Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
boyd98

Suggestions, moving 11 guitars - cheap cases?

Moving from US to Canada.

the move is handled by my work. if they break it they buy it.

I have:

road worn strat
mex strat
mex tele
japan Ibanez Prestigage
Premium Jem
Yamaha acoustic
worn Gibson SG
Agile LP copy
PRS SE Custom 22
crappy 87 washburn (gonna sell before i move i think)

I have an SG case, an Jem Case, two soft bags, and thats it

I need 5 more. Debating on soft case vs hardcase...anyone have any links to cheap cases (that don't have nails sticking out inside).

Looking for any suggestions. don't want my guitars damaged, but if they DID get damaged. I'd probably get paid for them and get a $$$ guitar that i want.
boyd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

i'd get a softcase and maybe stuff the case with bubble wrap? Also a bit personal but why are you moving to Canada?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
boyd98

No worries man.

Moving to Victoria for 3yr assignment. Support the hospital systems (EMR).....

Should be a good time. I didn't even know about vancouver island; never snows there
Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Auriemma
Still Strummin'

Photograph and document every guitar including how its packed. Give the moving company no excuses.

GC has a basic case HSC (like $50-80). I got one thrown in on a purchase for $40. You might be able to get a quantity discount at your local store. If you go that way, pack them well with bubble wrap.
Ovation '06 Elite-T 1868T
Bradley '77 LP Custom
Boss GT-100
Auriemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Look at Gator. Not necessarily cheap, but good.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
D_M_I
Omniscient

Not ideal, but when I shipped mine to Afghanistan, I removed the neck and put it into a tuff bin siminlar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tuff-Bin-...k/dp/B004Q0JMWM

Packed well and padded etc, you could fit several in one box for the cost of one guitar case.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Look at Gator. Not necessarily cheap, but good.
+1 Although they're not especially cheap, they're not ridiculously expensive either.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
samuraigoomba

Just go on ebay and look at used cases. A few hundred bucks for a bunch of cases shouldn't kill your budget.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Roc8995

The Fenders you could just bungie cord to the moving truck bumper and they'll be fine. I bet just a few rolls of bubble wrap and some packing tape would be fine, just to keep them from getting scuffed. The rest of those, especially the acoustic and the Gibson/Agiles - I just wouldn't trust them in anything but a case. Maybe they'd be fine, maybe they wouldn't, but jeez, why don't you have a case for them all already? Those are nice guitars, they need a home.

Anyway, if getting a case for all of those really isn't an option, go get a bunch of guitar boxes from Guitar Center (they'll save them for you if you ask ahead of time) and pack them in there, probably in a garbage bag or something reasonably waterproof, and then a bunch of newspaper (NOT PACKING PEANUTS) and large sheets of styrofoam, if you can find it. Even then I'd at least get a $10 gig bag for each of them before they went in the box.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
jpnyc

Movers can handle solidbody guitars just fine if you stick them in gig bags. You can usually score used gig bags cheap because so many guitars come with them. Use the hard cases you have and get another for the acoustic. The electrics can go in slim gig bags, and then pack them all into a tall box with blankets or coats in between them—I have done this with wardrobe boxes in the past.

Make sure you take at least one guitar with you when you move. Movers often lie about how soon your stuff will come and it may not actually show up for a few weeks.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
stormin1155

For cheap, go to your local guitar store and ask for some of the boxes guitars are shipped in. They usually have a pile in the back and will often give you some or maybe charge a couple dollars each.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
DUISparky

In addition to all the other advice I would add just one more thing: Loosen the strings on all your guitars. I don't know what the change in elevation will be for you, but drastic elevation changes can cause drastic changes in string tension, possibly damaging your guitars. This is more common when taking guitars on airplanes, but if you are moving from, let's say 8,000 ft elevation to sea level, or vice versa, the string tension change can be substantial as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
boyd98

Thanks fellas - appreciate the feedback -
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
deadsmileyface
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Fenders you could just bungie cord to the moving truck bumper and they'll be fine. I bet just a few rolls of bubble wrap and some packing tape would be fine, just to keep them from getting scuffed. The rest of those, especially the acoustic and the Gibson/Agiles - I just wouldn't trust them in anything but a case. Maybe they'd be fine, maybe they wouldn't, but jeez, why don't you have a case for them all already? Those are nice guitars, they need a home.

Anyway, if getting a case for all of those really isn't an option, go get a bunch of guitar boxes from Guitar Center (they'll save them for you if you ask ahead of time) and pack them in there, probably in a garbage bag or something reasonably waterproof, and then a bunch of newspaper (NOT PACKING PEANUTS) and large sheets of styrofoam, if you can find it. Even then I'd at least get a $10 gig bag for each of them before they went in the box.

this
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i buy guitars from japan regularly.

some with cases, but usually not.

the guitars are wrapped in bubble wrap in about three layers around each side, top, bottom, etc such that the entire guitar looks like the michelin man.

those crazy packers even wrap the strings ffs.

they are placed in a double thick box and supported all the way around by more foam, bubble wrap or empty boxes (inside the large box) to keep them from shifting.

putting a nylon band around the box makes for a nice handle, and keeps the transport easy for those moving it every step of the way.

some put "feet" on the boxes so they remain upright.

here is a nice thread by dangerdog/meestursparkle on how he packs a guitar.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/ven...-long-post.html

i received a korina flying V in a gig bag packed in this manner from him. not a scratch, dent, break, nothing.

every broken guitar i've received from japan was broken prior to packing. yes, i buy broken guitars from 6000 miles away.

don't judge me.

bolt on neck guitars are a breeze. take the neck off, wrap necks and bodies in bubble, put them in a box and tape it shut. so long as it's a sturdy box you should be fine. no bags or cases needed. that is assuming you know how to set up a guitar.

the jem has a case so just follow the case method as seen above. no reason to de-neck that one since it has a case.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 11-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
don't judge me.

judging

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
gregs1020
Hi mom!

lawyers never listen.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: