Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

Help with my Orchestra Song (WIP) [GP5]

Hello again,

I've been really in the mood to write some orchestral stuff lately. However, having no classical training, I am at a lost sometimes what direction to go with my songs and how I should/could develop them more. Anyways, this is my newest piece. I'm having difficulty finding something to transition bar 50 to 51. Any ideas are appreciated. And in case anyone was wondering, I was inspired by a little bit of Dexter and Man of Steel at those bars.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Calvary.gp5 (31.0 KB, 78 views)

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

I think the first problem here is there's no overarching melody line. Good, memorable scores rely on that theme. For instance, show me the difference between 1989's Batman theme and Jurassic Park, and it becomes obvious.

Show me the difference between Inception, Oblivion and Elysium and you'd be hard pressed to remember the themes, or tell them apart.

Got something in the works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Huehue
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 SomeoneLeftTheBackDoorOpen.gp5 (56.1 KB, 52 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
carnagereap666
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I think the first problem here is there's no overarching melody line. Good, memorable scores rely on that theme. For instance, show me the difference between 1989's Batman theme and Jurassic Park, and it becomes obvious.

Show me the difference between Inception, Oblivion and Elysium and you'd be hard pressed to remember the themes, or tell them apart.

Got something in the works for you.

I understand what you mean by no melody line, but my intent in this was to have two melodies. I should preface, when I write songs, I write them as a story of sorts. Bar 13 until 21 is the "theme" of an evil force. 37 to 50 is also part of that motif. 59 beyond is the "theme" of the good force, so to speak. The rhythms are reminiscent of a battle atmosphere. The title of the song also refers to war themes. So I think that there is some semblance of over-arching melody, but I understand what you mean.

As for your version, I wasn't crazy about the violin. I liked the flute, but I prefer less chromatics. I did like the violins at bar 37 to 46. I liked the tuba as well. Thank you for this, it'll give me a better idea of where to go as well as little nuances I could add in.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Standard
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
B.C. Rich Trace
LTD H-207

Amps: Line 6 Spider III
Boss GT-8

You have adopted the darkness, I was born in it.
carnagereap666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Epi makes a good point about the differences between those soundtracks, but I think there was plenty of recognizable melody here. Dynamics and transitions between sections are good and smooth, and I can definitely feel that the song goes somewhere like a score should. I actually think the transition could be fine the way it is, depending on what's happening on screen at the time, but I glanced at Epi's modifications and I like the idea of throwing another melody on top of it too. My only suggestion is that I think some of it needs to be a bit busier (but I think some of Epi's was too busy also, so somewhere in between).

Also, as a recommendation, not for the song, but as a composer, you should start actually trying to create your songs in a DAW, and just use Guitar Pro for quick ideas. I just made this point here in another film score song in this forum, but this style of music relies on your ability to produce as much as it does your ability to come up with the notes. These songs need the realistic (or electronic when it need be) sounds and tones to really get their point across.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: