Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
messiah01

Gig Booking Etiquette?

I received an offer from a friend today to play on a local bill. I am in a few different projects, and was contemplating which one to perform. I first offered it to a female vocal group I accompany on guitar, but they are all obligated to a choir gig that night which would fall an hour before arriving at the local show. Now should I book the vocal group for the last spot on the bill or perform with a different project cause it would be easier time wise? Revolving around gig etiquette; the gig was offered to me, do I claim the right to give it to any project I want? Since I already offered it to the vocal group do I have to commit to that group or could I say sorry I'm deciding to go with another project? Thanks.
messiah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Are there other bands playing? I would say pick which ever one works best with the prospective bands and audience you'll be playing with/to.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

If it was offered to you, you can pass it to whomever you want. It sounds like the choir can't do the gig (I think) so there's no obligation to give them the gig they can't do. If you simply changed your mind as to who you want, you can do that too. Just give notice to them that the organiser decided to go with one of your other projects. No need to tell them that the organiser was you. If they do ask if it was you, tell them honestly why you chose the other group.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
messiah01

Thanks y'all - this advice helped. Probably going to go with a different project, because I've performed a lot recently with that group and want to try something different.
messiah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
JelloCrust

Also, considering it was offered to you, aside from the obvious that you can play with whoever you want on this, it would be kind of rude to try for a different time slot unless you have a lot of clout. . . and then still, take the time that was offered to you, set it up with another project.
JelloCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Do you think that, when the offer was made, that they had one of those groups in particular in mind?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Kick2theOvaries

Just play solo man, get your James Blunt covers prepared
Kick2theOvaries is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: