Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
dethh

Which guitar would suit me better?

I just recently got a Charvel San Dimas, and I love the guitar. But people seem to label them as rock/ 80s metal / shred guitars. At the shop I tried both the Charvel San Dimas and a mexi standard strat and the Charvel sounded a lot nicer to me on clean tone. I don't have a lot of experience with guitars or gear ( out of all my years playing I've only owned about 2 different guitars ). So my question is, is the Charvel San Dimas versatile enough for what I want to do? I'm into guitar players like john petrucci, guthrie govan, Paul Gilbert, eric johnson etc. and the genres I play / would like to be able to play are blues, jazz, indie, rock, fusion, some metal, pop, and funk. I'm into shred styles of playing but more into melodic, and also jazz and fusion are probably my favorite styles to play. I still have the optin of returning my Charvel and getting a fender american standard or something else. Thanks in advance.
dethh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

As long as you like the neck, dude. Pickups can be swapped.

Maybe you just like humbuckers more than single coils?
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
dethh

I love the neck it feels really nice to play.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah it should be fine, i'd have thought, if you can put up with the looks. they have fairly versatile pickups in them, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
ikey_

you have a fantastic guitar for what you play with no limitations. you are set up for fusion, shred, pretricci, etc, but the guitar is versatile enough to handle most of what you want. charvels generally have REALLY great quality, feel, and quality of parts like pups, which IMO, will be better than fender.

i would love to own a charvel style super start. i say keep it. and it feels good to you? definitely keep it.

any guitar with a hand rubbed back of neck was built by people that actually know whats up. charvel necks included. VERY nice.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
dethh

Thanks Dave MC and ikey. I think I will keep it, I love every aspect of the guitar I just wanted to make sure it suited my style. I don't have a proper amp yet so I can't hear it's full potential. Definitely love the charvel though, my next guitar will probably be the guthrie govan signature model when / if that ever comes out.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
AWACS
I want all of the things

No offense TS, but you should have asked EG's opinion BEFORE you bought the guitar, haha. HNGD!

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

They are only labelled as 80s guitars because of their looks - it fits the 80s style. But if you like the sound, who cares what the guitar looks like? And I think it looks good for other styles too. Somebody could call Flying V a metal guitar but you can play whatever you want with it. For example Jimi Hendrix sometimes used a Flying V and he definitely didn't play metal.

Most versatility comes from your amp. Guitars with humbuckers always sound like guitars with humbuckers. If you like the sound, why do you care about what people say about the guitar? If you hadn't heard of it being an "80s guitar", you wouldn't even have asked the question and you would have been completely happy with it. Don't listen to other people, listen to yourself. If you like it, it's good.

I have a Charvel So Cal and it's a great guitar. It's basically the same as San Dimas but with a pickguard and different pickups. And today I don't even play that much hair metal.

Also - "Charvel sounded a lot nicer to me on clean tone". You just answered your own question.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 11-14-2013 at 08:49 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Robbgnarly

TS that is a great guitar, keep it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: