Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
jasondurham88

Peavey 6505+ Q

Hello everyone, I hope someone can offer some advice. I recently bought a used peavey 6505+112 combo from guitar center. I had to get it online so i couldnt test in store. So I opened it, plugged in the guitar turned the amp on and... nothing.

No sound at all coming from the amp. This is my first real tube amp so i dont know if im stupid and overlooking something or what. The tubes in the back glow a little bit orange, the green light comes on in the front but no sound at all. The peavey logo lit up for half a second then went off but the green lights stay on.

I plan to return it in a few days but i dont want to show up and it be something trivial and make myself look dumb which i pretty much am lol, not to mention its a very long drive so id appreciate any advice. Thank you to anyone that can reply.
jasondurham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

is the speaker plugged in the back?
Are you turning the pre and post gain up?

Plug your guitar into the fx loop return while the amp is on. do you hear anything?

Take it back
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

Plug your guitar into the fx loop return while the amp is on. do you hear anything?

Take it back

x2.
R45VT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Taz9

I guess you waited long enough but tube amp takes a little while before you can hear anything. Like 30 seconds or so. Then, make sure all volumes are high enough. (Guitar volume, volume on amp, master volume). If there's a gain knob, make sure it's not at 0.

You probably already did all of that stuff anyway, maybe try another cable? Another amp? Another Guitar? Another pickup? Remove anything in between the guitar and the amp like pedals.

If it still dosen't work I guess there's something wrong...

Hope you'll make it work!
Taz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Blackfire.
There goes my money

You turn the power on and wait about 60 seconds, then turn on the standby switch... Then you should hear it with the volume up some.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
jasondurham88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

Take it back

Thanks for the reply, when i take the back grill looking thing off theres a short little cable that isnt plugged into anything, I dont know where its supposed to go. Is that the problem you think? I wish i wasnt this dumb but its my first real amp.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondurham88
Thanks for the reply, when i take the back grill looking thing off theres a short little cable that isnt plugged into anything, I dont know where its supposed to go. Is that the problem you think? I wish i wasnt this dumb but its my first real amp.

Is it connected to the speakers?

Do you see anything plugged into the speaker out section on the rear of the amp?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
jasondurham88

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Is it connected to the speakers?

Do you see anything plugged into the speaker out section on the rear of the amp?

No nothing it plugged in, is that where its supposed to go? God i feel so dumb if thats all it is lol
Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Pics would help a lot.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
Viscerus

Is the standby off...?

'Post' is your volume control for both channels, if you had them turned up to 10 trying to get it to work you may have actually blown something up, If not then perhaps the speaker is unplugged...but I don't think running the amp with no speaker plugged in is good for it either; It may be best to take it back, in case you mess it up worse.

The Peavey logo light is supposed to stay on for as long as the amp is on.

Also while it's a good idea to let the tubes warm up in standby it doesn't take 30 seconds for them to make sound :\
Viscerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
No nothing it plugged in, is that where its supposed to go? God i feel so dumb if thats all it is lol

This sounds like the speaker cable came unplugged in shipping or something.

Do you see your speaker outputs on the amps back panel?

Can you post pictures?

And don't turn your amp on for the time being.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
~Luke~

Quote:

Yeah, the loose cable you saw should be the speaker cable (just check where it comes from), plug that in the speaker output and while you're at it check if the Impedance switch is set on 16 Ohm (assuming it still has the stock speaker/other 16 Ohm speaker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
This sounds like the speaker cable came unplugged in shipping or something.

Do you see your speaker outputs on the amps back panel?

Can you post pictures?

And don't turn your amp on for the time being.

+9000

Having no load (=Speaker) connected can cause serious damage to your amp!
~Luke~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

So- let's gets this straight- you have nothing connected to your speaker output next (directly to the right of your FX loop) and you have a loose cable- if it is coming from the speaker box section plug this into your speaker output- shouldn't matter which one as they are wired in parallel. Set your impedance to 16ohms and turn it on and play.

Guitar center may have disconnected it for shipping purposes in case it got impacted there.

Last edited by R45VT : 12-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Rate This Thread: