Are there any options I'm overlooking?
The Chinese Guilds are supposed to be quite good. For you that one needs to be, as it's the only lefty they make in the series.

(I hope I got that model right off the top of my head). The American Guilds are custom built and I think they have a lefty service charge.

You can get any (?) Taylor, in LH no extra charge (?). Musician's Friend stocks a shitload, or at least their product index claims they have them in stock. Quite a few of those are priced well above the Guild in question.

Martins are available in lefties also. That said, I expect the GAD Guild would be nicer than the X-Series Martins.

Most other makers only offer low end pieces in left hand models, most of which wouldn't be near as good as your Seagull.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
jb335
UG junkie

Yeah, I've been tempted by Taylors, but a 300 series is still about $200 more expensive (though the electronics are a nice bonus)--just have never really liked the mid-heavy sound for what I do, you know?

Any opinions on Recording Kings?
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Captaincranky

One of our members swears by Recording King as a solid, reasonably priced, Martinesque sounding option. I recall seeing that they made a lefty option, (I think).

I cant lend any personal experience to back that up though, sorry.

However, Recording King has never come up on any lefty acoustic search I've ever done at Musician's Friend. Likewise, a search of M'sF site just now, yielded no LH results.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-03-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: