Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Best, Most Individual, or Most Influential Band:
Motley Crue 4 14.81%
Guns N' Roses 8 29.63%
Skid Row 1 3.70%
Metallica 14 51.85%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
devinp17

Best Band On This List

Who is the best, most individual, or most influential band on this list?
devinp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
JD Close
Everybody Shoops

first off, best, more individual, and most influential are three drastically different answers. Because I don't like any of them particularly, I'll say that Metallica, while I don't like them, have been smart enough to change their sound. I don't mind Chinese Democracy or The Spaghetti Incident, if you take them for what they're meant to be, and not Guns N' Roses records.

I abstain.
JD Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
MoJo-EaTeR
Sleaze Metal Idiot

Influential? Probably Metallica.
Individual? Hard to say, I'd go with Guns N' Roses.
Motley Crue is my favorite out of them so I'd say they are the best, but I'm undoubtedly in a minority group on that.
MoJo-EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
devinp17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Close
first off, best, more individual, and most influential are three drastically different answers. Because I don't like any of them particularly, I'll say that Metallica, while I don't like them, have been smart enough to change their sound. I don't mind Chinese Democracy or The Spaghetti Incident, if you take them for what they're meant to be, and not Guns N' Roses records.

I abstain.

I just put the "most individual" part in cuz I think GN'R is the most individual band on the planet (At least the old GN'R. Not interested in the new one). I've never ever heard a band that is anything close to Guns N' Roses.

Last edited by devinp17 : 01-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.
devinp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
JD Close
Everybody Shoops

I still abstain. I don't want my name attached to a revolution with so much potential for evil
JD Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

Going with Metallica. I mostly just picked the band I liked the most of that list because, as has been said, "Best", "Individual" and "Influential" are very different qualities.

I like Gn'R a lot as well, but overall I prefer Metallica's catalogue more.
Nickpocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

Metallica had the most influence on my playing from those in the list, I've learned almost all the riffs off the first 4 albums at some point in time. I never really got too into GNR, probably because of Slash tuning in Eb. But Civil War is one of my favorite songs of all time. GNR is fun to go back to know that I can sight read from tab most of Slash's bluesy solos. Motley Crue invented Glam Metal before MTV and the record industry ruined it. Skid Row was the last great glam band before grunge killed the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Metallica had the most influence on my playing from those in the list, I've learned almost all the riffs off the first 4 albums at some point in time. I never really got too into GNR, probably because of Slash tuning in Eb. But Civil War is one of my favorite songs of all time. GNR is fun to go back to know that I can sight read from tab most of Slash's bluesy solos. Motley Crue invented Glam Metal before MTV and the record industry ruined it. Skid Row was the last great glam band before grunge killed the scene.

To my ears Eb sounds so much better than E, but yeah, as a guitar player it's sure annoying to try and play with their stuff because it's not standard tuning. Even worse is trying to play along with Bon Scott's AC/DC because they're tuned between E and Eb.

I didn't even really realize Skid Row was on the list, but damn, dat Sebastian Bach. What a voice
Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpocalypse
To my ears Eb sounds so much better than E, but yeah, as a guitar player it's sure annoying to try and play with their stuff because it's not standard tuning. Even worse is trying to play along with Bon Scott's AC/DC because they're tuned between E and Eb.

I didn't even really realize Skid Row was on the list, but damn, dat Sebastian Bach. What a voice

Megadeth used to do the same thing in the early days dat 1/4 step down, the struggle is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Megadeth used to do the same thing in the early days dat 1/4 step down, the struggle is real.

Makes me want one of Gibson's guitars with the robot tuning: E, Eb, Eb.5, D, Drop D all at the push of a button
Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Basti95
the online version

Classic bands for when you're in the first week of a metal phase
Old 01-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
redhot99

Motley Crue is my favorite band so I'll say that they're the best, but Gun's N' Roses is definitely the most individual.
redhot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Why?

4 completely different bands, Metallica especially stick out like a sore thumb in that list.

Subjective & pointless thread is subjective & pointless. Threads like this are against the rules, I haven't reported it but I expect a Mod will close it anyway.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
CJGunner7

My favourite band's GnR and i think they're a very close second but i went for Metallica, To me it's like Guns and Motley have a big place in music especially the 80's and hard rock but metal wouldn't be the same without Metallica and i like Skid Row but they are miles behind the other 3
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
vanitybinge
Vanity Binge

Motley Crue is the best and the most individual, shit GNR just ripped of the Crue and Hanoi Rocks.
GNR is def more influential then F'ing Metallica, as Metallica only influenced metal bands, while GNR's influence can be heard from rock to pop to country and back.

Skid Row has the best singer. Period.
vanitybinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
jimihendrix6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanitybinge
GNR is def more influential then F'ing Metallica, as Metallica only influenced metal bands, while GNR's influence can be heard from rock to pop to country and back.

yea i wouldn't say that

metallica fo sho though. guns is great but i prefer metallica.
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: