Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
nick.culliton

Need some amp advice...

Hi all,
I may seem new to this forum, but I am not. Logging in with facebook seems to have created a new account for me. My user name used to be r0ckth3d34n or whatever the hell it was, in case any of you remember me.

Anyway,
So for quite some time I have had a Peavey Transtube Bandit 80W 112, and it seems to be a little bit more amp than I see fit for myself. I enjoy the flexibility and the analog circuitry (no digital modeling in here), but I feel I need something different.

I've been thinking about tubes. Considering I like Peavey amps, and I'm not trying to spend a fortune, I was thinking about the Peavey Classic 30. It's reasonably priced and sized, and well, it has tubes!

But today, I was shown the new Orange Crush series, and I checked out demo videos about the CR60C. I know this is a solid state amp modeled after the Rockerverb. Rob Chapman made some good points. He said that a cheap tube amp wouldn't sound that great anyway, and the other guy said with that amp, tubes going out would never be an issue. I also like the CR60C because it's compact for a 12" combo, and I really enjoy the tones and flexibility it has.

Now for the dilemma:
I have no idea if going for either amp would be much of an upgrade. I feel like choosing the CR60C gets me better solid state circuitry and a nicer speaker, but overall won't sound that much different than my Peavey. I watched a demo where the guy played my guitar (a Fender Telecaster Deluxe 72) through an Orange CR60C (or 120, the controls were only visible) and it sounded pretty close to my current set up.

I don't like the idea of having to replace my tubes every so often. It would cost over $100 to get all the tubes replaced. I also don't know if it would be worth buying, and I'd be better off waiting and buying like a Vox AC30 or an actual Orange tube amp.

I don't gig much or play heavy music much like I used to. I just want some sparkly cleans and the ability to have some smooth gain.

So UG... help me out.
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Remnest

The Classic 30 is a nice amp. You can also consider an AC15. Truth be told i dont think either of your two replacement options will be a vast improvement over what you currently have. Id personally wait to afford something youll trully love and enjoy playing.

I also should say that tube replacement, especially for a bedroom player, is something which ud only have to do after many years. Unless one of them goes bad at random which is a small but potential situation. Concerning the costs of tube replacement it really comes down to the amount/type/brand of tubes youre buying. It can be cheaper than 100 or more.
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Multi's are big no no

If I were you I'd Edit your post to delete that part out and take your case to super mod and explain your situation. You need to find your old account and recover the password. Just sayin'

Otherwise, I'd go for the Classic 30 or a Vypyr 60.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
nick.culliton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Multi's are big no no

If I were you I'd Edit your post to delete that part out and take your case to super mod and explain your situation. You need to find your old account and recover the password. Just sayin'

Otherwise, I'd go for the Classic 30 or a Vypyr 60.

Haven't touched the account in months, and I barely use the site so I'm not too concerned. They can close that account.

I really don't understand the option of choosing polar opposites. Tubes or a digital modeling amp.
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: