Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
dethh

Sloppy recording....?

Hey guys, I recently got a pod HD 500 and I started recording myself using garageband, I've noticed my guitar playing sounds really sloppy. The notes sound choppy and disconnected to me I've been playing guitar for a while so I feel like I should be a lot better. I'm not exactly sure what it is, I have a feeling it might be bad technique, maybe something with my picking hand. Here's a link to my sound cloud of a recording I did just to show what I mean: . Any feedback on what the problem might be is appreciated.

Last edited by dethh : 12-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.
dethh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Sounds fine to be, I think you're just being paranoid, might sound better if you weren't playing scales and actually had it to a rhythm guitar and drum track in a full mix, tends to sound better.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethh
The notes sound choppy and disconnected to me I've been playing guitar for a while so I feel like I should be a lot better.

Your phrasing is stiff and those licks sounded like studies from a method book. Relax and express something less technical. Learn to loosen up your phrasing.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
HomerSGR
What?

I think most of us get the same feeling the first times we hear ourselves playing on a recording. Identify what you don't like about it and work hard on improving that specific part. It takes time to learn how to listen while you are playing.

It took me some time before I thought what I heard when I was playing translated well to what was captured on a recording. I didn't notice mistakes I then heard up front on the recording etc. Today, I get praise for my vibrato and bending - and that is one of the things I thought I sucked at when I heard the first recording of myself playing.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
monwobobbo

first two sections just running a scale so not much to say. 3rd part was really stiff and obviously to much thought was being put into it. try working the part out more and playing it until it just flows when recording. I know when the record light comes on this can be difficult. the other thing is that you are way to distorted keep in mind that when recording you have to turn the distortion down some or it more often than not sounds like crap when played back. feel free to check out some of my tunes in my profile
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
dethh

Thanks for the replies, good points!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
LazyLatinoRocke
UG Freak

That usually happens when people record themselves for the first time. You hear mistakes you never heard were there. Just keep recording yourself and improving on your mistakes. It makes you that much of a better player and really makes that much closer to becoming a studio musician (someone who can record something in 10 minutes rather try to struggle perfecting it for an hour) and as an audio engineer, I can really tell you sometimes I spent 3-5 hours trying to get someone to play something right. Those who record themselves frequently stand out.

Of The

UG Challenge
LazyLatinoRocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
dethh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyLatinoRocke
That usually happens when people record themselves for the first time. You hear mistakes you never heard were there. Just keep recording yourself and improving on your mistakes. It makes you that much of a better player and really makes that much closer to becoming a studio musician (someone who can record something in 10 minutes rather try to struggle perfecting it for an hour) and as an audio engineer, I can really tell you sometimes I spent 3-5 hours trying to get someone to play something right. Those who record themselves frequently stand out.

Yeah, makes sense. From now on I'll be recording my self in all my practice sessions.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
I think most of us get the same feeling the first times we hear ourselves playing on a recording. Identify what you don't like about it and work hard on improving that specific part. It takes time to learn how to listen while you are playing.

It took me some time before I thought what I heard when I was playing translated well to what was captured on a recording. I didn't notice mistakes I then heard up front on the recording etc. Today, I get praise for my vibrato and bending - and that is one of the things I thought I sucked at when I heard the first recording of myself playing.

This, Pretty much anything Ive recorded I always think it sounds like shit lolol.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: