Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
theponz

Got a rough start, Help me expand?

So basically I've been playing various instruments for a while and always wanted to make music in a band setting but never found one. So I recently invested in a Boss BR-600 Digital recorder. It is essentially a digital 8-track with a direct input for guitar, as well as several mic inputs. I'm still learning how to use it and have made several really basic recordings just using the direct input from my guitar.

Where should I go from here? I would like to be able to record vocals so I've been looking at a mic, and don't need anything fancy. Would a simple Shure SM58 suit my needs? Also, the Boss has a USB port and the ability to export the tracks from it. Would it be worth investing in a computer program to allow further mixing/cutting/etc. ? I don't need pristine or high quality recordings, just a reliable and preferably simple way of getting my ideas out.

Thanks for any help.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

An SM58 would souit your needs, yes, though if it's for vocals you may wanna spend a bit more and get some Rode NT-1a together with a pre that has phanton power - an Alesis mictube will be just fine.

If you don't need to edit your stuff or to add funny effects or you have all the effects/editing you need on your BR-600 you don't really need any software to process your audio.
I mean it's your choice, do you think you could use more mixing/cutting/etc. ?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

An SM58 is always a good investment. It'll do a decent job of recording, and if you ever need to do any vocals in a band it's the best choice for that too. It should last you forever.

Unless you get into some pretty advanced recording & mixing, you shouldn't need to worry about using the USB for anything other than backing your work up.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
theponz

OK, thanks for the help guys. As much as I do love using effects ( I mainly play psychedelic rock and things of the like), I think the BR-600 will be sufficient for now, considering I'm still finding out all that it can do.

What is the difference between the SM57 and SM58? They both seem to be well-liked. Also, is there and real negatives to buying a mic used? They're pretty common on craigslist and saving money is always a bonus.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

The SM58 has a pop filter, the rest is the same.
It's useful if you're gonna use it for vocals mainly.

No problem in buying that on craigslist, SM58s are famous to be indestructable, just be careful if you're buying pricier stuff.
Ya know, go there and try it and so on.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

My only problem with buying a mic used, is that it's a used mic. If it's a genuine Shure, it should still work OK, but I just never like the thought of using someone else's mic. It's kind of like sharing a toothbrush.

I can be a bit OCD at times.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
My only problem with buying a mic used, is that it's a used mic. If it's a genuine Shure, it should still work OK, but I just never like the thought of using someone else's mic. It's kind of like sharing a toothbrush.

I can be a bit OCD at times.

If we're talking 58's then you can buy the pop filters for them pretty cheap. Then it's more like buying someone's used toothbrush, chopping the top off, then replacing it with a brand new one.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I know - but it still doesn't get past my OCD
Jet City JCA22H

Rate This Thread: