Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
roorooroo

Unhappy Advice for a Pro?

Hi,
I've landed my second contract as a guitarist on a cruise ship.
Firstly, my knowledge is low of equipment, so bear with me! Thank you.

I'll tell you the on board specs:

Fender Frontman 212r guitar amp (solid state)
We cannot bring our own amp on board.

I used for the last contract a pedal board with:
Boss Super OD
Morley Wah
various other high quality effects.

Problems:
Sound was trebley and harsh - No warmth / sustain to tone - Solos were a nightmare and an embarrassment!
Wah went activated screamed the life out of everyone around me. Again - An embarassment.
Pedalboard heavy to carry about to and from gigs every day

I've been experimenting a lot with different pedals since I'm been back in the UK.
I took a trip to a guitar store which is popular in my area and spent a couple of hours trying out a wide variety of overdrives that were recommended to me for a solid state amp. At the same time being told that the tone will never be great.

Did a band rehearsal recently and tried a pod throughout the rehearsal.
I found the sound to be not as bad as I thought. Sustain on notes for solos, warmth in tone. Not to mention a huge array of effects. I hear bad reviews all throughout about it not being a professional floorboard and since having ordered one to take with me as a trial on the ship and in doubt as to whether it will give me the professional sound I now require playing to thousands of people every week.
I phoned the guitar store and the guy pretty much told me that I'm making a terrible mistake and that he thinks I'm mad. This further put doubt in my mind!

Doubts on the POD hd400:
Will take a lot of trial and error to key in sounds and is not all that great to tweak on the job in something doesn't sound great
Overdrive not great, but again this can be tweaked with time. But I don't have a lot of time!

Can I please please please have your recommendations and kind patient words with me If you had a professional cruise ship gig through a solid state would route would you take? Stomp Box or Processed?

Cheers
G

*edit* I will also be playing a huge variety of stuff from Tom Jones to Frank Sinatra to Musical songs to Lenny Kravitz

Last edited by roorooroo : 11-08-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added information
roorooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Get a POD HD500 and run it into the FX loop return of the amp.

This will get you very passible tones for anything you play and they are fairly cheap in the world of guitar gear
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

^this

you'll pretty much bypass all the shit and get the modelled tone

if you've got a while before the cruise you can hook up the HD500 to your own amp/computer and dial in some tones that will be pretty similar to waht the effects loop will produce.

aside from that, I really wouldn't go down the pedals route. It will always sound thin and picky through a SS. They just don't take pedals very well

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
plbrynt
zoof

I would go for a pre amp of some kind, something simple with knobs and no menus and stuff and I could stick with my favourite pedals and just use the power amp section of the amp.
something like
http://www.adaamps.com/index.htm

Last edited by plbrynt : 11-08-2013 at 09:29 AM.
plbrynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Do you know what amp will be available on board since you can't bring your own amp?
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I'd have a word with the sound guy (I;m assuming there'll be one) and see if it's possible to forego the amp completely and run something like a POD direct into the PA - would make life easier for both of you.

If you want to keep things ultra simple then you might want to look at something like a Tech 21 SansAmp - again that can run direct into the PA desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

If you MUST use the Frontman, the POD into the effects return is absolutely the best way to go, provided you have enough time with it to get comfortable. Get a set of headphones and you can spend any spare time you have tweaking it.

Your 'guitar store guy' is full of shit.

And remember that the vast majority of your audience is going to be mildly drunk and just want to be entertained, they expect competence - not perfection. (This from a regular cruiser BTW...)

Rate This Thread: