Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
ThatHarlequin

Beginner guitarist - looking for new guitar

So, I'm 14 years old. I started playing guitar about a month ago, and I'd like a new guitar because my current one, a fairly standard Telecaster ripoff, sounds kinda bad and has dents all over the body. I can play songs such as Muse's "Knights of Cydonia", Arctic Monkeys' "R U Mine?", and The Beatles' "Day Tripper" back to front. I'm close to learning the entirety of Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" & Aerosmith's "Walk this Way". I'm learning Rush's "The Spirit of Radio" at the moment. So my question is: are my guitar skills enough to justify the purchase of a new guitar? And if so, which one? I had my eye on something like a Squier Jaguar, but I'd like to let someone more experienced help me first.
ThatHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
lbc_sublime
UG's black reaper

I always wanted a jaguar until I played one. my best advice is to go in and play guitars.

What's your budget?

"I can fill ya wit real millionaire shit (I can fill ya)
Escargot, my car go, one sixty, swiftly
Wreck it buy a new one
Your crew run run run, your crew run run"

NOTORIOUS B.I.G. - Hypnotize
lbc_sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
ThatHarlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc_sublime
I always wanted a jaguar until I played one. my best advice is to go in and play guitars.

What's your budget?

My budget is probably ~450 AUD. If Jaguars are that bad, I also like Epiphone SGs and Dots. But still that totally depends on whether it's worth it.

Last edited by ThatHarlequin : 12-07-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
DanishViking

Considering the bands you mentioned, it would seen that humbuckers would be the pickup of choice.
Both Joe Perry and Alex Lifeson use Les Paul. Can't remember what the other you mentioned use off the top of my head.

With your budget Epiphone would not be a bad place to look at all. If you like the SG design, the Epiphone SG G-400 would be worth a look. The Epiphone Les Paul standard would be a similar alternative.

But as mentioned above, you should go to a well stocked guitar store and actually try them out. The guitar you choose should fit you and feel good as well as sound good.
DanishViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
mugzy384

For $450 I'd be looking at the Yamaha pacifica's, you could afford an epi g400 but I've never tried one so can't really comment on them. U won't get a dot for that price, more like 600, and in that price range I'd say start looking at an ltd or an epi lp standard
mugzy384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
mugzy384

Worth saying also that Allen's billy Hyde are selling kramers half price atm. Definitely puts some better guitars into your price range. I think the sale is instore only tho
mugzy384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Teaisfantastic

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Just go into a guitar store and ask to try out certain guitars to see which is the one for you. I've ended up selling guitars in the past that at the time I liked the look of, but when I played them after a while I couldn't get used to them.
Teaisfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
ThatHarlequin

Thank you all for your input. I went to Allans-Billy Hyde earlier today, saw the LP100 and immediately liked it. It has a nice weight and size, and the Heritage Sunburst paint looks pretty sweet. It's in the middle of my budget too.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Papabear505

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc_sublime

+1 Play as many as you can... Ironically, I never wanted a Jaguar until I played one... Now I do...

Find a guitar that speaks to you and is comfortable in your hands. Don't worry so much about "this guitar is for this style of music" Yes, Humbuckers are better for this, and Single coils are better for that... but finding your instrument is very personal... and you won't know what you want, until you play them...

As always... JMHO.
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
HammerParty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear505
+1 Play as many as you can... Ironically, I never wanted a Jaguar until I played one... Now I do...

Find a guitar that speaks to you and is comfortable in your hands. Don't worry so much about "this guitar is for this style of music" Yes, Humbuckers are better for this, and Single coils are better for that... but finding your instrument is very personal... and you won't know what you want, until you play them...

As always... JMHO.

Agreed 100% Always wanted an Ibanez Iceman, pruchased an ICT700, definitely not for me.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
ThatHarlequin

I just saw this online. THIS is what I'm getting. Looks brilliant. Nearly half price. Ridiculous.
http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...am_Blue%29.aspx
Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

I keep hearing the advice of new players should go in and try tons of guitars. I'm not sure if that's the best advice for a beginner considering they wouldn't know the difference between a well made guitar or a guitar that's well made, but could use a setup.

However, I do think it's the best advice given what you've told us though.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: