Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
xxxxChrisTxxxx
Registered User
 
xxxxChrisTxxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesiles2004
What if I dedicate all my time to playing their songs?


Less than 24hrs later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesiles2004
I had a break from the guitar today... I guess I should do this once in a while


xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #42
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxChrisTxxxx
Less than 24hrs later.....




What do you mean? Why spend all my time trying to play their songs when someone can do it better?
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #43
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Well folks. I can now play the opening to Hearts Bursts Into Fire.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #44
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Not much... but something, I suppose.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #45
Cing Krimson
Salad
 
Cing Krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland
I know next to no BFMV songs, but I guess they are quite fast and technical sometimes? I don't know if you've just started playing, but I would say: if you're starting guitar don't try an play fast songs, you'll get frustrated and unmotivated quickly.

When I started I got a few lessons with some chordal stuff (Beatles, RHCP etc) but then I moved house. With those lessons on simple chords I thought I was ready to play stuff like "Number of the Beast." How wrong I was.

Firstly, I spent ages trying to figure out the tabs, which annoyed me, then I tried to instantly play it at full speed which annoyed me even more because I couldn't, and then I tried learning a bit of the solo which just made me want to cry.😪

I then learned some more reasonable songs like 'Iron Man' and 'Enter Sandman', but not the solos, and I could play them which built my confidence and slowly but surely, with loads of practice, I could play faster and faster songs.

Might sound like I'm telling my whole guitar life story here 😄 but the point is: playing fast does not come instantly, you need to practice a lot, and practice songs that are reasonable, be realistic. Been playing over four years and I still can't play the number of the Beast solo 😄 and 4 years isn't a lot, I still feel myself improving every week!
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #46
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
I know next to no BFMV songs, but I guess they are quite fast and technical sometimes? I don't know if you've just started playing, but I would say: if you're starting guitar don't try an play fast songs, you'll get frustrated and unmotivated quickly.

When I started I got a few lessons with some chordal stuff (Beatles, RHCP etc) but then I moved house. With those lessons on simple chords I thought I was ready to play stuff like "Number of the Beast." How wrong I was.

Firstly, I spent ages trying to figure out the tabs, which annoyed me, then I tried to instantly play it at full speed which annoyed me even more because I couldn't, and then I tried learning a bit of the solo which just made me want to cry.😪

I then learned some more reasonable songs like 'Iron Man' and 'Enter Sandman', but not the solos, and I could play them which built my confidence and slowly but surely, with loads of practice, I could play faster and faster songs.

Might sound like I'm telling my whole guitar life story here 😄 but the point is: playing fast does not come instantly, you need to practice a lot, and practice songs that are reasonable, be realistic. Been playing over four years and I still can't play the number of the Beast solo 😄 and 4 years isn't a lot, I still feel myself improving every week!

I can play a ton of intros

Enter sandman, fade to black, sweet child of mine, say goodnight, master of puppets.

Better than nothing, I guess.

When should I eventually learn full songs?

(Might be a good idea if I practise doing some intro's fast) and this could help build speed in songs, eventually.

Last edited by jamesiles2004 : 01-06-2014 at 07:13 PM.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #47
Cing Krimson
Salad
 
Cing Krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland
Playing intros and riffs are ok on their own, but being able to play a whole song is much better if you wants to progress. It builds your stamina (which you really need for songs like Master of Puppets, believe me), but it's also needed if you want to be a proper musician or in a band, obviously.

Try Enter Sandman or something like Iron Man or Smoke on the Water, they're classics and not too challenging. Just plug your iPod or whatever into a dock or speakers if you have them and play along with the songs and enjoy yourself! Eventually, when you get better in a couple of years you could try to join a band, it's the best thing ever! But don't think about that now...

I still learn a riff instead of a whole song sometimes, but I find I forget a lot of them after like 6 months, which isn't usually the case when I learn full songs and practice them a lot.
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #48
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
Playing intros and riffs are ok on their own, but being able to play a whole song is much better if you wants to progress. It builds your stamina (which you really need for songs like Master of Puppets, believe me), but it's also needed if you want to be a proper musician or in a band, obviously.

Try Enter Sandman or something like Iron Man or Smoke on the Water, they're classics and not too challenging. Just plug your iPod or whatever into a dock or speakers if you have them and play along with the songs and enjoy yourself! Eventually, when you get better in a couple of years you could try to join a band, it's the best thing ever! But don't think about that now...

I still learn a riff instead of a whole song sometimes, but I find I forget a lot of them after like 6 months, which isn't usually the case when I learn full songs and practice them a lot.

Mhmmmmmm. I guess it's better playing your own music. Do you think it's harder to play other people's songs or write and play your own?

(I can play half of say goodnight by BFMV).

I think it's harder learning a whole song.

Last edited by jamesiles2004 : 01-06-2014 at 07:24 PM.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #49
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
It's one thing learning and playing the intros but it's quite another to play it to the record.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #50
Cing Krimson
Salad
 
Cing Krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesiles2004
Mhmmmmmm. I guess it's better playing your own music. Do you think it's harder to play other people's songs or your own? (write your own music).

(I can play half of say goodnight by BFMV).


I don't actually try and write a lot of my own songs, Ive come up with a few riffs but I'm going to start writing soon with my band.

At the moment it's probably better to learn other peoples songs, but not just one band or genre. Learn a wide range of different styles and techniques and you will be better off than only learning BFMV stuff. But if you come up with some riffs, great! It's hard to write good songs when you don't know a lot about guitar. It all takes time and practice, remember that! 😃
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #51
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
I don't actually try and write a lot of my own songs, Ive come up with a few riffs but I'm going to start writing soon with my band.

At the moment it's probably better to learn other peoples songs, but not just one band or genre. Learn a wide range of different styles and techniques and you will be better off than only learning BFMV stuff. But if you come up with some riffs, great! It's hard to write good songs when you don't know a lot about guitar. It all takes time and practice, remember that! 😃

I'm self taught. I wish you or someone who's been where I've been would give me a two week plan or something. It would be a great help.

I know chords, some techniques, scales, intro's and two rift's. What do I do next?

Last edited by jamesiles2004 : 01-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #52
Cing Krimson
Salad
 
Cing Krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland
I'm mostly self taught as well, apart from very basic chord stuff, but I can't remember exactly what I did when I started properly. your username is telling me you're about 9 or 10 years old. You have SOOO much time to practice, just stick at it and play realistically skilled songs. Being self taught isn't bad, it just means Youtube is our teacher!

As a plan, I'm just suggesting this so don't think it'll make you amazing after, learn the whole of a relatively easy song,let's just say something like Enter Sandman , NOT THE SOLO, and practice that until your fingers bleed!!! Maybe not that much but you know what I mean, practice it a lot WITH the song playing through speakers when you learn all of it, it sounds SOO much better with drums etc. Go on youtube and type 'How to Play Enter Sandman on guitar' and look for one with tabs on the screen. ( i believe there's a guy called something like ObeyYourMattster who does quite good Metallica lessons and the tabs are up there.

I take it you have and electric guitar and an amp with distortion, you'll need it to sound similar.

After that learn another song that's not too hard and practice it a lot then play along with it.

You need to build up stamina in your arms and hands, playing fast songs require that and the only ways to do that is to practice, or I suppose some exercise training in those areas would help a bit to...

Last edited by Cing Krimson : 01-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #53
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
I'm mostly self taught as well, apart from very basic chord stuff, but I can't remember exactly what I did when I started properly. your username is telling me you're about 9 or 10 years old. You have SOOO much time to practice, just stick at it and play realistically skilled songs. Being self taught isn't bad, it just means Youtube is our teacher!

As a plan, I'm just suggesting this so don't think it'll make you amazing after, learn the whole of a relatively easy song,let's just say something like Enter Sandman , NOT THE SOLO, and practice that until your fingers bleed!!! Maybe not that much but you know what I mean, practice it a lot WITH the song playing through speakers when you learn all of it, it sounds SOO much better with drums etc. Go on youtube and type 'How to Play Enter Sandman on guitar' and look for one with tabs on the screen. ( i believe there's a guy called something like ObeyYourMattster who does quite good Metallica lessons and the tabs are up there.

I take it you have and electric guitar and an amp with distortion, you'll need it to sound similar.

After that learn another song that's not too hard and practice it a lot then play along with it.

That was the year I made the e-mail. The year Dimebag got murdered.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #54
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Changing the subject slightly... he was the reason I picked up the guitar.

Not Alexi Laiho or Matt Tuck (both of whom I've personally met).

Hmmmmm.

I own a basic jackson and two other guitars (handy for different tunings) and two ok ish amps.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #55
Cing Krimson
Salad
 
Cing Krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland
How long have you been playing then?
Cing Krimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #56
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
 
Macabre_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hermitage, PA
For now, just keep learning whatever you can. Don't worry about whether you can play whole songs or whether you can write your own. You're still very early on in your playing. Remember how I pointed out before that all of these bands spent years practicing to get where they are? It's going to take a little while before you can play any entire songs, especially if you're starting yourself on a fast band like BFMV. For now, just learn any bit of any song that you can, and don't worry about your progress.

As for what to learn next, besides new riffs, I doubt you understand chords and scales as well as you think you do. There is always more to learn there. Being able to play some of them doesn't mean you 'know' them. Knowing them means understanding why they work the way they do (intervals) and being able to use them to your advantage. Still, at the point your at I would still just suggest learning any simple thing you can. During my very earliest point of learning I was mostly find these things that were simple enough for a beginner to handle from Black Sabbath, Marilyn Manson, Bowling For Soup, Green Day, Nirvana, Linkin Park, and once I built up some speed, Slipknot and System of a Down. So, there's some suggestions. Even if no music that you enjoy is that simple (I've grown out of all of those bands, plus BFMV myself), they really are probably a better place to start.
__________________
Music from my upcoming album...
Atlas Burden'
And for those who don't enjoy screaming...
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #57
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
True. Practise, practise, practise.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #58
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Sucks that Dimebag got murdered nearly 10 years ago.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #59
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
hmm... my intro to hearts bursts into fire sounds nothing like the recording...

So either the tab's wrong or my playing is.

Last edited by jamesiles2004 : 01-07-2014 at 08:40 AM.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #60
jamesiles2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Hmmmmmmmm
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.