Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
_tim*

Gibson Les Paul with 24 frets ?

Hey, i want to know, is it possible to find a Gibson Les Paul with 24 frets ? I can't find by myself. Maybe it doesn't exist, but why ?
_tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
jpnyc

Even if Gibson made a 24-fret Les Paul you wouldn’t be able to use the extra frets. Les Paul neck pockets are not good for playing the uppers frets. If you really want this get a custom 24-fret guitar with an accessible neck pocket.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Because it's tradition to have 22 frets on an LP. ALso fret access would be a bitch with 24 frets. A more justifiable reason is that in order to make space for the extra frets, the neck pickup would have to be moved closer to the bridge, which would alter its sound.

But while the utility of 24 frets is nice, I would never use the utility. The highest note I'd ever need to reach is the 2nd octave, and that can be done quite easily on a 22 fret guitar just by bending at the 22nd.

However, the Epiphone Prophecy LP's and the MKH LP have 24 frets.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-04-2013 at 12:38 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gibson don't, they did make some SGs with 24 frets but that's about it.

ESP/Ltd do, but they're more aimed for metal (most have EMGs) might not be what you want.

http://www.espguitars.co.uk/guitars...ipse2usa24.html

http://www.espguitars.co.uk/guitars-ltd-ec.html
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
KillRoy Ver 3.0
Symphonic Dischord

Actually, the Buckethead Les Paul signature has 24 frets.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...e-Les-Paul.aspx
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Roc8995

The Buckethead sig has 24 frets, I think there was one other that did too but I can't come up with it right now.

Mostly though Gibson doesn't cater to the market that wants 24 frets. They don't make a lot of models with Floyds and super thin neck profiles, either. It's just not their thing. Fender is similar.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
_tim*

Ok thanks for all the answers. ESP/LTP are not what i'm looking for, that's right. On all the les paul ive played, i find it very difficult to reach the 22nd fret, maybe I only need to practice with those guitars.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
_tim*

For me, the access to the 22nd fret is already a bitch on Les Paul. And sometimes, i need to play fast here, and it's really difficult for me. So i thought that with 24 frets it would be easier ^^
Old 12-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
_tim*

i already have one (Matthias Jabs Signature, awesome guitar), but like many other guitar players, i fell in love with the Gibson sound, so i was wondering if it was possible to have this sound with 24 frets.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Roc8995

The Les Paul Axcess seems like what you're looking for, if the issue is just that you have problems with 22 instead of actually needing 24. They're quite expensive, though, not really a practical solution for most people.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
_tim*

I think "Expensive" is the right word concerning this guitar ! I dont have 3600€ to spend right now, and if i had it, i would probably not buy this one, but thanks for your help ! =)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tim*
I think "Expensive" is the right word concerning this guitar ! I dont have 3600€ to spend right now, and if i had it, i would probably not buy this one, but thanks for your help ! =)

You can have a custom Les Paul copy made by Agile in Korea for much less than the cost of a Gibson:
http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Actually, the Buckethead Les Paul signature has 24 frets.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...e-Les-Paul.aspx

Yeah, but it's baritone scale. Won't feel like a normal LP at all.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
dspellman

I have a Gibson Axcess Custom -- it was a bit over $4K a few years ago. 22 frets, and upper fret access isn't bad (thanks to the more comfortable neck heel), but the curve of the cutaway still forces me to rotate my hand a bit to get to the upper frets.

I have an Agile AL-2000 Floyd and an AL-3100 Floyd. These come with 24 frets. Rather than moving the neck pickup toward the bridge, they've kept the neck pickup where it usually is, extended the neck about 3/4" (so that the 24th fret is at about the same position as where the 22nd fret would normally be) and then they've moved the bridge and the bridge pickup toward the neck pickup. That maintains the scale, leaves all 24 frets pretty much clear of the body and gives you pretty good access. In addition, the stubby horn on the Agile doesn't force me to rotate my hand as does the point on the Gibson. And in another interesting turn of events, the neck/body join on the AL-2000 (the cheapest one of the bunch at around $300) is "tilted" and offers just about the same comfort as the $4K Axcess.

Gibson's first ever 24-fret guitar was the L6S of the '70's. The body on these is about as thick as an SGs, which means that there's really not much "heel" where the body and neck come together, so you don't really have much of an issue with access at all. In addition, because the guitar itself is wider than an LP, the cutaway is wider, which means that you don't have to rotate your hand to get to the 24th fret. Very nice.

The Carvin CS (California Singlecut) comes in a 24-fret version (with all 24 available, none buried in the body), has a body that's thinner than a standard LP and a neck heel that's quite nicely smoothed down. And the cutaway seems to have more room as well. In all, a more comfortable guitar to play than the Gibson versions.

And finally, there's the Agile AL-3200 and the Agile-3XXX semi-customs. The 3200 is a neck-through guitar that has a Gibson Axcess-like neck heel and a great tummy cut. Unusually good sustain and comfort. If you order a semi-custom version, you can order it with 24 frets (including Stainless Steel if you prefer) and in a variety of optional scales, including 25.5", 27", 28.65" and 30". The stubby horn maintains great upper fret access.

There's no telling why Gibson itself doesn't have a 24-fret LP (leastways, I don't recall one that wasn't a baritone) on the roster.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Because it's tradition to have 22 frets on an LP. ALso fret access would be a bitch with 24 frets. A more justifiable reason is that in order to make space for the extra frets, the neck pickup would have to be moved closer to the bridge, which would alter its sound.

But while the utility of 24 frets is nice, I would never use the utility. The highest note I'd ever need to reach is the 2nd octave, and that can be done quite easily on a 22 fret guitar just by bending at the 22nd.

As stated in my other post, 24 frets on an LP is very cool -- and you don't move the neck pickup. The neck pickup's sound isn't appreciably altered. The SG has had its neck pickup located the same amount of distance toward the bridge/bridge pickup since the very early '60's and no one really complains about the sound.

Having 24 frets on the guitar means that the 22 that YOU use would be much more available to you.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Preacher403

An Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy has 24 frets. They basically moved the pickups and neck up a little to make access to the top frets much easier. I can actually get to the 24th fret a bit easier than the 22nd on a normal LP.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
gnrfreak1

actually epiphone does
gnrfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Blbmbr666
Doing a barrel roll!

Honestly the Epiphone Prophecy guitars are just worse versions of LTD EC's, in my opinion anyway.
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Blbmbr666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
_tim*

Plus they have EMG pickups, and it's not what i'm looking for, i want the Gibson Les Paul tone
Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
deadsmileyface
Banned

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
sounds like you need an Eclipse with passive pickups mate.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: