Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
AfghanVet
Door Kicker

For The Good of The Order- Gibson PCB pickup installation

Hey guys,
I recently went to attempt to install some new pickups in my Les Paul. Imagine my surprise when I opened her up and saw a printed circuit board instead of a traditional set up. I've been playing for about 15 years and had never even heard of these! I scoured the internet to try and find a way to still install my pickups, and the solutions I saw were to either swap out the PCB, or crimp the pickup wires in to an adapter. I'm not to keen on crimping the wires and definitely wasn't about to buy a new circuit board. After a little but of thinking, I realized that if you unplug the desired pickup and then just solder in the new one as if the PCB wasn't there, it functions perfectly fine! It saved me a lot of time, work and some cash. I figured I would post some pictures for anyone else in the future that may find themselves in my predicament.

Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator

Last edited by AfghanVet : 12-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
AfghanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
AfghanVet
Door Kicker

I know it's not the ..."cleanest" wiring job, but it's functional!
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Nice work! You're not going to be flashing the control cavity when you play, so don't worry if it's stable. What's the new pickup?

I think that the PCBs are pretty common for Les Paul models, probably for the sake of saving some time on the production line. If you ever want to do away with it, you should be able to just desolder the pots and caps from the board, then rewire it how Gibson should have done first.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
AfghanVet
Door Kicker

Thanks MintSauce! - The pickup is a Lace Alumitone Deathbucker... which isn't nearly as mean as the name makes it seem. If you haven't heard about the Alumitone design, I'd say it's worth a look. It is basically a completely new take on pickup design. Instead of having wire wrapped around magnets, the pup itself is copper with two magnets built. It's also completely hallow, and weighs about half of what a typical pickup does. Super high, passive output. Shameless plug.

I'll probably rip the PCB out at some point... it just seems so impractical from a modification stand point.
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator

Rate This Thread: