Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Sylvanshine

Best acoustic guitar under $300?

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar under $300. Preferrable body dimension:
Body Length: 19"
Body Width: 15".
Sylvanshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

You can't go wrong with Yamaha, I own the FG700MS and I love it, it was under 200$ too. You should go to a store though, they'll probably have some of the more popular models out there and it'll give you a good indication of what you like. For 300$ you should be able to get a solid top, just make sure you do!
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

mike's got it right. too bad you can't pick up his 700MS. he got one of the last ones( the dirty little bastard). for $199 US, you can get a new Yamaha FG700S or for $299 US, you can get the electric acoustic version. the onboard electronics do come in handy of you ever want to get an amp... some light effects can really wake it up. plus the onboard tuner is handy as heck.
.... you cold also go to Mike's house when he's at work and "borrow" his FG700MS while he's at work. don't forget to leave a thank you note and sign it "captainCranky".( if thats too many letters just sign it Tuxs)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
.... you cold also go to Mike's house when he's at work and "borrow" his FG700MS while he's at work. don't forget to leave a thank you note and sign it "captainCranky".( if thats too many letters just sign it Tuxs)
It all seems like such an innocuous practical joke and yet, why do I have this primal dread of being given a warning for "trolling" if he does it.....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Sylvanshine

I think the body is too big for me. I'm only 4'11". But it really has nice sound.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanshine
I think the body is too big for me. I'm only 4'11". But it really has nice sound.
Here's a thinline Yamaha: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/yama...electric-guitar But, it is a laminated top model.

It's probably best to have electronics in a thin body acoustic.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Sylvanshine

Yamaha APX500II is better than Ibanez AEG10II?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
stepchildusmc

my 4'11" girlfriend uses my dreads without much problem about the size( she plays horribly...but then again, you must look back at the teacher ). she does have better luck using my Ovations for longer as the bodies are more forgiving of ...umm...uhh... her upper body attributes. she does recognize that the sound quality just isn't there with them though. she'll practice on the Ovations and when she wants to actually play the song, she'll switch to a solid top guitar..she keeps eyeing my new Taylor and while i usually keep my guitars uncased, that one stays locked up.
most here Sylvan would shudder at the thought of a laminate top guitar. the solid tops sound so much better. that means that you'll be happier longer.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
It all seems like such an innocuous practical joke and yet, why do I have this primal dread of being given a warning for "trolling" if he does it.....

aww....who luvs ya buddy ?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

Sylvan if I find you in my house uninvited you'll have to meet my 12 gauge

If you're worried about the size, I played a Taylor Big Baby a few years back and I was very impressed with it, I believe the Baby model sells for 300 new if they still sell it, it's got a 7/8 body.
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
living_nations

I would go with the Fender T-Bucket 300ce Cutaway Dreadnought. Pretty good guitar for the money, crisp sounds, clean, very easy to tune.
living_nations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
peskypesky

Yamaha
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeYekim
Sylvan if I find you in my house uninvited you'll have to meet my 12 gauge

If you're worried about the size, I played a Taylor Big Baby a few years back and I was very impressed with it, I believe the Baby model sells for 300 new if they still sell it, it's got a 7/8 body.

The Taylor Big Baby is being phased out, replaced by the GS Mini. They'll still be available for order, direct from Taylor, for a couple more years, but stores aren't carrying them anymore. And the regular Baby Taylor (the super small one) is a terrible guitar.

Sylvan, if you want something small, I would highly recommend that you pony up another couple benjamins and get a Taylor GS Mini (they're $499 at most places). It's a mini sized guitar that's not built like a toy (like the Baby models). And it's got a solid top which, as others here have said, makes a huge difference. Upgrading to a solid wood top piece is the biggest difference between an ultra-cheap $100-$200 beginner package guitar, and a low-end but respectable budget guitar.

And if you'd rather have something that's got a small-ish body, but still a full scale size (not a "mini guitar", but rather just a "small body guitar"), you should go to any local store that carries Fender and try out a CF140. It's a smaller-than-a-dreadnought body, with a solid top, and it's only $300 at most places.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
MatrixClaw
UG God

+1 to the Yamaha 700 series. AWESOME guitars for the money... as in - I liked those far better than half of the $1500+ Taylors the last time I went into GC and tried out a ton of acoustics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
ghobby

Another vote for Yamaha. They do make an FS700 and an FS720 Like the FG only a grand auditorium instead of a dread. So a little bit smaller.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
jbm351

Yamaha makes some good ones
jbm351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
MikeRider

Hi ... i m very satisfied with my Fender T-Bucket ... plugged AND unplugged; and also my CRAFTER D-8 - really very TOP-Sound (could keep it up with many around 600-900 Guitars) but maybe just on the boarder of your price-level?!
MikeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
MikeRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_nations
I would go with the Fender T-Bucket 300ce Cutaway Dreadnought. Pretty good guitar for the money, crisp sounds, clean, very easy to tune.

... totally agree with mine
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
MikeRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanshine
Yamaha APX500II is better than Ibanez AEG10II?

i used to have the AEG 10 ... was not satisfied especially unplugged ... plugged it s quite ok ... the only nice thing is the quite small size for transport. After the Ibanez i bought the Fender T-Bucket, which is - as i already posted - outstanding good for it s price !
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRider
Hi ... i m very satisfied with my Fender T-Bucket ... plugged AND unplugged; and also my CRAFTER D-8 - really very TOP-Sound (could keep it up with many around 600-900 Guitars) but maybe just on the boarder of your price-level?!
I'll see your Crafter D-8, and raise you my left handed Crafter D-8-12....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRider
i used to have the AEG 10 ... was not satisfied especially unplugged ... plugged it s quite ok ... the only nice thing is the quite small size for transport. After the Ibanez i bought the Fender T-Bucket, which is - as i already posted - outstanding good for it s price !
They make an AEG18 in a leftie. I strummed while still on the wall at a local music shop, and didn't even bother to take it down. I was that unimpressed. It sounded sort of like "twangy cardboard". I have an AEL10, which isn't going to set the music world on its ear by any means, but does have some redeeming value, probably due to the jumbo body.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Rate This Thread: