Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
coman91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Tab rating system

One quick suggestion for improving the rating system. Make it so that only contributing members can rate tabs. Not only should you be a UG member to rate other people's material, but you should also be a contributor yourself. Why? Because if you're a decent contributor you know the hard work that can go into tabbing, and you'll better be able to rate someone else's efforts and will be more willing to give feedback in the form of comments or pm's.

The way the system is set up now leaves contributors vulnerable to lazy raters or people who are spiteful and may give you a really poor rating just to mess with you.

Prime example:

I wrote a tab for "Funk #49" by Black Keys that was damned near perfect and some guy gave me 1/5 stars. The guy literally just made the profile that day. He had, like, 3 profile views (if that) and he wasn't a contributor. When I left him a polite message asking for feedback on how to improve the tab, I got no response.

Part of me thinks that the rating system isn't that important. That no one really cares about it. Then I stop and realize just how big of an impact the rating system has on how I view tabs. When I do a tab search, I don't usually bother with anything rated below 4 stars unless the higher rated stuff isn't really that good.

If this doesn't sound feasible, at least make it mandatory for raters to leave a comment of 20-40 characters or something. At least give the contributors some written feedback instead of a poor rating and no feedback to improve the tab with.
coman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
6atekeeper
Registered User
 
6atekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I agree with this suggestion. A few of my tabs have been subject to Trolls as I call them who just give bad ratings because they get off on it.
__________________
"You shot Church you Team Killing F*cktard!" PFC Lavernius Tucker Red Vs. Blue Ep. 8 Season 1 (Don't Ph34r The Reaper)
6atekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
robbarrie
Registered User
 
robbarrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I agree 100% what with coman91 said. Any monkey can click a star. If you have not contributed an X amount of tabs, and even then they were badly done, you shouldn't be given the right to slander somebody hard work cuz you wanna be dick. At this point, it works on the honor system, but it should be earned as a privilege not a right...anyone caught doing this should be given the boot.

I also want to address the star system, 5 is excellent, 4 is accurate. Isn't a bit ******ed, if somebody is accurate, it should be considered excellent No ? I think that 4 stars should be something like needs tweeking or almost. It's not insulting, to say that you think it could be perfect "if" but accurate is accurate. I know were not doing math here but it may be a good idea to check the word accurate in the dictionary.
robbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
fanapathy
B-Tuned
 
fanapathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Yes these spiteful 1 star ratings happen. There's a thread "Good tab, bad rating" where a moderator can help you out with an unfair rating http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1358581
It's true that ratings are very important and that a 4 star tab won't get many views if there's a 5 star available.

I disagree with only contributors being allowed to rate, while I agree they're definitely more qualified - there are far fewer contributors using tabs than other users (they gain transcribing, learn-by-ear skills and stop having to use tabs). It would lead to very few tabs getting rated at all.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Joshua Garcia
Registered User
 
Joshua Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
I disagree with only contributors being allowed to rate, while I agree they're definitely more qualified - there are far fewer contributors using tabs than other users (they gain transcribing, learn-by-ear skills and stop having to use tabs). It would lead to very few tabs getting rated at all.
This, exactly. Tabs would pretty much get nowhere with ratings.

However, and this has been suggested quite a few times, it should be made so that anyone who rates 2 stars or lower must leave a reason as to why. That would help out with the tab rating system.

If not, then continue using the thread fanapathy posted.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia : 11-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
henrihell
Registered User
 
henrihell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
anyone who rates 2 stars or lower must leave a reason as to why.

This is the solution we're looking for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.


Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?



Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Sam Rulez D00d
no one
 
Sam Rulez D00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
I'd like to see a system similar to the approval queue but for tabs. For example, if you don't rate 5/5, you should have to comment as to why.

It's frustrating when you think you've made a perfect tab, and then someone rates low and doesn't tell you what to correct.
Sam Rulez D00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
newg
Gwen
 
newg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: France
I agree too with this suggestion
newg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
robbarrie
Registered User
 
robbarrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Tabbers try to do they're best and to try to make accurate tabs to the songs, and it nice to see someone has recognized or rated your efforts, fairly but we don't own the song, so why should we care? It keeps us motivated, and we learn as we go. Yes, it can happen as ppl can be rude and are free do as they please, but if they had to take the time to tab, in order to rate they will have a better understand what it takes sometimes, to get it right and won't be stupid about rating. You don't wanna scare ppl off, but to offend good members by letting it slide is not good either. I rather see it go unrated than let someone being an ass rate a good tab 1 or 2 stars, because they haven't earned the right to vote because they haven't made at least one tab, gimme a break. It's not too much to ask, really ! If you can't play it, then either your not at that level or it's not a good tab (for what ever reason) but most will be able to know the difference, so why should you be able to vote if don't know, or can't, either way, never have tabbed before? Rating should not be taken lightly, plus you learn so much more to create than just imitate anyways.
robbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Joshua Garcia
Registered User
 
Joshua Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbarrie
Tabbers try to do they're best and to try to make accurate tabs to the songs, and it nice to see someone has recognized or rated your efforts, fairly but we don't own the song, so why should we care? It keeps us motivated, and we learn as we go. Yes, it can happen as ppl can be rude and are free do as they please, but if they had to take the time to tab, in order to rate they will have a better understand what it takes sometimes, to get it right and won't be stupid about rating. You don't wanna scare ppl off, but to offend good members by letting it slide is not good either.
I'm gonna go ahead and stop you there because it's not like they're ENTIRELY helpless to it. Like, again, fanapathy JUST posted a link to the thread to resolve any rating abuse.

I also think you're missing something. Anyone willing to make even one tab can obviously learn and eventually, tab songs accurately for themselves.

This is how I started, actually. I originally planned to do one song. But then I kept learning and getting better. Now I learn any song I want to learn by myself. If I had to give a total on other tabber's tabs I've rated since signing up, it would probably be less than 30. And again, this is why the tab rating system would lead nowhere. Probably to the point where it would be like not even having one.

Besides, the 'leave a comment explaining why' method seems more effective. Both because you would actually be getting feedback every time, and because it would lower random/inappropriate ratings. They've mentioned they're looking into a solution like this several times before (^just look 4 comments up), so just be patient. It'll get better.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia : 11-24-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
robbarrie
Registered User
 
robbarrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bla-bla-bla

It's all in good fun and it should be like that, I agree there doesn't have to be a rating system, however getting rid is not likely to be the answer either. We look at the rating and usually try the highest first, why (re invent the wheel) go any farther if it sounds good. If not then check the others or make one yourself for the benefit of all. I have also played many and thought, I should go back and rate that tab they did a great job, but didn't, but I didn't rate it as 1 or 2 out of 5 either?. Bottom line is how can the forum control people from behaving badly. Most ppl won't rate a good tab badly, unless it was by accident or taking it personal for what ever reason. The only thing we can do right now is, if we see a good tab rated badly, comment and rate it then ourselves. Then take note of it...if you know what I mean. What comes around usually goes around.
Personally I try to collect tabs for personal jam nights. I don't care who made it, if it sound good, then we'll go with it. I put them up on the big screen, and we can all play along. It's just a collection, it means nothing and is worth nothing, accept for time and effort ppl put in to make them. I respect that, because I've done it, contribute to help make it better for everyone. Key word is "respect" even if it isn't what seems to me as a five star tab.
Maybe it may work better, with a vote system. The more the votes the higher the rating, isn't that the way it works now ? I don't know, but it should be, so then one person won't be able to impact the tab rating that much either way, so therefore "who cares" let it go and lets move on.
What ever happens, happens I know for sure it won't stop most of us who been around here a while.

Last edited by robbarrie : 11-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
robbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.