Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #21
Izvire

Having a hard time believing that even 7 watts would be too loud to be honest.

As I live with my parents currently, I just sold my 100 watt Marshall head with 4x12" cab and I still could play that in the evenings on low volume and not wake up anyone.

Maybe I should just buy the Orange head and cab, and try it out. If it turns out to be too loud, I'll go your way and use headphones and something with those.

What's the best option to go with headphones?
Izvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I doubt you can plug headphones into that amp. Or pretty much any tube amp for that matter. That's why everyones saying go with the pod.
I agree. Though I have a modded epi valve jr that gives me excellent tone at tv volume, you should do that.

Also, 1 watt can blow your eardrums if efficient enough.

Last edited by lucky1978 : 11-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

I've seen gigs played with 5-10 watters

But really, if the amp has a master volume I don't really see the issue here. If you can only play at .001 at night and lose some tonal quality so be it. Most neighbours will be okay with you playing during the weekdays if they've got work or what have you.

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
I doubt you can plug headphones into that amp. Or pretty much any tube amp for that matter. That's why everyones saying go with the pod.
I agree. Though I have a modded epi valve jr that gives me excellent tone at tv volume, you should do that.

Also, 1 watt can blow your eardrums if efficient enough.

I know. I didn't mean to plug headphones into the amp. Meant to ask what is the best option to use separate from the amp itself. Sorry for being unclear, writing this from work with my phone.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble fingers
I can't hardly believe neighbors could here the 1/4 watt during the day ??...... I have AC4TV and it doesn't sound much louder than the TV , maybe we keep our TV too loud ? ..... I could see it being loud at night but not by day ....... I guess I'm lucky to have a house and forgot about apartment life and neighbors close by

Believe it. I was shocked how loud that amp is with a 10" speaker.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izvire

It all depends on how the apartment is built. Some apartments have a plywood floor and single-layer dryrock walls that sound passes right through.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Izvire

Moving in to a new apartment building in Finland, it hasn't even been finished yet. Should be pretty high quality when it comes to materials and such.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #28
woad_yurt

Have you thought of using a decent solid state amp, which can be gotten pretty cheaply, with a tube preamp plugged into it?

I have a Crate Powerblock rated at 150 watts. You'd think that'd be overkill for quiet times but it sounds really good at any volume when I use my Behringer MIC200 preamp with it. I can get surprisingly nice sounds even at low volumes. It really warms up the tone of an SS amp.

Check out an old Yamaha G100. Yamaha makes some good stuff and the first and second series were designed by Paul Rivera so they're no slouches. The build quality is very good and those amps kill with the right additions. The amps go for less than $200 all the time and, when you a tube preamp into one, they sound very nice. You can probably get both the preamp ($40 new) and the amp for less than $200, total.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Izvire

Tried some cheaper solutions, but they really weren't my thing. Atleast the hybrid Vox was pretty terrible.

I'll take another look.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Fender has some new cheap tube amps you may wanna check out. They're astonishingly ugly though.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #31
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

As I live with my parents currently, I just sold my 100 watt Marshall head with 4x12" cab and I still could play that in the evenings on low volume and not wake up anyone.

Maybe I should just buy the Orange head and cab, and try it out. If it turns out to be too loud, I'll go your way and use headphones and something with those.

What's the best option to go with headphones?

Low volume tones don't depend on the wattage. All amps with master volume controls can be turned down. Some amps just sound like crap at low volumes, again it doesn't have to do with wattage. For example my Laney VC30 sounds like crap when the volume is below 1. It's that kind of really fizzy thin sound. But volume at 1 and it sounds great - that's kind of loud volume or should I say not quiet (louder than TV), at least sometimes my parents bitch about it, but OK, they bitch if I play unplugged at night. Usually lower wattage amps have less features and they are actually meant to be cranked so they don't sound good at bedroom volumes.

Few tube amps have headphone outputs. The best thing to do is to go to a guitar store and try some amps at low volume and see if they sound good.

So how loud is your loud? If it's louder than TV, then tube amps could do it. But if you need to be whisper quiet, you need something with headphone output.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
Izvire

Caved in and went with the Orange. If that doesn't work out, I'll return it and try something else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make sure I look into those options if the Orange is too loud.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #33
bobafettacheese

I love my orange. Just be prepare for the volume difference between the clean and dirt channels. Enjoy the hell out of the amp and make sure to post a NAD.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #34
Izvire

The Orange arrived today. Sounds amazing, the volume difference between clean and dirty is pretty noticeable but I can live with it.

Not sure how my new neighbours are gonna feel about it, but I love it.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Nice rig! Happy NAD!

Last edited by lucky1978 : 11-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Quote:
Caved in and went with the Orange. If that doesn't work out, I'll return it and try something else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make sure I look into those options if the Orange is too loud.

Hey man. Get a volume pedal and put it in the effects loop. You can get it quieter and even out the channel volumes a bit as well. That's what I always do. An attenuator is really unnecessary.

The TH30 is pretty cool. I sort of miss mine. haha

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by My buddy, Maxwell
I think that's really what we want out of life. Sugar mommas and verellens.
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #37
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishNuRoXoUt
Hey man. Get a volume pedal and put it in the effects loop. You can get it quieter and even out the channel volumes a bit as well. That's what I always do. An attenuator is really unnecessary.

The TH30 is pretty cool. I sort of miss mine. haha

Will do. Got a month or so left before I move into the new apartment, so I can blast away at louder volumes at the moment.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #38
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Schweet!

Nice set-up dude! Hopefully it all works out for you.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #39
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Nice. Happy New Amp Day.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #40
bobafettacheese

Love the combo of the Gibson and the Orange, of course I am impartial. Enjoy the hell out it. Congrats on the new gear!
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: