Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Reverb&Reggae

Sitar questions

Does anybody know the difficulty of owning and maintaing a sitar? They have always interested me but all those pegs freak me out. Thoughts?
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Reverb&Reggae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Bikewer

I was around when the Sitar had a spate of popularity... Beatles and all. The actual Sitar is a bear to learn and to handle and maintain. The frets are moveable, for instance.

If you check out the used instruments market, you may find a Coral electric sitar... A pretty standard electric guitar that was set up with a bridge that allowed the strings to give that Sitar-like twangy sound... Quite popular for a couple of years.

Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

As the child of parents who grew up the 60's I listened to a lot of 60's and 70's music in my youth, my favorite band was the Beatles and my favorite Beatles songs are "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Love You To", "The Inner Light", "Within You Without You", and "Norwegian Wood". You can see the pattern here. That said I have always been fascinated by a sitar, and any other drone producing string instrument, 12 string-guitar, mandolin etc.

What Bikewer said is entirely accurate sitars are amongst the most complex string instruments, if not the most complex, not counting something like a moodswinger. That's why most sitar sounds on record by American and British bands are either from a Coral sitar or some other sitar emulator, with the exception of Brian Jones and George Harrison and some others.

My recommendation is to buy one of these.

I tried one at a guitar center, and If I had 250 bucks then I would have bought it (and when you think about it 250 for a whole instrument which is essentially what you get is hard to beat). It's truly amazing and I only scratched the surface of what it was capable of, but playing the riffs to "Within You or Without You" and Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" gave me chills. That pedal is dead on. The Sitar needs to be used in rock more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: