Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Resurrect this forum!

I frequented this place for years, posting every song I wrote, getting valuable responses, and giving valuable responses. It was really a good thing, but the forum is dead now. I stopped posting music here because I wasn't getting responses, and I feel bad because I am also guilty of listening to nearly everything posted here and not actually commenting on any of it as well. Nobody likes seeing that their tab was opened 100 times, but nobody had anything to say. It makes you assume everybody hated it. I want to see this forum revived, and so I am vowing that (once I am done with finals...) I will be responding to every tab that is posted, no matter how little I feel I have to say about it. Who's with me!?
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

I, on the contrary, assume that my stuff is perfect and that nobody has any value worth posting.

So those 450 views (I'll allow more than enough to excuse those who have posted in it and repeats) are more or less people telling me it's perfect in my latest piece and all the others.

That said, when I have some music worth posting, I always look for some pieces I like and also try to find stuff that has lower view/reply counts. Occasionally when I'm busy and there's something that really catches my ear, I'll respond. Even if I'm busy with my studies. Australian universities finished exams at about 2/3 of the way through November.

Good luck with your exams.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
I, on the contrary, assume that my stuff is perfect and that nobody has any value worth posting.

I just assume the opposite because I know that when a song is really bad beyond the repair of a few words of advice I ignore it, and when I hear a great song I feel the need to let the OP know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
That said, when I have some music worth posting, I always look for some pieces I like and also try to find stuff that has lower view/reply counts. Occasionally when I'm busy and there's something that really catches my ear, I'll respond. Even if I'm busy with my studies. Australian universities finished exams at about 2/3 of the way through November.

Good luck with your exams.

And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Ometh
nobody

I miss this subforum

EDIT: I do still check it almost everyday, I really like checking out stuff some of you post here. I'd crit more aswell, but I'm too lazy/apathetic/whatever to care enough to crit things. I'm sorry

Last edited by Ometh : 12-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
MobiuZ

i will only comment on the songs that interest me ( unless c4c ) seeing as im mostly into heavy metal 80% of everything posted here is not my thing , so id rather not comment than say something bad just because its not my thing. doesnt mean i dont listen to just about everything posted here though

but i do agree , things used to be more lively here , i think we should have more incentive to comment eachother , like some sort of system that rewards us for commenting , i dunno just rifing

Last edited by MobiuZ : 12-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.
MobiuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiuZ
i will only comment on the songs that interest me ( unless c4c ) seeing as im mostly into heavy metal 80% of everything posted here is not my thing

This is a lot of why I haven't been commenting until now, but the way I'm seeing it, it's still possible to suggest improvements even if the style isn't your thing. Hell, even if a song is already your thing and awesome you can find one or two places to suggest an improvement.
Other music
Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

Macabre_Turtle is right, never underestimate the suggestion of an informed opinion. I've learnt much from some harsh critiques here (both on mine and others).
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
JazzDeath
Oracle of the Absurd

To be honest I'm a bit guilty of this, but mostly because I'm very critical... when I listen to a piece here that I find has a lot of flaws I don't comment because if I did it would be a wall of things I consider flawed, I don't know if that makes sense. Because of that I tend to only comment on things I enjoy at a base and think I can make, small constructive comments on... I don't like to do half assed critiques so when I do them I try to make them really detailed and constructive, but that also makes me do less of them.

I mean in a way, even when people do comment on my pieces often it's not very critical, and it's nice to have people tell you they like your stuff, but I really search for valuable insight and criticism to improve myself, and that's fairly rare in itself.

Other thing is last piece I posted, no one asked for c4c except one person and they asked me to crit their entire album for one piece... I mean it's a bit ridiculous in my mind to ask me to crit 40 minutes of material when I posted 4 minutes.

I'd prefer people completely blasting my work over no comments at all, since that's effectively useless, so I understand this sentiment. I can try harder to be active here since I really consider peer review to be a huge part of what improved me as a composer early on.
JazzDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDeath
To be honest I'm a bit guilty of this, but mostly because I'm very critical... when I listen to a piece here that I find has a lot of flaws I don't comment because if I did it would be a wall of things I consider flawed, I don't know if that makes sense. Because of that I tend to only comment on things I enjoy at a base and think I can make, small constructive comments on... I don't like to do half assed critiques so when I do them I try to make them really detailed and constructive, but that also makes me do less of them.

I mean in a way, even when people do comment on my pieces often it's not very critical, and it's nice to have people tell you they like your stuff, but I really search for valuable insight and criticism to improve myself, and that's fairly rare in itself.

Other thing is last piece I posted, no one asked for c4c except one person and they asked me to crit their entire album for one piece... I mean it's a bit ridiculous in my mind to ask me to crit 40 minutes of material when I posted 4 minutes.

I'd prefer people completely blasting my work over no comments at all, since that's effectively useless, so I understand this sentiment. I can try harder to be active here since I really consider peer review to be a huge part of what improved me as a composer early on.

I skip songs I consider highly flawed as well. As somebody who listens to, writes, and appreciates prog metal, its hard to hear some noob styled powerchord pentatonic cheesy rock song and try to comment with anything but "this whole thing is incredibly boring. Set your goals higher." At the same time, knowing that I do this makes me assume everyone hates the music I post if it isn't responded to, even though I should know its because people have no criticism to make because when this forum was more active my music was being quite highly praised.

Anyway, this posts reminds me, I haven't followed through with this since finals. I'm gonna have to find my time to do that, whether I'm able to give the pieces detailed crits, some ass-kissing praise, or just rip it all apart because it sucks. Even negative crits feel better than being completely ignored.
Other music

Rate This Thread: