Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #21
jamesiles2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
It's not about who's the best or who learned the fastest. It's about appreciating the instrument and making your own journey.

It's really down to how disciplined and how you practice. If you can't stay inspired and devoted you'll not make it as a guitarist.

True that. I should just give it time.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
NecroComet

they are easy to play bro it took me 3 weeks to learn a few songs from them when i only had a short time on guitar(less than year)some song like tears dont fall, the last fight, hearts burst into fire, scream aim fire and fever. Waking the demon took me an extra week to nail now i even play it in E standard
NecroComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #23
Xpl0r

Time means nothing. Its about what and how you practice. For instance if you practiced for an hour or 2 per day doing warm ups, playing something your comfortable with (maybe refining it) then trying something slightly harder and learning how to do new techniques then cool downs you should be able to play them in a matter of months. Best thing to do is pick a song that you know by ear pretty well. Once you look at the tab dont jump straight into playing it at 100% speed, play it slow first, maybe bout 50% or if its really fast try about 30% tempo. Once you have it nailed at the slow speed increase your tempo a bit and keep repeating that until you can play it at 100% tempo.
Xpl0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
shiggityswah

You really need to stop viewing this as a time thing. There is no 'To be X good you need to spend Y months playing'.

It's dependent on how often you play, how you practice, whether or not you're self taught/have a teacher... the list goes on and on. It's a completely unique thing

More importantly, learning guitar is not about the outcome. It's not about how quickly you can learn to play whatever song, it's about learning technique and developing yourself. In a few years time your musical tastes will have probably changed and if you're a one trick pony only being able to play BMFV then it's going to destroy your confidence again.

Learn at your own pace and make it fun for yourself. You really need to change your thinking if you want to be successful at guitar and have fun while you're learning.
shiggityswah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesiles2004
So I'm going to need even more time to play Pantera/COB? Hmmmmm...

Why do I find it not the same playing the song versus listening/watching the artist?

(like when I watch YouTube cover of bands... it's not the same).

Sigh, why am I thinking like this?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'not the same'? You mean it sounds different? It feels different? It's less exciting?

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
Black Rat 1214
has a very large... spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
You really need to stop viewing this as a time thing. There is no 'To be X good you need to spend Y months playing'.

It's dependent on how often you play, how you practice, whether or not you're self taught/have a teacher... the list goes on and on. It's a completely unique thing

More importantly, learning guitar is not about the outcome. It's not about how quickly you can learn to play whatever song, it's about learning technique and developing yourself. In a few years time your musical tastes will have probably changed and if you're a one trick pony only being able to play BMFV then it's going to destroy your confidence again.

Learn at your own pace and make it fun for yourself. You really need to change your thinking if you want to be successful at guitar and have fun while you're learning.

What this guy said.

Don't even consider thinking about marking your progress against a certain period of time. Come to think of it, aside from music grading there is no real or definitive way of measuring progress. You play what you want to play, when you want to play it.

I started out with this one song I used to want to play (which 9 years later i still find ****ing nightmarish!) but once I started learning a few different songs by different people in different styles I found I was having more and more fun just by exploring what I could do.

And it's not surprising that what you play doesn't sound exactly like how you hear it on the album or whatever. The amout of variables there is mind boggling. Even if you're using the same model of guitar, no two will EVER sound perfectly alike, there are different amplifiers with their EQ settings, the pedals (if any) that are being used, the type of cabling used, not to mention the amount of post-processing done in the studio, in addition to the individual guitarist's technique.

But even so, don't let it put you off. I've found that I can make some songs sound even better to me by either adding or removing distortion as the most primitive change I make.

At the end of the day, you should want to come home after work or whatever, pick up the axe and noodle for a bit. If it's become a chore to play the thing, you might as well sell it.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Black Rat 1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #27
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Quote:
I'm focused on the Scream Aim Fire album, that's their best. I would say.

I'm so tempted to give up. I guess I need about 10 years to play Pantera...

What are BFMV's easy songs?

Yea I agree, Scream Aim Fire is the best album Fever would likely be the easier album to play (if you like that album of course). I would just keep trying parts of songs from that album if you like it that much and working out what you can and can't do.
Can't play the solo for Waking the Demon yet? No biggie, learn the rest and try the solo at a later date when you've gotten better.

If I were you I would stop putting time periods on things and trying to BE the bands you like.

Look for other bands you like (BFMV can't be the only band you like) and try playing some of their songs. Keep trying songs and riffs and when something is too hard for you leave it and come back later when you have progressed a little more in different aspects. Look at some of the lessons posted here and try using them to become more fluent with different techniques or just get a guitar teacher.

As for time periods, it doesn't matter. Everybody learns at a different pace and everybody finds certain things easier to learn than others. You shouldn't be looking at how long it took other people (like the people here) to master certain aspects, you should be looking at your own progress and knowing that this time last month you couldn't do that thing you're doing now.

Quote:
Hmmmmm... sounds like a lot of effort to when I could just listen and watch the artist who play the songs better anyway.

Is it normal to be comparing myself to the artist?

It might be a lot of effort but it's nice being able to play that song and the more you practice the better you'll become at playing the songs.

I would also say it's somewhat normal though I don't think I would compare myself to anybody this closely.
You'll find that in time you will likely change your opinions and your tastes will change anyway. When I first started getting into guitar I was really into Bullet. I still like them and will listen to an album occasionally but my tastes since then have changed dramatically. If I would have only learnt songs by Bullet back then I would have been disappointed that I had become a one trick pony only capable of imitating Matt Tucks riffs.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #28
Mud Martian
Slow Shredder

Depending upon your level of skill and knowledge with guitar, it may take you anywhere from three months to three years to master the entirety of Bullet's catalog. However, I must stress the importance of being versatile, and knowledgeable, about all aspects of guitar and music.

If you have a poor ear for knowing pitches and chords, and little to no understanding of scales and scale forms on the fretboard, it's going to take you a very long time to learn how to play if you're simply playing based on tabs.

My suggestion is that you use a program like Audacity or Transcribe to learn how to play the songs you want to play by ear, rarely resorting to tab. Both programs have a means to slow down the song without affecting the pitch, an extremely useful tool for learning faster parts of songs.

Once you know a whole song or even just certain parts of a song, I also highly recommend using a metronome or a drum beat. Staying in time is just as if not more important as being able to play the song to begin with. Practice by starting with a low beats per minute, much lower than the actual song, and slowly - slowly! - raise the beats per minute during your practice session, until you are able to play even faster than the song itself.

You'll find that once you scale back to the appropriate speed, it will feel easier. Sort of like how lightly jogging doesn't feel as rough when you've been full blown sprinting.

You can follow my advice, and many others, to form your own practicing methods. But seriously, stop focusing on time, and start focusing on what you're doing with that time.

Before you know it, you'll know how to learn and play anything you set your mind to, including Bullet and Pantera songs.
Mud Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #29
jamesiles2004

Yup. I know my chords and scales (minor pentatonic/major pentatonic) etc. I really look up to Tuck as a god-like figure, same for Children of Bodom and Pantera (RIP Dime|).

Actually, Dimebag was the reason I picked up the guitar.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #30
jamesiles2004

Do I have to play the bend in this tab?

--15-17b19~-15-14-15-14h17p14-----

-5h7p5h7- << How is this played? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #31
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Do I have to play the bend in this tab?

--15-17b19~-15-14-15-14h17p14-----

-5h7p5h7- << How is this played? Thanks.

You seem to be lacking in understanding of some very basic guitar techniques here.

That first bit tells you to bend the 17th fret upwards until it sounds like the 19th fret, and then do some vibrato (if you're not familiar with this idea, just youtube it. I don't know how to explain vibrato over text). I personally still after all of these years find the idea of doing vibrato on a note you've already bent to be incredibly difficult. We all as players have upsides and downsides, and there's one of my downsides. If you can't pull it off either? Then oh well. Ignore it until you can and keep having fun. Tuck's performances aren't flawless either.

The next couple bits (14h17p14, and 5h7p5h7) introduce hammer-ons and pull-offs. I could explain those, but again, it's probably easier for you to just youtube a lesson.

Covers:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #32
jamesiles2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
You seem to be lacking in understanding of some very basic guitar techniques here.

That first bit tells you to bend the 17th fret upwards until it sounds like the 19th fret, and then do some vibrato (if you're not familiar with this idea, just youtube it. I don't know how to explain vibrato over text). I personally still after all of these years find the idea of doing vibrato on a note you've already bent to be incredibly difficult. We all as players have upsides and downsides, and there's one of my downsides. If you can't pull it off either? Then oh well. Ignore it until you can and keep having fun. Tuck's performances aren't flawless either.

The next couple bits (14h17p14, and 5h7p5h7) introduce hammer-ons and pull-offs. I could explain those, but again, it's probably easier for you to just youtube a lesson.

I have problems adding vibrato to a bent note. Dang. That's one technique I can't do on top of a bend.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #33
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
I have problems adding vibrato to a bent note. Dang. That's one technique I can't do on top of a bend.

Well, I can't do it either, and I still consider myself a rather impressive guitar player. Hell, I can't even vibrato on the high E string because I vibrato towards that end of the neck and I would just pull the string off. Nothing wrong with finding something you can't do. You'll always need goals to build on. And like I said everybody will succeed in some areas and lack in others. Consider the fact that I pretty much nailed this song this song that many new guitar players would view as nearly impossibly impressive at least three years ago...

show

...and I STILL can't do that very thing. My point is, there's no reason to get worked up if you can't yet achieve a certain goal (whether it's a certain technique, a certain song, or emulating a certain band). If you keep practicing you will excel at something.

Covers:
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #34
jamesiles2004

Quote:
Well, I can't do it either, and I still consider myself a rather impressive guitar player. Hell, I can't even vibrato on the high E string because I vibrato towards that end of the neck and I would just pull the string off. Nothing wrong with finding something you can't do. You'll always need goals to build on. And like I said everybody will succeed in some areas and lack in others. Consider the fact that I pretty much nailed this song this song that many new guitar players would view as nearly impossibly impressive at least three years ago...

show

...and I STILL can't do that very thing. My point is, there's no reason to get worked up if you can't yet achieve a certain goal (whether it's a certain technique, a certain song, or emulating a certain band). If you keep practicing you will excel at something.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt the opening to "Hearts Bursts Into Fire" (the intro)

Then that's two intro's on the Scream Aim fire album I can play.

Do I have to play the intro in Drop C or could I get away with playing it in D standard?

Last edited by jamesiles2004 : 01-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #35
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt the opening to "Hearts Bursts Into Fire" (the intro)

Then that's two intro's on the Scream Aim fire album I can play.

Do I have to play the intro in Drop C or could I get away with playing it in D standard?

I'm no longer familiar with their music, but I believe Hearts Burst Into Fire starts with a tapping melody? If this riff doesn't touch the lowest string then no, there's no need to retune from D standard to drop C.

Covers:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #36
jamesiles2004

Quote:
I'm no longer familiar with their music, but I believe Hearts Burst Into Fire starts with a tapping melody? If this riff doesn't touch the lowest string then no, there's no need to retune from D standard to drop C.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/b...to_fire_tab.htm

This says it's a normal intro. Hmmmmm. :P
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #37
jamesiles2004

Nothing in my view beats the original song...
Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/b...to_fire_tab.htm

This says it's a normal intro. Hmmmmm. :P

I just looked up a video and he definitely taps in the intro. However all of the notes can be reached without tapping, so its up to you. Whatever is easier for you.

Covers:
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #39
jamesiles2004

Quote:
I just looked up a video and he definitely taps in the intro. However all of the notes can be reached without tapping, so its up to you. Whatever is easier for you.

What notes does he tap? All of them? What about the open string notes?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #40
jamesiles2004

I had a break from the guitar today... I guess I should do this once in a while.

Rate This Thread: