Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
OliveG

NGD (MIM strat)

Here it is next to the amp I made myself... pretty basic I guess. Used MIM Strat. I tried a few used ones, including a G&L Tribute. The other strats were so-so, one of them was almost identical but more recent (like 2004) but sounded weirdly lightly dull regardless of the tone settings. The white strat I was hoping to try was already gone, so no play acting Wayne's World... this one I really liked the sound of. I tried the G&L and sound-wise it was really close but somewhat I kept going back to that one, even after realizing that it was kind of banged up at the bottom. Part of it was the neck, I really like the neck on this one, the finish is just right: not too thick but not too thin either, it plays really nicely. It helps that the action is pretty good on it too, but it was good on the G&L as well. And I like the look of it, unlike the G&L. It came with a hard shell case too. I think it's from '99 judging by the serial number. I just put some new strings in it, cleaned it really good (I can't believe there was still some of the plastic protecting film on the pickguard under the volume and tone knobs after all this time, you could hear it when moving the knobs - maybe the pickguard has been replaced, I don't know...), setup the intonation (which was a little bit off, but not by much - and the action is already pretty good)... I've got a winner I think! So far I got some 9-42s on it but I'm thinking going to 10-46 later. Right now it plays like a dream, uber-comfortable, and the sound is really good.

OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
ikey_

what amp is that?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

HNGD!

And you say you made your amp yourself? Color me impressed! What kind of tone do you get out of that?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Ippon
Amped

Nice!

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
ikey_

pardon, is the amp modelled after something? what is the tube layout, watts, channels?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
OliveG

Yup, homemade tube amp from ax84.com, it's the Single Ended Lead (~12W, only one channel). Two preamp tubes (12AX7s) and one 6V6. And woodwork done on my knees with shitty tools! :-D Initially it only had one 12AX7 but I added another stage to get more gain. Sounds pretty good too, especially clean and slightly overdriven. I don't get a huge amount of saturation from it, but if I need gobs I just use my Pod. I'm getting a Joyo Vintage Overdrive for Christmas, I think it'll sound dynamite! It was pretty fun to make actually...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
monwobobbo

nice looking strat. cool looking amp enjoy
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
thebends26

Nice grab man! Always loved the classic sunburst on Fender's, and nice amp too! If you can, post a recording I'm really curious to see how that amp sings! Happy NGD!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Epiphone SG G-400 w/ Pearly Gates in the neck
Vox AC15
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Line 6 GX
Line 6 PODfarm 2
thebends26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
OliveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebends26
Nice grab man! Always loved the classic sunburst on Fender's, and nice amp too! If you can, post a recording I'm really curious to see how that amp sings! Happy NGD!

Thanks! The sunburst actually looks really classy I think...

I have some very light picks (.38 mm) around which I were using on my acoustic to strum around, and I'm finding they work/sound really well with 9/42 strings. I was mucking around with some Dire Straits stuff this afternoon and it sounded awesome...
Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nice

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: