Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Izvire

Tube amp for an apartment?

Looking for a small combo amp for an apartment, tube preferred.

Previous amps include AC30VR, which sucked, and a Marshall 100 watt head, which was great.

So basically I'm looking for a tube amp, which I could play at lower volumes, if possible.

I was looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III, which I could get for a pretty low price.

My budget is about 1000Ä, so keep that in mind.

Any suggestions?

Just bumped into an Orange TH30C, would that be good?

Last edited by Izvire : 11-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Izvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Genres/bands you'll want to play? Current gear? Will need it for gigging as well? Prefer combo or head + cab?

All I can say about the TH30 is it'll be damn loud, from what I've heard others say.
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Yamaha RBX270

Magnum 44 Poweramp
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Robbgnarly

I live in an apartment and have tried the low wattage tube combo thing. I bought a Peavey Windsor Studio and it even has a power attenuator built in. I really don't like it stock but if you mod it, it will do a decent plexi type gain. I still find it doesn't work well 90% of the time.

I ended up getting a used Line 6 POD XT and a decent set of headphones. This is the best apartment setup I have found yet
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Izvire

Current gear consists of a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Slash pickups. A few pedals, and that's about it.

I thought about going the headphone way but not really my thing.

Really thinking about going for TH30 + 1x12" Orange cab. Could be a bit loud but at 7 watt shouldn't be too bad. Not going to use it for gigging. Pretty much the only genre I will play is rock.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
bobafettacheese

I cannot speak on the combo but the head is f-ing loud. The clean channel is the louder of the two, and breaks up nicely. I rarely put my amp on the 30w setting. I live in a house and I can get the amp to sound good on the 15w setting but it is still really loud. I would not look to buy an expensive amp to just use the 7w setting. Like Robb said the line 6 with a good set of headphones might be the best way to go. I probably wouldn't own the TH if I lived in an apartment.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
I cannot speak on the combo but the head is f-ing loud. The clean channel is the louder of the two, and breaks up nicely. I rarely put my amp on the 30w setting. I live in a house and I can get the amp to sound good on the 15w setting but it is still really loud. I would not look to buy an expensive amp to just use the 7w setting. Like Robb said the line 6 with a good set of headphones might be the best way to go. I probably wouldn't own the TH if I lived in an apartment.

Just sold my AC30VR which was about the right volume level, but then of course it isn't a tube amp..

Really wouldn't want to go the POD way to be honest. It doesn't have to be quiet, since I'll only be playing by day and I feel that it wouldn't get so loud that it would bother anyone.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izvire
Could be a bit loud but at 7 watt shouldn't be too bad.

Obviously all amps are different, but I used to have the Vox AC4 stack. On the 4w setting I still had to keep the volume down to avoid upsetting the neighbours. 1w was OK during the day, but in the evenings they could even hear me if I cranked the 1/4w setting.

And that's in a semi-detached house, not an apartment.

Headphones may not be your thing, but if you have neighbours/family to consider they may be the best route forward.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Pretty much the only genre I will play is rock.

This doesn't mean anything to us. Some people consider Journey rock, other people consider All That Remains rock.

Please tell us exactly which bands/albums/songs have a tone you'd like to get close to.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Pandorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
This doesn't mean anything to us. Some people consider Journey rock, other people consider All That Remains rock.

Please tell us exactly which bands/albums/songs have a tone you'd like to get close to.

He DID mention the Slash pickups
Pandorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Izvire

A few things I like: Slash, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, all Tom Morello stuff, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers to get some reference. Old and new stuff. Classics.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
bobafettacheese

Like Gary was saying 7w can still be crazy loud. I still think for apartment use the POD and good headphones is the way to go. If you are set on a tube amp I'll recommend the Marshall DSL 401.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

Honestly, while not tube the best amp I've found for bedroom playing is the Diago Little Smasher, thing is really awesome.
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Jason43
Now you know...

I think with whatever you get, an attenuator is going to be necessary. You'd be surprised just how loud a low wattage tube amp can be. And at low volume, you're not going to get much tone out of it.
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Like Gary mentioned, I also owned the AC4TV mini stack.

Even at 1/4, that thing was still pretty loud. Probably too loud for an apartment.

Do you play in a band, or can you see yourself gigging in the future?

Like others have said, you're probably better off going with something like a small SS, or POD or something similar for when you practice at home, and then pickup a nice combo for band practice.

If you're not going to be gigging, I'd recommend a rack processor like the eleven rack or something similar. That way you can throw on some headphones, get some good tones, and not piss anyone off

Edit: I see that you're not gigging. I know that you want a real amp, but you have to ask yourself "is it realistic". Given that you're living in a small apartment, I'd say no. I don't see any point in paying that much for an Orange or Marshall, or whatever, when you realistically wont be able to take it past .5. You could pick up an attenuator, but I don't think that would make a huge difference, given your space.

Edit #2: Another option, not quite so economical, would be to pick up whatever head you want, get and isolation box, stick a mic in there, then use a set of headphones through a USB interface. Basically you would have a home recording set up that you would practice through. Could be a good idea if you're interested in doing some recording, but by the time you factor in the cost of a iso box, mic, and interface (assuming you dont already own any) you would be left with a pretty small budget for a head.
1985 MIJ Contemporary Strat
1997 Snake Pit Les Paul
2008 MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY

Last edited by red.guitar : 11-02-2013 at 05:25 PM.
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
A few things I like: Slash, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, all Tom Morello stuff, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers to get some reference. Old and new stuff. Classics.

I also recommend a Marshall DSL401 for that stuff.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Fumble fingers

I can't hardly believe neighbors could here the 1/4 watt during the day ??...... I have AC4TV and it doesn't sound much louder than the TV , maybe we keep our TV too loud ? ..... I could see it being loud at night but not by day ....... I guess I'm lucky to have a house and forgot about apartment life and neighbors close by
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

^ That's why I said my neighbours could hear it on the 1/4 setting when I played in the evening

Actually they could probably hear it any time, they just don't mind during the day - my neighbours are OK with me being a bit loud in the afternoon at weekends, they know I keep the noise down at night.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

From the bands you listed/being and appartment dweller, it sounds like an Egnater Rebel 20/30 or a Tweaker 15 would be right up your alley. But honestly, any amp with a good range of tone controls (presence and/or resonance, plus the regular T/M/B) can get great sounds at low volumes. The biggest thing I you lose with low volumes is treble and definition. Having a decent eq to work with can get those back. If the amp only has the standard T/M/B layout, but it has an effects loop, stick an eq in there.

Just get something that makes noise you enjoy that in your price range.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
jpnyc

Tube preamp with speaker simulation to monitors is the way to go. I spent years trying different small tube amps that claimed to be apartment friendly and they all sucked. Sure, technically you can use them at TV volume. But thatís not what makes them sound good, so why waste money on another amp when you can just get useful gear and a set of nice speaker?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
rolandk

Mesa Rectoverb sounds great at low volume and even better at high volume.
rolandk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: