Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
West Riding

America or England?

Obviously it's just a matter of taste and personal opinion, but who do you think has produced the best bands, England or America?
West Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Countdownguitar

Are talking about overall success or the quality of their music?
Countdownguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
West Riding

Both. Also a mixture of the two have been very successful, for example The a Jimmy Hendrix Experience, jimmy obviously bring an American and the drummer/bassist English. Also Fleetwood Mac.
West Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
baconblue

Best is a weird term - what about Most Influential - in modern times this has gotta be the the English bands
baconblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
IdigClapton99

England

I agree that both America and England have brought forth some of the most legendary titles in music history. Yes, the names Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, et cetera have contributed to the roots of the entire Rock genre, but, England's part (in my opinion) has had a greater influence upon the music we music "addicts" (Can we really live without it? Is there any other reason as to why you registered onto this website?) know and love. From Elvis, Chuck Berry, and many others, came (most notably) The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. The members of these bands were some who were directly influenced by the American Rock legends of the 1950s. From these two supergroups came artists like The Who, The Kinks, The Animals, The Velvet Underground, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath (who eventually created the genre of Metal due to their heavy sound) , CREAM, The Yardbirds, who established the careers of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page (Clapton: Derek and the Dominos, Beck: solo, Page: Led Zeppelin). With these groups and others, this created the LA Rock scene in the late '60s (The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham), etc.) and heavier artists like Aerosmith and Alice Cooper.

Last edited by IdigClapton99 : 01-10-2014 at 01:41 PM.
IdigClapton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
BooM13

I believe that this process changes the winner cyclical, it changes over time (20-30 years). The previous stage was for the Americans, the British and now begins.
Although my favorite, regardless of the time - this is America))
BooM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
gsutke503

I agree the scene is in a constant state of evolution. A songwriter borrows little snippets from the past and plays it to his style and that influences everyone else to continue to borrow and when that gets overplayed we move onto the next plane.

But...the American brand is king!
gsutke503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
ZeppelinSkynyrd

This is way too hard to answer. I give up.
ZeppelinSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
CJGunner7

I think America has produced more successful bands but for me the UK has produced far more great bands
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Domguy99
Hard Rock Guitarist

England's had some great bands, they definitely beat America, especially when it comes to classic rock. That's just my opinion.
Domguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
gsutke503

Also - - England (historically) doesn't seem to have had a jam scene in the likes of what the Grateful Dead grandfathered. In fact check out the whole GD Europe 72 collection...the crowds were practically starving for country rock/ psychedelic rock/ folk/ blues/ and all other genres an average dead show threw at ya!
gsutke503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
AngryHatter
Position Player

Thumbs up

Yes.
One influenced the other.
Neither happened in a vacuum.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
plaidypus

Probably England. Can't say that any of my top five favourite bands have been from anywhere but there...
plaidypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: