Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
a807s

Help with this guitar tone (crunchy/clean funk)

This is driving me insane. I've spent a disgusting amount of time searching for this tone, I've tried my Fender Strat and Gibson LP on every pickup position, and I've tried EVERY SINGLE tone preset in Guitar Rig 5 Pro and Amplitube 3, which number in the thousands, but I'm still nowhere close to this tone.

The tone in question is most clearly heard in the verse of this song:

http://youtu.be/bavxwII_nOI?t=21s

The problem is the great crunchy attack to the notes. How is this happening? I have tried popping the strings bass style as well, to no avail. I just don't get it.
a807s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Sounds like a standard, clean singlecoil to me, perhaps with minimal reverb/echo, through a good clean channel amp. Probably EQed to minimize lows & mids.

You might also steal a page from George Benson: "I use medium picks. They’re not too stiff and they allow me to have better rhythm. And the two edges [on mine] come down to a point that’s straighter than on a Fender pick. I do that because it gives me much more snap when the pick comes off the string."

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
a807s

Thank you. I think I'm getting somewhat close to the tone now, but I'm still off a bit, which I think has to do with the playing style. Any idea what the guitarist is doing to make the notes kind of "pop" like that? Take for example the first two chords in the verse. Both just two note chords (fourth intervals), yet I can't get them to sound like in the recording.
a807s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Well, the medium firmness pointy pick GB mentioned would help, but it's probably mostly about picking dynamics. IOW, technique.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: