Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

Jimmy Page Edwards worth it?

So im thinking about buying myself a JP model for Christmas but i was wondering what you guys think about them, i know most people say that they are a really good copy but i already have a 76 Ibanez LP and an early 80s burny with the vh1 pick ups in tobacco sunburst, its a great heavy les paul rep. Basically i dont want to buy a JP Edwards and then be disappointed and not play it because its not as good as the burny but at the same time i am getting tired of dealing with the tuning problems of my burny(needs new tuners but dont wanna replace the originals its not bad but it dost stay like my newer guitars). At the same time im intrigued by the super circuit with the duncans....

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
mercinariesgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

no idea on the super circuit, never played one wired that way i don't think.

i have played a couple of edwards les pauls, and had a 77 burny. the edwards are typically on the lighter side, weight wise. the fit and finish are very good on these guitars. the neck is probably on the thinner side compared to your burny (should have had a '59 ish profile). you'd think the JP would have a thinner profile as well.

are you buying used or new? - where is noboro? there are some trustworthy sellers on ebay that cut nice deals on them.

personally i'd just find a nice edwards or tokai burst and put the pups you want in there. but that's your call obviously.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

id buy it new im located in massachusetts and i do play a shitton of zepplin and zeppelin esque music

Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
gregs1020
Hi mom!

new only, that's cool.

are you buying direct from japan store or through ebay?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Roc8995

The super circuit isn't worth all the attention it gets. It's just a bunch of ******* sink stuff that doesn't really expand the versatility of the guitar, and those mods weren't even put on Page's guitars until years after Zeppelin. I don't understand the fascination with it.

Sounds like you just need a proper setup on your Burny to save you a few hundred dollars on a new guitar.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

ive been gassin for an edwards for years. So the supercircuits not all its hyped up to be ? does it rob from the tone at all?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
dspellman

"Supercircuits" is a bit of hype. You can make the mods on virtually any LP that has four-wire pickups with a set of push-pulls -- including what you have now. Buy an Edwards if you like the look and the neck, etc., not because of a bit of wiring. As Roc8995 notes, those mods weren't on Page's guitar when he was with Led Turnip anyway.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

Ok well im good with wiring so i guess its a pretty high premium to pay for something that i can wire myself. With that being said would it be wrth it to look at one of their models that has the antiquity pickups and isnt a JP model. something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Edwards...=item58a86e27a1 im going to be getting something within the next dayish, the only thing that may deter me from an edwards is if a decent carvin ct6 or one of their lps comes up

Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Sounds like you just need a proper setup on your Burny to save you a few hundred dollars on a new guitar.

+1 forgot to mention that.

i'd swap the tuners on the burny in a heartbeat. if it bothers you to drill any holes for new turners just get replacements that don't require drilling. you can always put it back to stock if selling it as such.

but depending on which model and which year burny, it's likely not that valuable where it'd take that big of a hit.

i'm a big fan of burnys btw, i had a nice flg-70 from '77 that i sold to a member here.

but i see barely used edwards go for $500 in japan, so figure $250 on top for shipping/fees. or on the bay for barely more than that.
https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-r105670585

for example.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 12-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

not really lookin for another burny i think an edwards 130ALS is gunna be the one. Whats the best place to buy one of these guitars? ebay? also my burny is set up great right now not really trying to mess with it. I think its funny so many of you are against geting a new guitar, i want a new guitar i just dont want something thats going to disappoint next to the burny.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i didn't mean get another burny. i was just saying to fix the tuners so it stays in tune.

i didn't say not to get another guitar. i'd just buy direct from japan for $850-900. most people in the US would grab on off of ebay. i thought i saw one on mlp yesterday though hang on.

here's a jp edwards. ask that guy what he'd take for it?
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mem...e-les-paul.html

if buying new, in the US it's a pain because nobody stocks them. to buy direct from japan try ishibashi (an actual store in japan) or use a proxy like rinkya to buy one for you and ship it here. not sure what kind of deal a store in japan could/would do on one, but as long as it's under $1000 you're better off going that route. the cheapest you see new ones for on the bay are around $1200 plus the $180 in shipping.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 12-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
gregs1020
Hi mom!

http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop22/DS02118417/ barely used one for $800 before any haggle. could use a proxy to buy and ship it to you. again, for a proxy i use rinkya.

here's a couple pages of ALS models, new and store demo type used.
http://www.digimart.net/search?cate...s+als&x=17&y=17

new looks like 102K which is around $1000. so maybe for new ebay would cost what? $1250 plus shipping? almost $1500.

you can grab a barely used one in japan for $750 and have it here in the US for $1100-1150 tops.

that's why i use proxys and buy direct from japan, i just usually buy broken and used. people in japan don't like broken.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

thank you, sorry if this is a dumb question but what am i looking at? how do you order something from an all japanese website and know you are getting the right thing and how do proxies work ? is it an actual person you are giving a commission for going to the store buying one and sending it over here? are they legit and is there any type of buyer protection like ebay offers? i want a good deal but id rather pay 1400 and have a guitar than 1000 and end up with no guitar

edit::just read the oversea buyers faq so do i email the shop (e.g. ishibishi ) and they send me back an English order form and stuff and some info on the guitar.

Last edited by mercinariesgtr : 12-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
gregs1020
Hi mom!

yeah you can work direct with ishibashi. like i said i use a proxy service (a company) to buy for me and ship stuff here. i can use them for auctions, or in store used guitars, pretty much anything. plus they pack well (so doe ishibashi) and i'm familiar with them. you actually do have recourse but it's not the same as ebay, some ways it's better. it's just different is all.

you wouldn't end up with no guitar. proxy's collect the guitar and can inspect it for you, send you pics etc. i bought a broken one and they didn't know if i realized it was, so they emailed me right away in case i didn't see it was in fact a broken guitar.

but if you have a comfort level with ebay, i get that. nothing wrong with being cautious.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

so you see nothing wrong or sketchy about this http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...ine/item/27776/ it says that they have paypal anyways so that helps and i emailed them and got a prompt response in english(albeit a little off but way better than my japanese)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

pulled the trigger

Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
gregs1020
Hi mom!

whoa congrats!

looks like a good deal too, well under what you would have paid on evilbay.

do a NGD thread when it arrives.

check in at the les paul thread as well. we mostly just spam in there but the more mij guys the better.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
mercinariesgtr
mercinariesgtr

yah i ll post some pictures of it with its MIJ family. The burny and edwards are both tobacco bursts

Rate This Thread: