Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
kmister

Slight crackling from amp?

Hey guys, I've recently done a massive gear upgrade and notice some slight crackling behined/after I play a note. I got new tubes put in, new Speaker cable, new Marshall 1960 with Green backs and a 20 ft lava cable. I tried taking out my pedal board and going straight to the amp but the crackling is still there? I got the tubes put in on Friday, hours before a gig so I didn't play it at home or notice the crackling. I let the tubes warm up and everything, and tried it with 2 guitars but the crackling resists. Anyone have any ideas?
kmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Dunning~Kruger
Banned

Very odd.

Do you have any computer cleaner.

Could be dusty FX loop, if the tubes are not set in properly it could be microphonics in the preamp section.

Also I hate to say this but it may be a speaker even though the amp cab is new.

Have you tried hooking up the head to a diffrent cab altogether. If the crackling continues the problem is isolated somewhere inside the amp for sure.
Dunning~Kruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

what amp is this, what kind of tubes did you buy, where did you buy them and did you install them yourself. I'm thinking you have a tube pin arcing with the socket or board. Make sure the tubes are pushed in all the way and maybe hit the tube pins with some contact cleaner and work the tube in and out.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
kmister

It is a Vox AC50. Bought them from the local boutique amp shop and he just chucked in regular JJ tubes
Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
leondb
AE86 User

If it's the amp, it is possible one of those new tubes is microphonic. Try the soft tap method to see, and if so take it back to the shop you got it from. Did you get the cab and tubes from the same shop?
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
leondb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Dunning~Kruger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leondb
If it's the amp, it is possible one of those new tubes is microphonic. Try the soft tap method to see, and if so take it back to the shop you got it from. Did you get the cab and tubes from the same shop?

This is your best bet.

Go to Sam Ash buy an extra 12ax7 or two and get on the tube rolling mission.

Take this guys advice and if it is a microphonic tube well then you are in luck and it shouldnt be a problem finding wich one is the culprit.

Also did he also switch out the power tubes or only the preamps?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
kmister

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will try using some contact cleaner as i am hoping it's just a dirty circuit board or something. Otherwise it is a speaker problem which will be very very annoying! haha. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

tap the tubes to see if they make any noises. next try to look at the tubes for any sparks. if theres sparks it could be a bad output tranny. if none of those are the problem, then try wiggling the preamp tubes around a bit, it could be dirty tube sockets. if the problem persists I think you should take it to a tech and see if he could do anything about it.

and I mean a GOOD tech who knows what hes doing. the problem might be bad caps. dont go on trying to open the amp and putting your hands in it unless you know all the dangers in there and where those dangers are.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Dunning~Kruger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustapr

and I mean a GOOD tech who knows what hes doing. the problem might be bad caps. dont go on trying to open the amp and putting your hands in it unless you know all the dangers in there and where those dangers are.

Pretty much this.

unless you know your way around in there you dont want to be ****ing around with anything aside from tubes and maybe using some computer cleaner and that is it.

If none of this works, it could simply be a power tube with messed up filament that couldnt handle the voltage or the speaker. Could be a fuse, or an old pot after doing all these trouble shooting you really might not figure out what it could be and it would be best to take it to an amptech as stated.

But switch out the preamps see what the deal is.

I personally think It might be power tube or a bad speaker but hopefully its a peramp and it can be solved easily.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

have you tried a different cable?..... crackling is usually from a dirty pot (but you´ve already tried 2 guitars" or a tele-input.

Rate This Thread: