Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Pure Metal Originals (P.M.Os)

One thing I am and always have been obsessed with in the world of Metal are albums that strive for and manage to be a unique audio creation using only tools of Metal. And by this I mean the whole package is a 100% creatively new sound and approach to crafting a metal album without straying out of Metal's proud roots. What I typically have found is that these albums use a combination of new riffs/riffing style, unique production, and creative song structure to propel their entirely unique atmosphere. Albums like these are rare and almost unanimously delightful in their efforts.

Remember: Unique Riffs; Unique Atmosphere; Unique METAL. No outside influences must taint these albums with their tools of music. Let us strike the earth to dis-entomb the few metal bearing ores that are to be found in the dead soil of the Metal genre!

Assessor - Invaze

As soon as the first two riffs of SetkŠnŪ begin to topple over each other and go into their downward thrashing spiral of atypical riffs, you know you're in for a rare treat of Deathly Thrashing origins. A warm and open production that reeks of analog glory will scare off the uninitiated, but the chosen few will find a rewarding frequency of attacking riffs that come from bizarre directions and angles. And who ever played behind the drumkit of this album knew exactly what those uncharacteristically deadly riffs needed.

Also, the Czech language was made for Metal.

Lavra - Bluenothing

Welcome to Blue. Here, everything is shades, shades of blue. Plodding forward with odd chords of doom smothered in a blue syrup of unknown origin, this canvas of an album relies on textured layers of riffs and the occasional humble synth that serves only to further the aberrant Metal coming from your speakers. Motifs take their time to find their breath and once the right note is hit it amps up the Blue and you float slowly down its intended path. This sounds like something an electronic musician from the 60s/70s might have made if he found the lost city of Atlantis to be inhabited by strange visitors from another place with a fondness for Metal.

Listen as blue becomes you.

Cauldron Born - Born of The Cauldron

Some of you may be thinking, what's so unique about that awesome Power Metal album? Soaring vocals, catchy song structure, typical swords and sorcery lyrics... where's the uniqueness we are looking for? Those of you who had that thought need to practice your listening skills because what we have here is undoubtedly one of the single most identifiable riff styles in Metal. When Howie Bentley writes and plays a guitar or bass riff, you immediately know it's a Bentley piece. The bouncy melodic stop-go nature of his riffs and their unpredictable pacing makes for an absolutely wonderful lesson in what constitutes the capability of the Metal Riff! Try not to bang your head to this one posers.

Quote:
The cross avails us not, there's something unholy about this sacred lot!
Ghosts from the past rise up to toast the dusk of the living dead!
The walls are closing in.....
Glassy eyed we join in the song of the living deeeeeaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAAddddd

Demilich - Nespithe

You knew it was coming. I don't even need to describe this one.
Tune in. Turn on. Drop out.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
The Wildchild
Ketš sš rakastat

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

The Red In The Sky Is Ours actually influenced me to make this thread tonight. Driving home on San Diego's Highway 15 during the one potent rainfall we've gotten all year while hearing screaming statues and the laughing dead reminded me just how awesome a unique True Metal album can be. Slaughter Of The Soul may have a vicious bite that spawned thousands of imitators, but that red sky cannot be mimicked!

And I can't fellate Drawing Down The Moon's strange journey enough.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Goblinbot

Timeghoul - Panaramic Twilight demo

Goblinbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Stranglehold

Let's get some actual discussion going Š la VG's first post, lads...just blindly posting youtube links will kill a thread.

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Stranglehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

When given the opportunity to polish the balls of an album I love I usually get into a ramble and never shut up about why it's such an awesome album. I relish in these moments. I encourage you guys to do the same. It's as awarding as great sex.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
Born Headless

I wanted to post something a bit "quirkier" like diSEMBOWELMENT but I just can't pass these guys up. Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer embodies everything that is black metal from both a musical and ideological standpoint and YET is able to find its own identity within said niche. The flat, lifeless chants, original riffing, death metal-esque drumming, and lack of a bass make for a very unique experience.

CRUSH! CRUSH! CRUSH! JEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Born Headless

Hmm, on second thought I'm not sure if this makes the cut. It's a damn good album but it may be a little too orthodox for what you're asking for. It's not near as strange as some of the others mentioned and the atmosphere is kind of typical for a black metal release. But eh...

CRUSH! CRUSH! CRUSH! JEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer is very orthodox man.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Born Headless

Well someone's not a killer in search of Christ...

Fine.

Unique riffs - (X)
Unique atmosphere - (X)
Unique metal!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Headless
Well someone's not a killer in search of Christ...

Fine.

Actually I'm a huge fan of the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Headless

Unique riffs - (X)
Unique atmosphere - (X)
Unique metal!

It has its own flavorings, but I wouldn't say it's an entirely new main course.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Really like that Lavra album, and it's fairly interesting to see their transition to Bluenothing from their death metal albums.

But onto the thread. The first one that comes to mind is Manilla Road's Crystal Logic. I think I'll write something nice about it tomorrow when I get the chance.

Hmm, I might have another I want to share tomorrow. Something substantially less obvious. But at the very least you all can remind yourself of just how Crystal Logic sounds like nothing else. They took heavy metal, but didn't change anything. It was about magic and mystery, but the vocals and slam dunk riffs have proven that this album is the Michael Jordan of the metal world. Yes that's ridiculous, but I don't care because I am getting lost in Necropolis. Lost in Necropolis.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
Born Headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
Actually I'm a huge fan of the album.

It has its own flavorings, but I wouldn't say it's an entirely new main course.

So you're going to count Born of the Cauldron but not this? I see your game... Last one. If you don't accept it you're dead to me:

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #14
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger

You know who wrote unique music? Paul goddamned Masvidal and company.

Cynic's Focus is so damned unique that vocoders can never be used in metal again without the comparison to Cynic, and I'd say that is pretty damn unique. As if the vocals alone couldn't set Cynic apart from the crowd, the riffs just scream Cynic so much that if anyone were to to double pick arpeggios like Masvidal and Gobel, we would call them thieves. Few will ever achieve what Cynic did on Focus.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Stillbirth Machine and Focus both do it for me as far as this thread is concerned. Stillbirth Machine mostly for its potent atmosphere.

Graal - Sigullum Naturae

A hidden gem. Discovering this lost artifact is utterly rewarding in its spectacularly bizarre reconstruction of Death Metal's horror. Jarring, dramatically desperate riffs, moody swinging keys that are ever so subtle, characteristic leads that layer on the stupefying bamboozling effect on the listener. Repetition builds tensions so perfectly, sometimes resolving and yet at other times choosing not to. Alien riffs and frantic paces make appearances as nervous and sporadic rhythms that soon become mingled with a new related riff.

A Must listen.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 12-20-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Doom

Quite often you hear some pisspoor absolute shit that is supposed to be "ok" and its existence is justified just because the band is just having a laugh, as if not being serious is an excuse for appalling music. This attitude is rather prevalent among certain groups of thrash and metal-/deathcore fans. Lo and behold, the Lamp.

Simon, or The Overtly Melancholic Lord Strange if you will, has one of the most unique voices ever put on record. The way he writes music is his own, yet its deeply rooted in the traditions of Black Sabbath. Thus, to say there are "no outside influence" would be very much a stretch, but something that maintains its integrity despite being consciously ridiculous is a rare thing. This stuff could've only come from the quirky island of Albion. I love the Lamp.

HEY, YOU! YOU MOTHERFUCKING WHORE! YOU'RE GONNA BURN, THERE'S BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW!

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyardís mouldering stones I recognise a name Ė my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix : 12-20-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Portents, Omens & Doom is one of those albums I can hear once a day every day and not grow weary of it in the slightest manner. I'm going to say that album surely fits in this thread for a myriad of reasons but I think another forumer put one thing very well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haytham
.....It's a fairly basic tendency in metal, shared to some degree between Jag Panzer, The Lamp of Thoth and this version of Absu, all of which is based to a large degree on a sense of not really giving a **** about externally imposed order; for The Lamp of Thoth, it's expressed primarily in terms of not really caring about conservative Christian morality and going around seducing virgins and tripping, but Christian morality here is basically representative of imposed, heteronomous morality in general, being its dominant form in the West......
.....Of course, this kind of music generally has a dissociative effect to it; that is, Harry Conklin isn't really much of a mass murderer, and The Lamp of Thoth are a metal band named The Lamp of Thoth, so one would assume that they don't go around seducing virgins as a common pastime. The primary end is tearing down pretensions, rather than a positive one per se. As such, there's often a humorous note to proceedings; The Lamp of Thoth are one of the few good bands that could accurately be characterized as comic.....

And despite its wonderful self aware comic effect the music itself is very serious in its expert execution. Those riffs man.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 12-20-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
technicolour
Lupercal

This album is absolutely uncompromising in turns of blinding speed and simplicity.

Last edited by technicolour : 12-20-2013 at 12:34 PM.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepulix
The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Doom

You're a wonderful man and I am reminded of why I used to post here so often.

Personally my vote goes to:

Final Prophecy - Beyond Reality

Final Prophecy were a one shot band that only released one demo in 1988. Their sound is unique and entirely unparalleled. They take the grit of German heavy metal and mix it with a grand, epic sound reminiscent of some USPM acts. The result is a release entirely unlike any other. Their take on speed metal was extremely refreshing and the demo remains to be my favorite gem that I have come across. I discovered these guys roughly 4-5 years ago and it took many months of searching and asking until I finally found the demo. I've been doing as much as I can spreading the word around because Beyond Reality is truly just that. The demo shows the band's great potential and it is a true shame that they never released anything further.

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to say that Tyrant's Too Late to Pray falls under this thread's category as well, but I have spent enough time fellating that release on these boards that I will just leave it at that.
\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Do you own a copy of Too Late To Pray Mr. Pslave? I have a copy I don't need.
an unenlightened one

Rate This Thread: