Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
gabrielstena

New electric guitar

Hello!

My name is Andy and I started playing electric guitar in January 2013, when I bought myself a Squier Jazzmaster. After that I pretty much never gone back to my "classical" nylon string baby.

Now I want to upgrade to a better guitar and I have considered lots and lots of different guitars...but really can't decide. I am into a lot of different things but mainly blues/garage rock thing (Rolling Stones/Black Keys-ish sound), Hendrix/Frusciante tones and even some jangly Smiths/R.E.M. stuff.

What I want is basically a guitar with good versatility, nice tones and good playability. The ones that I have tested and liked the most so far were:
  • Fender Strat (MiM or AM)
  • Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH (with coiltap)
  • Gibson Midtown Custom (will add Bigsby and change pickups if I get this one)
  • Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul (will add Bigsby if I get one)

What do you recommend? I am open for any suggestions

Last edited by gabrielstena : 11-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
gabrielstena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Roc8995

What amp are you using?

It's pretty hard to suggest things out of that list, they're all good guitars and it's really up to you which one to get.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
gabrielstena

I am using a Fender Superchamp X2 - IMO it's a great practice amp. Gives me great cleans and works great with my "Big Muff" fuzz pedal for dirtier sounds.

BTW, the list is just to show what I enjoyed playing, feel free to suggest something else!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Did you mean Gibson Midtown Classic, like this one?

http://reverb.com/item/24113-new-20...CFSEV7Aod93wAXQ

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
gabrielstena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Did you mean Gibson Midtown Classic, like this one?

http://reverb.com/item/24113-new-20...CFSEV7Aod93wAXQ

No, I meant "Midtown Custom"

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...own-Custom.aspx
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Roc8995

Right, but you wrote "Fender" as the brand.

Those Midtowns are really good.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
gabrielstena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Right, but you wrote "Fender" as the brand.

Those Midtowns are really good.

Oops
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

So, you're in the $700-1400 budget range?

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
gabrielstena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
So, you're in the $700-1400 budget range?

Right now I have about 13'000 SEK which is almost 2000$/1450€ saved up for guitar but money isn't really a concern as I got pretty much my whole salary just for myself
Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

On the Strat front, let me first say there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the Fender Strat. It's a classic for a reason. However, I personally don't like Fenders. There's just something about them that doesn't work with my personal ergonomics & pecadillos. I've tried to buy them, but it never worked for me.

So when I look at Strats, I look at everyone else's versions...and there are some good ones out there! In your price range and your stated preferences, I would advise you to consider Strat-style guitars from Godin, G&L, Carvin or US Masters. I also like the Fernandes ones, but they're aimed more at hard rockers.

(Given your location, a new Carvin might not be as good a deal- they're not as good a bargain outside the USA- but a used one could still be a steal.)

Currently, the only "Strats" I personally own are Fret-King- a very nice English maker, but not everyone wants to deal with the hassles of importing a guitar- and a custom jobbie from RockBeach. But I have Strats from each of those makers listed above on my "G.A.S. list.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

On the Gibson front...well, again, I'm not going to knock them.

However, I'd try to find something of similar quality that is already tricked out the way I want rather than buying a new guitar with an eye towards modding it.*

There are lots of nice semihollows similar to the Midtown out there that already have some kind of tremolo...often a Bigsby. Consider the Hagstrom Deuce F Tremar (among other Hags), the higher-end ibanez Art series, the Godin 5th Avenue Uptown GT, Gretsch, and Reverend guitars. Heck, there may even be a Gibson or Epi already made like you want- check their website!

(And again, Carvin has stuff you might like, but it would probably not be worth it for you to import it from the USA- mentioned for completeness.)

* there are always exceptions- I'm planning in buying a particular mid-priced guitar to drop some specific pickups into, for a specific reason, and that combo does not exist.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielstena
Oops

It's OK- I have no idea how I put "classic" in there!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
gabrielstena

The Hagstroms definitely look interesting, will see if I can get my hands on one of them.
Has anyone tried the Italia Mondial guitars? They seem a bit quirky but ridiculously cool!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
gabrielstena

bump
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

My thoughts on exotics:

I haven't heard to much about the Italias, but I do think they bring a certain off-beat retro swagger & attitude to the table with their visual aesthetic. In that, they're like Reverends, Eastwoods, Airlines, Phantoms, or Backlunds.

I'm not telling you to buy or not buy one. However, I am building my collection following my own pole-star.

Sometimes, I have taken a little leap of faith on a brand that is fairly obscure or not even available in my area. I had to buy to try..and I have been pretty happy with the results. so far, i havent bought anything I hate, and i have found a few real gems along the way.

But my mindset is that- unless the thing is an unplayable piece of junk- I will at least have something interesting to hang on the wall. And I try to buy from reputable dealers, just in case the thing IS an unplayable piece of junk.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Roc8995

I've played several Italias, they were all poorly made. I think they focused way too much on being funky and retro, and didn't bother actually making a decent guitar. I wouldn't call them unplayable, or junk, but you're clearly not paying primarily for the sound or playability with Italia, at least not from what I experienced.

For a collector, sure, I guess if you don't mind having something that just looks neat. For a first serious guitar, I'd get something else. Hagstrom and Fender both make excellent and consistent guitars, Gibson makes excellent guitars but not consistently, so if you get one of those just make sure you try the one you're going to buy.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I've played several Italias, they were all poorly made. I think they focused way too much on being funky and retro, and didn't bother actually making a decent guitar. I wouldn't call them unplayable, or junk, but you're clearly not paying primarily for the sound or playability with Italia, at least not from what I experienced.

So...they're kind of like Italian sports cars- design first, function second. Or third.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Roc8995

Design first, then lunch.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Mmmm...lunch.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
gabrielstena

Allright, I have checked out 2 Hagstroms - Viking and Deuce with f-hole and they both felt really neat. Great looks, sound and overall feel. However, the Deuce felt quite heavy and that kinda put me off.

As for Strats... the ones I tried now felt very bland, especially compared to Hagstroms or the Jag. The Gibson Midtown felt solid - not super spectacular, but very (very very) good overall.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll say what bought when I finally do it!

Rate This Thread: