Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
JakeFrmStatFarm

Where Should I be Investing my Money?

I know that at some point I want to improve my setup, get better equipment, a new guitar, etc. However, I am not rolling in money so I need to do this piece by piece... but I haven't a clue what pieces I should get first.

My current stuffs!

Epiphone S-210 from somewhere in the mid-90s
A California CG-15 practice amp
a Fender Sidekick 65 Bass amp (it's a giant ass thing)
Forgot to say this originally, but I also own the Vox amPlug AC30 and Metal

I also own a bass, but I haven't really touched that yet. The guitar is more than enough to learn for now.

My musical preferences are towards hard rock and metal, with bits and pieces of other things thrown in. Budget wise, I have no clue really. I probably can scrape 400 dollars together, and if I had to, I could get 600 maybe.

This is more so I can start planning ahead, than going out tomorrow and buying this stuff.

Oh! And since I saw a thread mention the need of telling where I'm from, I should probably tell ya. I live in the Midwest, US.

If you need anything else, just ask!

Have a great (insert appropriate time of day here)!

Last edited by JakeFrmStatFarm : 11-09-2013 at 02:41 AM.
JakeFrmStatFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

What you really need is a new amp

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
JakeFrmStatFarm

Any particular suggestions NJBB?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

First thing to do to IMPROVE your overall sound is to upgrade your amp. Nothing else you can buy matters more to your tone than the quality of the tubes and speaker cones tht deliver your skills to ears.

I'd look at:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Tweaker112/
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Orange-Tiny...r-Amp-/97129115

However, shaping your sound has a lot to with your pedal selection. For hard rock & metal, that means some distortion, maybe overdrive and some others. On a budget, I'd look for quality and versatility.

One to consider would be the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde: a dual-purpose distortion & overdrive pedal.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFTJp7AodrAEArQ

The MXR Carbon Copy delay:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CarbonCopy

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Sam-Russell

Your tone is roughly determined in this order:
Amp
Guitar / FX
Pickups

But you also need to bear in mind what you want to do. If you want to play live then the best possible amp to improve your sound is a good idea, if you just want to play at home for fun, a better quality instrument might be what you want to invest in.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
JakeFrmStatFarm

I'll just be playing at home. Nowhere near good enough to perform live. I'd have to hire an audience and/or threaten them.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

What sort of sound shape do you like? Lots of mids? Heavy/loose bass end? Lots of sag?

Stay classy, pit.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
JakeFrmStatFarm

That's a good question NJBB! (is that what you like being called?) Uhh... I honestly don't know. As far as personal experience goes, it's really limited. I've only ever played my one guitar, through those select pieces of equipment. Honestly, I don't know what to listen for, or quite what those mean, in practice. (Here's to hoping this isn't a forum where ignorance is attacked... ) I've only been playing guitar for maybe 6 or 9 months, but I've only been taking it seriously recently.

I'm really sorry that I couldn't be of more help! The best I can do is give genres, maybe a few select guitarists that I admire.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

Don't be so timid we're here to help you.

Who do you want to sound like? Who has a tone you enjoy?

Stay classy, pit.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
monwobobbo

do you have a decent guitar shop near you? if so then i'd consider saving as much as you can and then investigating the used dept. for your $600 you should be able to get a good amp and a better guitar. now I know people are saying get a way better amp but having a decent guitar is just as important. try to have money for a good set up for the guitar as that will make a world of difference. you may want to look at something like the Peavey Vypyr amps as they sound decent and have fx built in as well. great for a beginner
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I've seen Peavey JSX and XXX combos suggested in situations like yours, maybe pop over to a shop and see if you can demo one? Apparently, they have good cleans, and can do good mid-high gain well. And seem to go quite cheap used (300$ ish)

May work, not sure yet as you haven't given us too big an idea of what music you wanna play
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
ikey_

the guitar most mostly help you play better, which can be big, but not really a huge contribution to your overall tone. pickups matter lots, probably more than the guitar itself, and if you need something like a Floyd, well, then you need it.

however, i would say #1 amp no question. then quality any type, setup of effects pedals. have the right effects can make a rig quieter, and be far far better than just BS cheap ones. even they are kinda pointless if you are running through a bad amp.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFrmStatFarm
I know that at some point I want to improve my setup, get better equipment, a new guitar, etc. However, I am not rolling in money so I need to do this piece by piece... but I haven't a clue what pieces I should get first.

In the immortal words of Maria Muldar, "It Ain't The Meat.."

I've been through (and still have) a lot of amps and guitars.

At this point, however, I can go to some gigs and most practices with little more than a guitar and a Pod HD stuffed in the gig bag pocket.

Your guitar is the most important bit of the whole interface; it is, after all, What You Play -- it's your instrument. It's not SO important What it is (the "which is better, a _____ or a ________?" threads notwithstanding) as it is that you develop such a deep familiarity with it that you really don't have to look down to know where you are on the neck; your muscles will simply take you to the right spot at the speed of thought.

I'll spend money on a really good initial setup for the guitar, complete with a PLEK job and a fret superglue (if you don't know what those things are, ask) before anything else. And I'll do that on a $200 guitar as quickly as on a $4000 guitar, even though that setup will probably cost more than the cheap guitar itself. By the time it's over, both of those guitars will play the same. Having a well-set-up guitar is worth more than any amp or FX.

I love tube amps and all the little nuances they bring to the game, and I've got at least 15 of them. But a good modeler (Pod HD, Axe-FX, 11R, Kemper, etc.) can now bring so much of that as well, and it's SO much more versatile (and SO much lighter <G>) and a lot more practical. The trick is in setting it up.

After that, you can run it into a whole raft of output devices. For example, I have AKG240 headphones for quiet practice anywhere. No screaming wives or neighbors. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8s for nearfield personal practice in a small room. I have Atomic Reactor (tube-amp-powered cabs) that can function as combo amps of either 18 or 50W at small gigs. I have a pair of fEARless F115s (each cabinet has a 15" LF driver, a 5" mids and a 1" tweeter) that can handle up to 900W apiece, and I have a 1500W power amp to push them. These cabinets are around 40 lbs each and were originally designed as full-range bass cabs; I use them for bass, modeled guitar and keys (I play all three and started as a keyboard player). They'll blow SVTs and Marshall stacks off the stage, and teach aggressive drummers what loud really is. And finally, the modeler can run direct to the PA.

While there will be a bit of EQ to be done depending on the output device, my entire set list of amps, cab simulators and FX can be handled within one electronic gizmo, and I don't have to worry about the snarl of cables and connectors, the wall warts and power distribution systems, the fragility of tubes and transformers, the positioning of the mike(s), etc. that goes on with a traditional setup. The guitar goes into the Pod, I dial up User Bank Whatever and play.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Your guitar is the most important bit of the whole interface; it is, after all, What You Play -- it's your instrument. It's not SO important What it is (the "which is better, a _____ or a ________?" threads notwithstanding) as it is that you develop such a deep familiarity with it that you really don't have to look down to know where you are on the neck; your muscles will simply take you to the right spot at the speed of thought.

I'll spend money on a really good initial setup for the guitar, complete with a PLEK job and a fret superglue (if you don't know what those things are, ask) before anything else. And I'll do that on a $200 guitar as quickly as on a $4000 guitar, even though that setup will probably cost more than the cheap guitar itself. By the time it's over, both of those guitars will play the same. Having a well-set-up guitar is worth more than any amp or FX.

I won't go as far as this, but a well set-up guitar that you feel comfortable playing is absolutely crucial. If you aren't comfy when you play, you won't play. And that means you won't improve.

The same applies to the parts and build quality of the guitar. Bad tuners will discourage development as he process of consantly retuning becomes a chore. Bad electronics put noise into your signal..or kill it.

Quote:
I love tube amps and all the little nuances they bring to the game, and I've got at least 15 of them. But a good modeler (Pod HD, Axe-FX, 11R, Kemper, etc.) can now bring so much of that as well, and it's SO much more versatile (and SO much lighter <G>) and a lot more practical. The trick is in setting it up.

I have found that portable digital modelers are among the best investments I have ever made as a guitarist.

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...554-i1124641.gc

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. The PX4 is discontinued, but it can still be easily found. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
gregs1020
Hi mom!

you got me in a lot of shit with the wife calling at 3AM.

jake from state farm.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
you got me in a lot of shit with the wife calling at 3AM.

jake from state farm.

Khakis!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
JakeFrmStatFarm

Alright! Time to supply a little more information!

After some thought (and quite a few Youtube vids) I've decided that Charlie Parra del Riego has the sound that I want the most. Hell, he has the playingstyle I want too. (Him and Morgan Freeman could turn my heterosexual existence around).

I don't have a guitar store near me, but I travel around quite a bit because of family, and all of them have guitar stores near them, and I'll be visiting for Thanksgiving later this month.

I'm looking to work up to playing hard rock and metal. My tastes are pretty varied, going from Shinedown to Metallica to Opeth to Eluveitie to Epica to Saturnus, so it's hard to just point to a single thing and say "I want to play THAT" because as of now, all of that seems unfathomably far from my level, and there are so many things I want to learn to play. The joys of being a new guitarist!

Sorry 'bout that Greg! Hope it doesn't happen again!

I think that answered all the questions. If I missed one, just pipe up.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

From what I've seen of him, it looks like he's using EMGs- a kind of active (battery powered) pickup. Those a pretty popular among metal guitarists.

As such, the brands that metal guitarists favor will have lots of EMG-equipped guitars in their product line- you're probably going to see Ibanez, Schecter, BC Ritch and Dean all over the place.

However, if you see a Fernandes or Godin with active pickups, give them a try.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-10-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #19
JakeFrmStatFarm

I'll keep EMGs and those brands in mind then Danny. Thanks.

Last edited by JakeFrmStatFarm : 11-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
evmac
Baroness Lover

I would sell all your equipment on Ebay, Craigslist, or whatever and buy a decent guitar to start. If you go used you could find a nice ESP LTD 400 series guitar for around 400-500 dollars easily. With your left over money I would invest in the best amp/modeller you can afford and then upgrade to a tube amp later. Tone is important at some point, but the development of your playing is more important and a good guitar that is really playable, doesn't fret out, sound muddy, go out of tune easily is really important. Your Epiphone probably doesn't fit this criteria.

With technology today you can get more than passable tones to practice with until you have the money for a tube amplifier.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: