User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many_hobbies
The difference is we are not comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari. More like a Camaro ZL1 to a Corvette. The fields are not that far apart

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
T00DEEPBLUE
Sharpedophile

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
The difference is we are not comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari. More like a Camaro ZL1 to a Corvette. The fields are not that far apart

Oh no you didn't.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
samuraigoomba

Marginal quality over a hot-rodded Epi? I'm not sure that statement is correct. I mean sure, if quality is just a subjective term, then whatever. I can just say I prefer my Tokai to a vintage 1956 Fender American Strat, and it's true because shit is subjective. But the Gibson is probably going to have way better wood, be constructed better, be worth more if you ever decide to sell, look nicer, age better, and stand up to the rigors of daily use and touring better than the Epi.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
Roc8995

Shhh, you're ruining it. If you want to help you need to start pretending that tone exists in percents and saying that anything over $600 is for snobs. I bet you've even played a few before, haven't you? Probably more than two models, even. You make me sick.

Seriously, though, it's hard to reconcile a lot of these ideas because some people who are just starting out, or on a smaller budget, see a $3K guitar and think, that's absurd, it can't be worth that much. And people who have maybe collected a bunch of gear, or have more to spend, look at a $500 guitar and think, why buy that if there's something better?
Anyway, it's a bit of sour grapes on one end and a bit of snobbery on the other, but I think saying that the quality difference is marginal is just not accurate to most people.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
2many_hobbies

Sorry, Gibby's hit and miss quality kills me. I've picked up $3k LP's that I wouldn't thank you for. I'll take an Elite/Elitist over any $3K gibby...
2many_hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Roc8995

You know you can actually pick the one you buy, right? They don't make you spin a roulette wheel in the store and just ring you up with a random guitar. If you find a really good one you can actually just go home with it. QC issues are such a dead horse, they still make good guitars.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

and whatever you do, do not play any old tokai les pauls from the 80s.

those things are complete crap.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
Roc8995

I heard they were made in Asia so they suck.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #30
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
and whatever you do, do not play any old tokai les pauls from the 80s.

those things are complete crap.

I'm surprised that people do the "agile/epiphone are better than gibson" argument around here, but I tend not to hear so much about "tokai/edwards/greco/fernandes are better than gibson."

Yet I think most people would admit that Tokai > Agile/Epiphone. Tokais aren't even much more expensive than Epiphones and Agiles. I paid $350+ shipping for mine. You can get an older Tokai for about the same as an upper-end Epiphone or Gibson Studio.

There seems to be less of a motive to "prove" that Tokai > Gibson, because a lot of Tokai owners also own Fender and Gibson guitars. The posts I've seen on Tokai > Gibson were not too harsh on the Gibsons. I dunno, I suppose there could be some corner of the internet full of Tokai love and Gibbo hate.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
I'm surprised that people do the "agile/epiphone are better than gibson" argument around here, but I tend not to hear so much about "tokai/edwards/greco/fernandes are better than gibson."

Yet I think most people would admit that Tokai > Agile/Epiphone. Tokais aren't even much more expensive than Epiphones and Agiles. I paid $350+ shipping for mine. You can get an older Tokai for about the same as an upper-end Epiphone or Gibson Studio.

There seems to be less of a motive to "prove" that Tokai > Gibson, because a lot of Tokai owners also own Fender and Gibson guitars. The posts I've seen on Tokai > Gibson were not too harsh on the Gibsons. I dunno, I suppose there could be some corner of the internet full of Tokai love and Gibbo hate.

there is.

we tokai fans like to keep it on the hush.

so don't pay any attention to my posts about tokai in the les paul thread. all bullshit.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 11-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
2many_hobbies

I don't hate Gibby either, I just don't like inconsistency and price gouging. I'll never own one unless their pricing comes into reality. Its the same crap that GM pulled in recent years and admitted.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
there is.

we tokai fans like to keep it on the hush.

so don't pay any attention to my posts about tokai in the les paul thread. all bullshit.

Well, I'm loving my Tokai strat so much that my first Les Paul is almost certainly going to be a Tokai. MIC or MIJ, not sure which.

No doubt I'll be boarding the gibbo hate train before long! Gotta justify that purchase!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Why Toyota makes cars and so does Ferrari, it makes perfect sense to use that comparison. One is a "cheap" car company the other is very "expensive".

You young guys that can not afford/don't want to afford a certain tier of guitars are funny. Besides Epiphone is the cheap line of Gibson

But your obviously an expert on this subject so........

Go hold your Epi in the dark and tell it, it is the best

PS: GM makes really inexpensive cars for the most part. Sounds like someone needs to find a decent job to me with all the bitching your doing about expensive this and that.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 11-13-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
RobinTH
Epiphone ID Expert

These Epiphone Vs. Gibson threads always crack me up. I love Epiphones and am a huge Epiphone fan, obviously. But even I can see the glaring differences between the two brands. A quick glance at a spec sheet between two similar Epi & Gibson models is more than enough to get an idea of their dissimilarities. And a little more research will show you just how different they really are...even though they are very similar at the same time.

The part that kills me about these arguments is that between the higher ends Epis and the lower end Gibsons, the line of quality and value has been purposely blurred by the Gibson Corporation over the past ten or twenty years, yet people still argue about which is better. Epiphone even uses Gibson and other high end parts to help facilitate that blurring, while Gibson makes low-end, lesser quality models with scetchy construction & QC for the same reason. The funny thing is, while Epiphone and Gibson are happy to be in bed with eachother, their customers argue about the differences like the company are still rivals. HAHA! Jokes on you, suckas!
RobinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
2many_hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Why Toyota makes cars and so does Ferrari, it makes perfect sense to use that comparison. One is a "cheap" car company the other is very "expensive".

Go hold your Epi in the dark and tell it, it is the best

PS: GM makes really inexpensive cars for the most part. Sounds like someone needs to find a decent job to me with all the bitching your doing about expensive this and that.

A) "Toyota VS Ferrari" would be comparing an entry level Epi LP100 to a gibbo custom. But we're talking an Epi Pro thats been hot rodded further. If you dont like the camaro/vette comparason, lets use buick/cadillac

B) I never said the Epi was best, better or equivalent. Don't put words in my mouth

C) I make as much as your average HS principal, but I also believe in the old addage that a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm not falling for marketing schemes in anything I buy.

All I'm saying is that the Gibson products are highly overrated. Their QC control is consistent...consistently hit and miss. People buy into the crap that NA made is automatically better and Pacific rim is crap. Fine, Japanese made instruments were consistently good....not just good, but excellent. Korea, is becoming the new Japan.
Why? Dedication. Unlike the typical under-worked, overpaid, complacent, union minded, under-performing north american worker who "wants more" before they "DO more". Trust me, I deal with this crap ALL THE TIME.

There's a reason Gibson quashed the Elitist line. It hurt their sales...and their pride.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
Robbgnarly

Quote:
A) "Toyota VS Ferrari" would be comparing an entry level Epi LP100 to a gibbo custom. But we're talking an Epi Pro thats been hot rodded further. If you dont like the camaro/vette comparason, lets use buick/cadillac

B) I never said the Epi was best, better or equivalent. Don't put words in my mouth

C) I make as much as your average HS principal, but I also believe in the old addage that a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm not falling for marketing schemes in anything I buy.

All I'm saying is that the Gibson products are highly overrated. Their QC control is consistent...consistently hit and miss. People buy into the crap that NA made is automatically better and Pacific rim is crap. Fine, Japanese made instruments were consistently good....not just good, but excellent. Korea, is becoming the new Japan.
Why? Dedication. Unlike the typical under-worked, overpaid, complacent, union minded, under-performing north american worker who "wants more" before they "DO more". Trust me, I deal with this crap ALL THE TIME.

There's a reason Gibson quashed the Elitist line. It hurt their sales...and their pride.

Gibson's low end (Studio, Special) do vary in quality, I'll give you that. But once you get past that the QC is pretty damn good. There is a reason people refer to MIA as superior, in most cases it really is. I'll give you MIJ has great stuff, but it is as expensive as MIA these days

Gibson stopped the Elitist for the USA because the guitars were not selling well here. Not because they were better or worse instuments. The Elitist was the only line with hurt sales.

Before you hop on this forum and act like you know something, do a little research so you at least look like you know what your talking about
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #38
samuraigoomba

For the price, I would personally rather go MIJ than MIA, and I would even argue that MIJ is a little bit cheaper than MIA if you are shopping for certain kinds of guitars (bolt-on master race!)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
dazza027

Here we go again, this old chestnut.... Ive disregarded all that's been said before... Gibson is better than Epiphone. Why? Because Epiphone is owned by Gibson, and Gibson say themselves that Gibson is better than Epiphone, and priced accordingly. End of story. Sure, each one is different, some are duds. But you'll get that variation across all brands of guitar. PLEASE MAKE A STICKY re Gibson and Epiphone!!!
Jackson Performer PS-1
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #40
marantz1300

If you were rich and cost didn't matter.
You would buy a Gibson, even if they were very similar.
How many super stars play Epi's?
marantz1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: