Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
kanuhokage

Am I going good?

I started playing acoustic guitar this may 2013(for first time ever),bought electric a month later, and now December I can strum nearly all chords and play bar chords easily.I can play stairway to heaven and solo, sweet child o mine solo complete, I've been told I'm really good at it by few band members, I wanna know.... am I going good?
kanuhokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Listing what you listed actually means nothing. Your idea of "playing" solo's etc is very very different to an experienced players. I have a very strong feeling if you show me yourself playing that solo i will confidently be able to say "you can't play that solo". Also guitar is not a competition. Saying you can play bar chords easy too.. I can confidently assume that you can't. The only way we can judge if you're "going good" is if you post a video of yourself playing so you can have others critique it. Unfortunately it doesn't really mean anything, because as i said guitar is not a race, and unfortunately beginners all have this mindset that you should reach certain milestones at certain points. Guitar is absolutely nothing like guitar hero however.. You don't play one thing and suddenly move from beginner to intermediate, then play another and become an expert. It is absolutely NOTHING like that. It's kind of the curse of being a beginner guitarist though, because i think quite literally everyone subconsciously considers it a race when they begin, but over time you realize it really isn't and being able to play one thing and not another means shit all.

Sorry for being a dick about it, but it's the harsh reality. Noone cares what you can and can't play. It means nothing.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SwoobGuitar

To each their own, mate. If you're having fun with it, you're going good.
SwoobGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I have no opinions on what you can or cannot play at the moment, but I just wanted to point out that there's no way to know all the chords, because there are countless different permutations.

Obviously you're referring to all the basic open chords, but I thought we should be clear about that.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Saying you can do something doesn't mean much about your progress to be quite honest. There isn't a scale of 1-10, I can't say "you're a 6" based on that information and I can't say "you can definitely play this, this and this because they are only a 4" because none of this exists.

Also, we can't just take your word for this without seeing any evidence. You might say you can play the solo for Sweet Child o' Mine and yea, we might be able to guess what solo you're attempting without being told and just hearing you play it but, I'm going out on a limb here and saying that there will be issues. It might be obvious hearing it that you're a beginner, you may sound like the real thing, we can't judge that with words.

Rather than looking for these milestones, set yourself your own goals. There are no set markers of progress, people learn certain things easier than others. Setting your own goals lets YOU know you're getting better.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Well, let's just change the topic of this thread then. Shoot a vid and we'll see if you're doing anything wrong / anything that limits you in your process of "going good".
Old 12-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoobGuitar
To each their own, mate. If you're having fun with it, you're going good.

Id go along with this.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
AfghanVet
Door Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Well, let's just change the topic of this thread then. Shoot a vid and we'll see if you're doing anything wrong / anything that limits you in your process of "going good".

+1
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
AfghanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
PoopShovel
Scoopin' up the chords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
Listing what you listed actually means nothing. Your idea of "playing" solo's etc is very very different to an experienced players. I have a very strong feeling if you show me yourself playing that solo i will confidently be able to say "you can't play that solo". Also guitar is not a competition. Saying you can play bar chords easy too.. I can confidently assume that you can't. The only way we can judge if you're "going good" is if you post a video of yourself playing so you can have others critique it. Unfortunately it doesn't really mean anything, because as i said guitar is not a race, and unfortunately beginners all have this mindset that you should reach certain milestones at certain points. Guitar is absolutely nothing like guitar hero however.. You don't play one thing and suddenly move from beginner to intermediate, then play another and become an expert. It is absolutely NOTHING like that. It's kind of the curse of being a beginner guitarist though, because i think quite literally everyone subconsciously considers it a race when they begin, but over time you realize it really isn't and being able to play one thing and not another means shit all.

Sorry for being a dick about it, but it's the harsh reality. Noone cares what you can and can't play. It means nothing.

Troll.

Look i get ur points man, but you don't need to be a DICK. i've seen some of your other posts too. There's nothing wrong at all with having confidence in your playing. I know when I learned the beginning of a song, I was freakin infatuated with guitar. And I felt like the best guitarist in the world..I know thats unrealistic and not true, but there's nothing wrong with being excited.

Agree with everyone else, send us a vid so we can see how good you are.
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
PoopShovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShovel
Troll.

Look i get ur points man, but you don't need to be a DICK. i've seen some of your other posts too. There's nothing wrong at all with having confidence in your playing. I know when I learned the beginning of a song, I was freakin infatuated with guitar. And I felt like the best guitarist in the world..I know thats unrealistic and not true, but there's nothing wrong with being excited.

Agree with everyone else, send us a vid so we can see how good you are.

Not trolling at all, just being honest.

It's far better to be a dick to someone early on by hitting them with a dose of harsh reality than to massage their ego and give them unrealistic expectations.

The threadsarter is most likely going to suck at guitar, of course he is, because EVERYBODY sucks at guitar when they're just starting off. Accepting that is the best way to set yourself on the right path and start improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShovel
Troll.

Did you just call me a troll? That's probably the most helpful advice on all of this thread. And you've seen my other posts too? Are they all trolling? No.. I actually give people advice. Whether it's brutal or not, it's good advice. You shouldn't be on the internet seeking help if you can't take a bit of a harsh response. As Steven Seagull said, it's me just being honest. Why would i sugar coat things? This isn't the 'Guitar Techniques and Holding Hands' forum. I wish I could've had brutal honesty when starting the guitar. I try to pass down my knowledge from once being a beginner with shitty learning habits going through all the typical things beginners do to help enrich others learning experiences.
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
PoopShovel
Scoopin' up the chords

I guess guys, my bad
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
PoopShovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
dropb81

I'd say the real reality is that if YOU think your'e going good then you are. Just keep playing and learning. Learn whatever songs you want to know, in addition to the major chords learn the major scales, get fluent with them, learn to keep time, learn song structure, then meet and jam with musicians that are better than you. learn from them.... learn, learn, learn

Its not about the destination, its about enjoying the ride.
dropb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
macashmack
Maskcashmack

post that vid ts.
Although, you've been playing for about half a year, so most likely no, you're not good.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

I agree with vayne, one of the most awful things (at least, for me that is) when it comes to playing guitar is realizing you're not as good as you think you are. However, those moments are also your wake-up call. I remember recording myself for the first time. It was painful, but from that point I started paying more attention to my technique, my ear, my practice routine. It makes you a better player.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
I agree with vayne, one of the most awful things (at least, for me that is) when it comes to playing guitar is realizing you're not as good as you think you are. However, those moments are also your wake-up call. I remember recording myself for the first time. It was painful, but from that point I started paying more attention to my technique, my ear, my practice routine. It makes you a better player.

Especially as a beginner you never truly understand how terrible you are until you record yourself. I also remember my first time recording myself I was completely oblivious and in denial of how shit i was
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
steven seagull
not really a seagull

We've all watched the early rounds of X Factor (insert your favourite regional talent show here if you don't have X Factor), and we've all laughed at the utterly deluded ones who can't sing a note.

This is what happens when people don't get told they suck . If you tell people they're great when they're not, or worse when they're crap, then they have no reason or motivation to try and get better. Her family and friends can hardly contain their pride and joy, faces beaming as they're utterly oblivious to the car crash unfolding in front of millions - they honestly believe she's amazing, and because of that she does too.

The longer it goes on the harder it is to go back and fix the problem - there's nothing worse than thinking you were doing well at something for years, only to suddenly find out that you were crap. The earlier the wake-up call comes the better, not only is it easier to take because you've wasted less time and energy, you've also got far more time to fix things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the TS is necessarily awful, just that he should be prepared for the possibility that he might be. And there's no shame in that, nobody was born knowing how to play the guitar.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

^That reminds me of something.. Last year I participated in some sort of talent show at my school. Played some nocturne by Chopin on piano on front of 300 people or so. Lots of compliments afterwards, felt great. All of it was filmed, so I bought the DVD and watched it.

I have barely played any piano since. I know, it kind of contradicts the statement I made earlier, but this was me listening to myself for the first time after over 3 years of playing. It was demotivating, to understate the whole thing. However, recently I was reading on some classical guitar forum, and someone basically said the following: to the untrained ear, you sound 10 times better. I guess that's true to a certain extent.

If you're not happy about your playing like I was with my piano playing, you don't necessarily suck. It's just that you suck for you and yourself only. To a certain extent.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I think that's an important part of the learning process - if you want to make real progress you really need to be your own harshest critic.

You can take pride in your achievments, it's important to acknowledge progress otherwise you feel like you're getting nowhere, but it's important to be aware that you still have a lot to learn and be objective about your own abilities.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
CJGunner7

The moderators on here shut down so many threads that don't need to be shut down but don't shut this down?? if there's no video or audio what's the point of this thread

Rate This Thread: