User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
rnazer

Looking for a Beginner Guitar Under $300

Budget? - Under 300

Favorite Artists? - Jake E Lee, Ratt, CrashDiet, Hardcore Superstar

Preferences? - I know nothing about guitars yet.

Pickups? - same as above

New or Used? - New

Location? - Looking to buy from Shop.ca as i have a gift certificate from them i want to use

Current Gear? - nothing

So i had an Acoustic guitar and sucked at it. found it hard to play, and i was told to buy an electric guitar since it is easier to play and i will enjoy it more since my favorite type of music is hard rock.

Can someone please recommend me a good guitar and Amp and anything else I might need to get started.
I want to buy from Shop.ca since i have alot of credit to spend and they seem to have a wide range of guitars.

Also i am planning to start learning using Rocksmith 2014.

Thanks a bunch
rnazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yay 80s metal

i'm not familiar with crashdiet or hardcore superstar, but jake e lee and ratt are awesome

superstrat is probably the thing. at your budget i'd avoid a floyd rose, cheaper floyd rose trems tend to suck.

http://www.shop.ca/c/yamaha-guitar-...2v-yns-23177144

just about under $300.

that doesn't leave a whole lot for an amp- do you need an amp with rocksmith? I've never used rocksmith

personally I wouldn't really want to cheap out much more than that, that yamaha is normally the cheapest "decent" guitar (i.e. good enough that it shouldn't hold you back, and good enough to keep for a spare/upgrade pickups etc. when you get a better guitar in the future) unless you get really lucky and find a really good sale or something.

there's a sterling sub silo3 at $200, but I have no idea what it's like.

EDIT: they don't have a great selection of amps on there- they stock vox but no valvetronixes or the mini3 (which'd be the usual suggestion for a beginner), peavey but only one vypyr (you could get away with a smaller, cheaper one) and they stock a few fender mustangs which might be worth a look.

kind of academic though if you can't stretch your budget a little. it's really up to you, if you genuinely can't stretch then don't, we don't want to get you into financial difficulties or anything like that, but if you've just arbitrarily set a budget in stone, budgeting another $150 would be the difference between getting something which is fairly poor to mediocre and getting something which is actually remarkably decent for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
MoJo-EaTeR
Sleaze Metal Idiot

Well, if you plan on using Rocksmith you don't really need an amp right away. So I'd agree with Dave_Mc, and recommend that Yamaha.

P.S. Hardcore Superstar rules!
MoJo-EaTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

I'd first recommend going to a guitar store and trying a decent variety of guitars to begin developing your personal preferences, so you actually know what you want.

The one thing I would recommend is to avoid getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose vibrato for now. They're very common features on guitars aimed at hair metal, but you're not going to get a guitar with a reliable Floyd for $300. And if you like to experiment with different tunings, it can be a major pain in the ass.

I'd recommend getting a practice amp because Rocksmith can be limiting. Peavey Vypyrs and Roland Cubes are good amps to start with.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJo-EaTeR
Well, if you plan on using Rocksmith you don't really need an amp right away. So I'd agree with Dave_Mc, and recommend that Yamaha.

yeah if he can get away without an amp i'd get the better guitar- the pacifica 112v is a very popular, well-regarded beginner guitar for a reason. You can sometimes do better if you come across a crazy good deal as a fluke- but excepting that kind of situation they're hard to beat.

Quote:

Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
rnazer

thanks guys. The Yamaha PAC112V seems to be everyone's choice. I just wish it came in a nicer color !

Although i plan learning on Rocksmith, I'm sure I will want to switch to an amp once i become competent.

Between these 2 amps, ($120 range) which should i get ?

Fender Mustang 1

Peavey NanoVypyr

Thanks Again!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
rnazer

How about this one as a starter? its $100 cheaper than the Yamaha and got good reviews on this site. Plus I actually like the color!

Epiphone EGGSEBCH EPI SG Special

thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

No. Epiphone Special guitars are all horrible. You're really going to be a whole lot better off with a Yamaha Pacifica.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
DanishViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnazer
I just wish it came in a nicer color !

Then I would call this a perfect learning opportunity. Paint or stain it yourself.
If you can handle a screwdriver and a spray can, you can paint a guitar.

Not only can you get it any colour or pattern you like, taking it apart can putting it together again is a good way to learn how everything works. Once you have even a basic understanding of how your guitar is wired, diagnosing problems that may arise later on will be a lot easier.
DanishViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnazer
thanks guys. The Yamaha PAC112V seems to be everyone's choice. I just wish it came in a nicer color !

Although i plan learning on Rocksmith, I'm sure I will want to switch to an amp once i become competent.

Between these 2 amps, ($120 range) which should i get ?

Fender Mustang 1

Peavey NanoVypyr

Thanks Again!

It does come in nicer colours, just they're more expensive for some reason. I actually like the natural finish. I like seeing the wood underneath, I'm always paranoid that they use worse wood for the opaque finishes. Of course, they might just use nicer-looking wood for the natural finish, which might not sound any better.

I haven't tried either of those amps but I think they both have a pretty good rep (for their price, anyway). Certainly the bigger vypyrs do, and I think the mustangs do too.
I doubt you'd go too far wrong with either. They vypyr might be slightly more geared towards rock and metal tones (but don't quote me on that). the vypyr is a bit cagey on what wattage it actually is, if that's important.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
HammerParty

Used kramer pacer reissue.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: