Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
RyanMW2010

Where do i go from here? (sample of my playing)

Hey guys...I have the pentatonic positions down pretty well ..I'm still sloppy but working to amend that every day. Where do i go from here? How do I know which notes to add in between the pentatonic ones? I know this may be a theory question so I apologize if I've posted it in the wrong forum--but I've noticed there are a bunch of notes that work within the pentatonic 1st position and also the 5th..i'm just not sure how to incorporate them yet so my solos sound less "bluesy boring."

Here's a demo i finished the other day..everything in the song i did myself..the solo is the 3rd take or so, so not super polished, but it should give you an idea as to where I'm at

www.soundcloud.com/firstlineofwolves
RyanMW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

If that's you singing your voice is awesome man. I can't fully understand what you're asking in the question, but it sounds to me like you understand the pentatonic scale from a shapes perspectives (which is fair enough) opposed to understanding it for its sound and what note is being played. It's hard to learn but try to get away from visualizing the scale as shapes (it's really hard) and really REALLY remember the scale for what notes are in the scale and what they sound like. Once you get the shapes out of your head (i'll say it again.. it's ****ing hard) and can visualize it as a whole you'll be a better musician for it.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
RyanMW2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
If that's you singing your voice is awesome man. I can't fully understand what you're asking in the question, but it sounds to me like you understand the pentatonic scale from a shapes perspectives (which is fair enough) opposed to understanding it for its sound and what note is being played. It's hard to learn but try to get away from visualizing the scale as shapes (it's really hard) and really REALLY remember the scale for what notes are in the scale and what they sound like. Once you get the shapes out of your head (i'll say it again.. it's ****ing hard) and can visualize it as a whole you'll be a better musician for it.

Yeah, that's me singing. I did the whole thing in my bedroom, lol. Thanks a lot, man! Okay..so...I should be focusing on the notes and the sounds rather than the shapes. Okay. I guess I should also continue trying to learn the location of every note on the fretboard. I was trying to do that for a while and lost track. I should also be learning the sound of each note, I imagine? Full disclosure, I just about always play in D#. So will this deter my learning if I just call open big E's, "E" when it's really D#? I can't sing as well in E and I like the slackness of the strings in D#
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

The most important thing you can do here is to stop playing and start listening and thinking. You need to stop just letting your fingers run over what you know and start thinking about the sounds you want to make. If you don't know then sit and listen to the track and sing ideas until you do know.

Once you know what you want to play you can transfer that to the guitar; you obviously have recording equipment so record yourself singing a solo and then transcribe it by ear to the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
Tazz3

That was awesome it sounded kinda led zep.keep playing and singing you have lots of feeling
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
RyanMW2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz3
That was awesome it sounded kinda led zep.keep playing and singing you have lots of feeling

Thanks, man! When I finish this song, I'll be sure to post it here someplace for you guys if that's allowed. The solo will be "better" hopefully, too.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
CJGunner7

To improve my soloing i played to backing tracks on youtube just using the pentantonics and after a while you find other notes and places you can go, your solo isn't the greatest thing ever but it wasn't boring, it was nice, also great voice mate

Rate This Thread: