Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Metal_Head1
MTR

I know I mention them a lot here, but Infester come to mind. Would you agree?

Also, Powerslave, Final Prophecy are pretty awesome, please share some knowledge in this thread when you get the chance, because like half of the threads you've started are relevant (and linked), hah
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

To The Depths, In Degradation totally belongs in this thread. Who says Death Metal needs to be blistering fast attack riffs?
Im not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Stranglehold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
To The Depths, In Degradation totally belongs in this thread. Who says Death Metal needs to be blistering fast attack riffs?

The riffs on that album sound like the essence of liquid arse rope, generated by a bad kebab. Filth.

I have a few contributions to this, but will add when I'm not hammered.

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Stranglehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Head1
I know I mention them a lot here, but Infester come to mind. Would you agree?

Also, Powerslave, Final Prophecy are pretty awesome, please share some knowledge in this thread when you get the chance, because like half of the threads you've started are relevant (and linked), hah

I'm glad you enjoyed Final Prophecy. I'll stop by the thread and see if I can drop a few nuggets here and there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
Do you own a copy of Too Late To Pray Mr. Pslave? I have a copy I don't need.

I do not, Mr. Fish. However, I am not sure how much you know of my situation but it is a little complicated. I no longer own any physical metal release or any metal shirts or anything of the sort. I still live with my parents and they're helping me pay for college. Once I graduate and acquire a steady income, I shall be free to start a real physical collection and do as I please. I really do appreciate your gesture, though. You can never have too many copies of that album!

While we're on the subject, I think I should explain a little why I feel that album belongs in this thread.

No other album before, or after, will be able to match what Too Late to Pray does. To me anyways, it is the pinnacle of what metal is. The blazing solos, the gritty vocals mixed with soaring falsettos, the crushing riffs, the pronounced bass, the perfect drum lines, and most importantly the oozing, thick atmosphere all mold together to create something truly incomparable.

While Too Late to Pray receives a lot of attention in trad circles, I truly do not think another album has come close to giving me the chills the way it does.

I'm curious about your stance on this release and the Final Prophecy demo. Although, I already do have an inkling. You were one of the only people I talked to that already knew Final Prophecy while I was on my hunt.

Also I'd like to commend you on Cauldron Born. Even though they get a fair amount of recognition in USPM circles, they are definitely understated.

To further contribute to this thread, I'd like to bring attention to Sororicide's The Entity. To me, it's a near perfect blend of doom and death metal. Most bands' take on doom death results in nothing but a bastardization, but I feel Sororicide did something truly right with their release and the result is a twisted, evil, crushing album. Perhaps it isn't quite as original as the other stuff discussed, but I think this deserves a minor mention.

Continuing, I think Faustcoven also have a unique take on extreme doom. The Halo of Burning Wings sounds like a Vitus or Pentagram album with the production and vocals of true black metal. I've asked quite a few guys and I have not found another band to attempt a similar take on doom and black metal.

I'm also very, very surprised you did not mention Acid Witch. While the core of their sound has already been done, they certainly have a unique twist on Death/Doom that is very refreshing.
\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #25
Zero Substance

I discovered diSEMBOWELMENT in the middle of a death/doom kick and I had never heard anything like it. The atmosphere of oppressive depression and suffocation they cultivate on this album is still unmatched. Their riffing and execution was completely original and it is almost impossible to sound too much like them without being a complete and obvious rip-off.
Zero Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Powerslave/
I'm curious about your stance on this release and the Final Prophecy demo. Although, I already do have an inkling. You were one of the only people I talked to that already knew Final Prophecy while I was on my hunt.

Also I'd like to commend you on Cauldron Born. Even though they get a fair amount of recognition in USPM circles, they are definitely understated.

Final Prophecy is wicked. Production is surprisingly well done and they have some killer arrangements. I wouldn't call it purely original but rather purely outstanding. Try not to bang your head to that one right?

And I knew Cauldron Born was going to raise eyebrows in the context of this thread but I still maintain that a Howie Bentley riff is IMMEDIATELY identifiable within seconds of it gracing your ear. That guys musician ship stands out in such a unique way that it deserves the title of PMO. No one else plays like that guy.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #27
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Holy shit Graal is insane. Loving this so much.

I'm trying to think of what to post but I'd just post something like Gorguts or Blut Aus Nord
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Anubi - Kai pilnaties akis umerks mirtis. Actually, I have VG to thank for this one. A lucid dream trip through a Lithuanian swamp mists. An album that steps far beyond being simply some performed music.
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

This Lavra album is something else. Some of the best "indie" influenced metal I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if John Haughm and co. had been spinning this for years.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #30
deadsmileyface
u*(wot/m8)

deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
progbass
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virtuoso
You know who wrote unique music? Paul goddamned Masvidal and company.

Cynic's Focus is so damned unique that vocoders can never be used in metal again without the comparison to Cynic, and I'd say that is pretty damn unique. As if the vocals alone couldn't set Cynic apart from the crowd, the riffs just scream Cynic so much that if anyone were to to double pick arpeggios like Masvidal and Gobel, we would call them thieves. Few will ever achieve what Cynic did on Focus.

wait this sounds familiar. I have heard this style of guitar playing before.

just can't quite remember where. I mean, Cynic obviously didn't take it from anyone.

well, maybe.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
progbass
UG Resident

I'm floored that you dick sucking fags have failed to mention this truly unique and interesting gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromantia
I am the one who is of the night
I am the one whose breed is of the Dragon
I am the one whose song is of the wolf
I am the one whose life is of your Blood
I am the one who is whorshipped for thousands of years
I am the one you shall serve
FOREVERRRRRRR

Never fails to enthrall me for an exciting journey. It's as if the vampires are the parasites from Lumley's version of Dracula and I am a prisoner of my own mind as the leech subverts me to all it's insatiable appetites.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Windham Hell - Window of Souls

As I sit on the bus, surrounded by greasy sausage fingers attached to smelly Iranians, while I am bombarded visually with the unenlightened grooving by a unenlightened female, as the sun shines directly through me as if there is no semblance of righteousness in this world,

This album transports me to a world of knowledge. An inescapable mysticism engulfs me and my eyes, although now sightless, turn into waterfalls of ecstacy, an outpour of my being begins. My heart is blessed by this album as I turn to transient energy carelessly floating in a state of existence and non-existence amidst the cosmic aether. Pretty neat album.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic

Last edited by severed-metal : 12-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #34
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

The Ruins of Beverast belongs here.

Like them or not, each album is very unique, having completely their own sound.

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #35
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

@progbass: While I totally agree with your sentiments, my favourite track from them is "Tribes of the Moon". It isn't Metal, although easily one of the most intense and terrifying pieces I've heard in Metal (IMO).

I also feel that King Diamond deserves a spot in here, Abigail is one hell of a concept album. It was definitely quite unique at the time for a Metal band to take on such an ambitious idea and realise it. Not sure if you guys feel the same way though. I think I also agree with nearly all (if not all) the posts put in this thread so far.

EDIT: Also, nobody riffs like Joe Haley from Psycroptic. That guy is an absolute beast. Immortal Army of One is one that comes to mind, but the fact that he can pull off thematic development just as good (if not better) than Morbid Angel, and not require another guitarist is phenomenal.

Last edited by HaydenHohns : 12-24-2013 at 06:31 AM.
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

I just listened to the legendary Winter Kill album by Slauter Xstroyes again and it occurred to me that it was never mentioned in this thread. I felt the need to rectify that immediately.
\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Ive probably fellated this band enough, but seriously

hyper violent manic thrash grind, bludgeoning Slayer riffs and Napalm blasts encapsulated in a time chamber, shot into space, only to return to punish a desperate technological ruin of earth. Every note, shriek, and snare executed with sniper accuracy and intense urgency.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #38
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

I was raised on Repulsion Grind. Modern Grindcore I don't give a fuck, but Gridlink are one of a very few exceptions. You put it better then I could have said it really.

I can't think of another album with something similar to Amber Gray's production style that I enjoy. It's clean that way. But Gridlink has a such wonderfully crafted frantic pace to their music. The production actually becomes heavily atmospheric, especially so when you take in a whole album in one sitting.
an unenlightened one
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #39
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

I've always felt like these were fairly unique, where they breaking new ground at the time of release? Not sure but I think the Barathrum demo probably was to some degree.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 12-31-2013 at 08:40 AM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #40
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
Holy shit Graal is insane. Loving this so much.

Check out the other brainchild of Leonid Savin, Brainstorm. The EP is really rough but you can see that when given the tools they had on Sigullum Naturae, they could have done some awesome Death Metal with a heavy dose of aberrant atmosphere. I expect some won't appreciate it, but Sigullum Naturae scratches my itch for something different yet 100% Death. I often find myself listening to it after The Key or Worlds Beyond The Veil or something to that extent.
an unenlightened one

Rate This Thread: