Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
xXPinkFl0ydXx

did Pink Floyd do a lot of drugs/experiment with them?

I have heard that Pink Floyd was into drugs, and then I have heard that they wouldn't be able to write songs if they were on drugs (which I know isn't true becuase a lot of the great songs that were written were written by people that were on drugs, like the doors songs.) I'm not talking about Syd Barrett either because I know that he did drugs so bad that he got kicked out of Pink Floyd. So, did Pink Floyd do drugs through thier career, or did they steer clear of them?
xXPinkFl0ydXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Bobbyz94

is the pope catholic? of course they did drugs
Bobbyz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede

Are you kidding? They pretty much STARTED straightedge christian metalcore. Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
BledGhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
gutturalguitar

David did coke for a while, I think it was 1974 to 1994. Supposedly, Rick was kicked out during the production of The Wall for consuming drugs, but those are just rumors. I also read that Roger Waters had an LSD trip that went quite awry, so he stopped using it (he has only used it twice). Early on, I believe that they all smoked quite a bit of marijuana, as well.
gutturalguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
AndyP25

Depends what you mean by "into drugs". It's pretty clear that they experimented with LSD, smoked cannabis and took coke. The extent is up for debate. They've been pretty inconsistent in interviews and it depends on how much you believe them but they've always denied heavy usage. Because their music is heavily associated with drug use, many assume that they were off their faces on drugs the whole time and that's probably false. They're often associated with LSD but, apart from Syd, they've not admitted to anything more than a few episodes of experimentation and I believe that's probably true.

If you compare reports of Syd's performances or studio work while on LSD (e.g. completely losing the ability to play guitar and banging out random chords and freak outs on stage) with the accomplished and polished work of post-Syd Floyd, I find it seriously unlikely that they could have done that while completely mangled. Apart from anything, they watched their bandmate and friend deteriorate into severe mental illness as a result of heavy LSD use. Enough to put anyone off!

I think much of the drug fueled mania around Pink Floyd is a myth and they probably didn't write or perform their music tripping balls as many assume.

Last edited by AndyP25 : 12-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.
AndyP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
thkoby

I agree with Andy, it's mostly to do with their fanbase. I don't they set out to document a drug experience through their music, it just their music itself is well suited to taking drugs.
thkoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

meh, they're all very skilled musicians and their music is pretty complex for a rock band. Im sure they all tried random drugs, just like most adults have. All rock bands from back then were on drugs lol. I really like the early stuff they did post barret before dark side of the moon. Really good stuff.

Last edited by Peaceful Rocker : 01-03-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
romencer17
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP25
If you compare reports of Syd's performances or studio work while on LSD (e.g. completely losing the ability to play guitar and banging out random chords and freak outs on stage) with the accomplished and polished work of post-Syd Floyd, I find it seriously unlikely that they could have done that while completely mangled. Apart from anything, they watched their bandmate and friend deteriorate into severe mental illness as a result of heavy LSD use. Enough to put anyone off!

just wanna comment, you say this like LSD destroys your ability to play. while Syd went through a lot of trouble, his main problem was mental illness and while his abuse of LSD was what made it so bad it's not like he dropped a tab and went insane. Just wanted to point out that although near the end of his time in the band he was pretty out of it and strumming random shit, all of the great studio and live recordings of him in the floyd are sure as hell LSD-fueled as well and it definitely played a big part in the unique style of his playing.

also, i always figured Floyd did keep experimenting with substances but just tried to keep really discrete after being pegged the 'drug band' cause of Syd. It's hard to listen to something like Ummagumma or watch Live At Pompeii and not think psychedelics were involved somehow.

Sumdeus

Last edited by romencer17 : 01-03-2014 at 02:57 PM.
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
pachap
Hack in training.

In regards to Syd, drugs and / or mental illness and its effect on the music has been a long, endless debate. I am of the opinion that Syd's drug abuse and history of mental illness, both prior to his stint in the band and after, cannot be divorced from each other. Both had an intense influence on their early music. For example, Syd was known to drive the band to long, endless jam and rehearsal sessions. This helped to give the band a good work ethic and taught them to take the time to fully explore and flesh out new ideas. It wasn't solely about getting high and fueling creativity.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
AndyP25

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
just wanna comment, you say this like LSD destroys your ability to play. while Syd went through a lot of trouble, his main problem was mental illness and while his abuse of LSD was what made it so bad it's not like he dropped a tab and went insane. Just wanted to point out that although near the end of his time in the band he was pretty out of it and strumming random shit, all of the great studio and live recordings of him in the floyd are sure as hell LSD-fueled as well and it definitely played a big part in the unique style of his playing.

also, i always figured Floyd did keep experimenting with substances but just tried to keep really discrete after being pegged the 'drug band' cause of Syd. It's hard to listen to something like Ummagumma or watch Live At Pompeii and not think psychedelics were involved somehow.

“it’s not like he dropped a tab and went insane” Pretty sure that’s not what I said or implied. “heavy use” doesn’t equate to “a tab” for most people. Just to be clear, Syd was reported to have taken a lot of acid by any standard. Acid in the 60s was reported to be very strong by today’s standards (and not in tab form btw) and Syd took a lot of it. “Acid in the coffee every morning” was one account of his use. Whether or not LSD was the cause or the catalyst to his mental illness is up for debate and nobody really knows for sure but I don’t think many would deny that it had a significant adverse effect on him. And no, acid doesn’t destroy your ability to play but it does have an effect on it. The point I was trying to make (perhaps not very clearly) is that the post-Syd Pink Floyd are a very tight, professional and polished live act and very different from the LSD fueled performances whether you’re talking about the point where Syd completely broke down and was no longer able to function, or the free flowing psychedelic performances where he was more in control. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have seen people perform under the influence of LSD and I have never seen post-Syd Pink Floyd give a performance that would make me think that they were performing under the influence.

Whether or not LSD was or wasn’t the cause of his mental illness is slightly academic. My other point was that his bandmates watched him deteriorate while taking a lot of acid and it probably put them off going down that path. Back then acid wasn’t particularly well understood and people were just learning the effects it had on people. Some initially thought that LSD would lead to some form of panacea of enlightenment but then people started crashing and burning and reports of “acid casualties” started coming in. People started hearing of users ending up in sanatoriums as a result of use. Btw, there are many documented cases of people suffering from severe psychological illness and being institutionalised as a result of a single use of LSD, often as a result of being “spiked” so effectively there are people who “dropped a tab and went insane” as you put it. Thankfully that is very rare. The other members of Pink Floyd watched first hand as Syd deteriorated while taking large quantities of acid and whether or not you think it was the cause, it’s likely that it made them think twice.

And some quotes that may be of interest in this discussion
Rick Wright “Everyone knows the story of Syd; it’s a sad story. I think he was brilliant. Acid certainly had something to do with his mental breakdown. The point is, you don’t know whether the acid accelerated the process that was happening in his brain, or was the cause of it. No one knows. I’m sure the drugs had a lot to do with it”. “Syd was very influenced by a lot of people around him, who encouraged him to take trips. There are a load of acid casualties out there. He wasn’t alone. Back then, we had people like Timothy Leary openly advocating it: trip out and take it every day. Wrong? Yes. Misguided? Yes. It was wrong for me. I took two trips in my life”
Roger Waters “I believe Syd was a casualty of the so-called ‘psychedelic period’ that we were meant to represent. Because everybody believed that we were taking acid before we went on stage all that stuff… unfortunately, one of us was, and that was Syd. It’s a simple matter, really, Syd just had a big overdose of acid and that was it. It was very frightening, and I couldn’t believe what had happened.” “We went to the gig and we more or less did it without Syd. He may have been on the stage but really did it without him, he just stood there with his guitar hanging around his neck, which was something he was prone to do”.

I’d like to make one last thing clear, that I am a huge Syd Barrett fan. I think “Piper at the gates of dawn” is a fantastic album and his two solo albums are brilliant, erratic, and absolutely heart breaking. I believe that he was a truly inspired and visionary artist, I also believe that he was damaged by LSD.

Last edited by AndyP25 : 01-04-2014 at 04:27 AM.
AndyP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Syd was doing a lot of acid before the limits were really known, it was a new drug, he took it too far and it fried him.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
romencer17
UG God

andy i wasn't disputing that syd abused acid or that it played a part in his mental illness. just want to advocate for the other side because i find these kind of discussions too often end up with only the anti-acid arguments. the part of your post that i quoted made it seem that you thought people on acid can only bang random incoherent chords while Floyd's later works could never have been done by someone on acid which I disagree with, although i see now that is not completely your opinion.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Short answer: Yes.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #14
Led Zep fan

ask syd haha
Old 01-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
BlackLedZepFan

I am new to this site and forum. I like Pink Floyd and their music a lot but didn't Syd's heavy drugs use lead to his mental illness which led to him getting kicked out of Pink Floyd?
BlackLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: