Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

My Projects

I've started this thread to keep track of a few projects that I started on here. They all have their own threads, but I'm not working in any obvious order, they're a nightmare to update, and they're a nightmare to follow. I also don't want to clutter the forum when I start something new.

Projects:
My second build (Completed - could do with rewiring and fret levelling)
Third Build - SF24 (Neck in progress)
Poplar SF24 (Neck almost complete)
Random star build (TBC)
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

I've bought a couple of new tools recently. The first is a 12" thicknesser:

It doesn't look like much, but it's very cool. I've made the two superstrats a lot slimmer (43mm) and they're now perfectly level on the front and back. I'm also not happy with the black pearloid binding on the poplar one, so I've ordered a wider strip (10mm) to install instead - I'll be routing the channel out again when it arrives.

The other investment is a fingerboard slotting jig (24 frets, 25.5" scale):

I took lots of pictures for such a simple task, which only took ~30 minutes. Gone are the days of measuring, marking, scoring and sawing... thankfully. I'll be able to get the board glued in tomorrow and make some progress with the sapele neck.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
bobafettacheese

Did you get the jig through stew mac? I have the materials to build a neck, sap eke neck with ziricote fretboard. I'm honestly just very hesitant about starting to build it. Don't mind buying a few things but I'd like to know essentials.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Explorerbuilder

Nice. New tools are always fun.
I would have gotten at least a 13" Planer though. That way you can actually fit a strat body through it after its glued.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gu...142725369133117
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
Did you get the jig through stew mac? I have the materials to build a neck, sap eke neck with ziricote fretboard. I'm honestly just very hesitant about starting to build it. Don't mind buying a few things but I'd like to know essentials.

The jig was from an eBay fella from the UK - it's like the Stewmac one, but a lot simpler. Just take your time with it and make sure that you plane/prepare all of your surfaces perfectly. If you're not great with a hand plane (like me), then a bench planer or pre-prepared stock is essential. You'll need a router or bandsaw for cutting the neck taper, router for the truss rod channel, drill press for tuner holes, rasp set for shaping the volute and heel, and a spokeshave for joining the two up. For the fingerboard, you'll need the planing lark, 0.57mm kerf slotting saw, radius sanding block, fret press or hammer and then bits and bobs for levelling. I take ages over stuff, so I just buy tools when I need them, which spreads the cost out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
Nice. New tools are always fun.
I would have gotten at least a 13" Planer though. That way you can actually fit a strat body through it after its glued.

Yeah, I know what you mean. This one is 318mm (so 12.5"?), which will take a slightly slimmer Strat or Tele, but most things are out of the question. They seem to sell for stupid money after the 12" mark.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

I did a lot of sanding on this one today. I had to smooth out the contours with a drum sander, then work the marks out by hand. Afterwards, I routed a fresh, deeper binding channel to take the 10mm stuff. I did clean the channels up after taking the pictures.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
bobafettacheese

Thanks for the heads up as well as the grocery list of tools. Thankfully my dad has a couple of the more expensive ones.
OT: looks great so far. I love watching a build from I start to finish
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
Thanks for the heads up as well as the grocery list of tools. Thankfully my dad has a couple of the more expensive ones.
OT: looks great so far. I love watching a build from I start to finish

No worries! Keep an eye on this forum - there's a lot of talent here, even if people are rather quiet.

Here are some updates from the past couple of days. I tried a different method for the binding, which seems to have worked out okay. Instead of binding paste or CA, I bought some UHU Hart glue. The initial tack wasn't there strong, but it cleaned up nicely and didn't stain the wood at all! I've used a cabinet scraper to trim all of the binding top down before, which takes ages and isn't very stable. This time, I use a chisel running flat with the body, then tidied up with the scraper. Only the two sides are finished - I still need to attack the rear and cutaways.

Anyway, the result is a lot better:

Old 11-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

My templates arrived today! After lots of drawing in Inkscape and some horrendous quotes, I finally got the stuff laser cut.

I have templates for:
Body,
Neck,
Neck pocket,
Headstock,
Battery cavity and cover,
Control cavity and cover,
Direct-mount humbuckers.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

I did a bit of work on the poplar guitar today. The neck was rough as hell, so I tidied up the volute, reshaped the heel and fixed the entire profile. I still need to route the neck pocket a little deeper and dial the neck pitch in.

Pictures of stuff:

Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Silord1
Silord1

You've got some world class skill there mate, I'd love to get the results your getting!

Patience and practice I guess.

I did my first fret dress last night to fix a buzzing fret with success and not too bad results, any advice on best practice or what methods to use?
Silord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

There's nothing world class going on here! I'm still correcting mistakes and fighting to make progress, because I was so eager (impatient, perhaps) to get moving with these two guitars. In fact, I've actually started a new project recently, which is going very smoothly with the benefit of experience. I won't waste anyone's time until it's complete though... I don't want to be one of those guys.

My best advice would be to follow the work of Perry Ormsby and Sully Guitars. IMHO, Perry builds some of the best guitars in the world, and his work emphasises the importance of accuracy. Sully is a more modest builder, but his stuff is still top notch - he does it whilst holding down a full-time job and a family, which makes him more relatable. Oh, and he has a great YouTube channel. Both guys are massive, friendly guitar nerds too.

I suck at set-ups and fretwork. I used a radius block to level my last bunch of frets, then one of those Hosco files for crowning and needle files for the dressing. It was a massive pain in the backside, so I'm going to follow Sully's method for my next lot.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Silord1
Silord1

Fair enough mate I'll checkout the videos, thanks

I started messing with guitars out of necessity cause I couldn't afford good gear so was always trying to improve them any way I could.

I built my own from scratch a bout 2 years back but I was too impatient and made some easily avoided mistakes, I'm thinking of doing another though so I'll play close attention to this thread, I love how your showing the gear your using its a great idea, it's made me decide to make some new tools for my workshop already! (Such as the fretting jig - simple but genius)

Good job
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Nice templates! Could I ask how much they set you back? I'm not actually planning on making any more guitars for the foreseeable but this looks like a better option for templates than making my own from MDF.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
Ippon
Amped

Dang! Pretty soon you'll be spending extra funds on even more tools. So envious of the dedication and skill that building requires!

Congrats!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Layzonfon
Nice templates! Could I ask how much they set you back? I'm not actually planning on making any more guitars for the foreseeable but this looks like a better option for templates than making my own from MDF.

I'm not sure how cost-effective they're actually going to be, but they seemed like a good way of getting my drawings accurately translated into something physical. The total was ~63 including P&P and materials. The best plan is to use them as master copies to keep making new MDF ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Dang! Pretty soon you'll be spending extra funds on even more tools. So envious of the dedication and skill that building requires!

Congrats!

Thanks man! I just want to get better and have a hobby for when I'm super old.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Silord1
Silord1

That was always my plan. I was gonna build guitars as a hobby and be super good at it by my older years!

This threads got me set on the idea to build again, I'm gonna start gearing my workshop up for it as soon as my current projects are finished 😀
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silord1
That was always my plan. I was gonna build guitars as a hobby and be super good at it by my older years!

This threads got me set on the idea to build again, I'm gonna start gearing my workshop up for it as soon as my current projects are finished 😀

That's the best way to think about any new hobby. Most people worry, because they'll be rubbish when they start... instead of thinking about how awesome they'll be in 5, 10, 20 years time! Buying tools can be as nice, slow process too.

Don't be afraid to get cracking and whack some threads up!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

I was feeling wild today, so I made a drilling template for a Gotoh GTC102 bridge from acrylic waste... also featuring a centre line and scale marker line.

Off the hook.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Ippon
Amped

Any plans to build a Tele?

Rate This Thread: