Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
fiqister

Need help in vocal mixing.

I am having problems with mixing my vocals to sit it up in the mix.
Here's a link of what i've produced by far. Vocals are panned left 48 right 48, and are in two tracks. I've applied compressions, eqs everything but its not just setting up in the mix... Any help should be appreciated. thanks...

Link:
http://www.2shared.com/audio/2NbX9wNU/1_online.html
fiqister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
FaceFive

That's not the only thing you're having problems with in the mix...
FaceFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ there's really no use in that unless you tell him what to do to get it better.

If ya ask me it sounds bad but it's not mixed that bad apart from the voice.
Raise it, or even better lower the rest, raise the high-mids, use a lot less reverb, use just one voice track and use the way you prefer to spread it.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
fiqister

If i raise the high mids, i get a very whispery sound from my vocals. And also if i use one vocal track, the volume has lesser volume than the actual mix.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
FaceFive

hipass ur verb a bit and up the predelay
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
FaceFive

actually with just a little eq on the whole track...
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/w9eb7t9b5dl7wj1/2.mp3

Volume's lower than your mp3 btw

Last edited by FaceFive : 01-11-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
fiqister

thanks i just heard that and yes it quite fits the song, but still the vocals are not sitting on the top. Yes, the volume of the vocals were very low, my apologies. you raised the eq on the whole master track?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
FaceFive

5db dip at about 2k and a boost about 470 about 2 or 3 db,

Try using less reverb and use delay for effect, it will bring the vocals in front
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

You mentioned compressors, but have you tried a vocal sidechain to the rest?

It's used to duck a track when vocals come in, but can be used with way more subtle att/release and tresholds to get a mixing effect.

You could sidechain the entire track as one group to work with the vocals, or just the instrument(s) that share frequencies with the vocals.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 01-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
fiqister

Allright, thanks for all the suggestion people. Ill try mixing it up, and then upload it to get reviewed by you people. I am a beginner when it comes to metal production therefore having a lot of difficulties. Another question, should i center pan the vocals? Is it a basic rule to center pan the vocals?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

No basic rule, but generally they are center panned if you're using only one track.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
tim_mop

You need to make some space for the vocals in the mix. Currently the guitars are huge, which is cool but they are taking over the whole of the mix. Roll off some of the low end in the guitars to clear up the bass, and dip them a bit in the low mids where the voice is. Try boosting the low mid in the vocals as well, they are sounding a bit thin at the moment.

With this sort of genre I'd be aiming for a close vocal sound with very little reverb/delay, so less of the plate sound I reckon. I'd say try using just one centre-panned vocal track for the verses (at least) as well.
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
fiqister

Okay so i've mixed this one too, i've used no reverb delay on this but it turns out the recorded vocals themselves have a room reverb. I've majorly used some presets for this mix, including eq presets and multiband presets. For me, vocal mixing is turning out to be the toughest job ever... Thankyou all for the replies, its really helping me out.

Link:
http://www.2shared.com/audio/a8aMDMKM/2_online.html
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
fiqister

And this is my vocals without any reverb, however the peaks on this are too high and are clipping.

Link:
http://www.2shared.com/audio/mZP8PmQj/3_online.html
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
fiqister

Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
tim_mop

The last full mix ("3") was much better I thought. Vocals could be a tiny bit quieter but aside from that they sit quite well.

The solo vocal track is not great, it's good that you've managed to mix them in pretty well given the quality. If you can, I'd say rerecord them in a mock vocal booth (the way I used to do this was open the doors of a wardrobe and drape a duvet over it to make three sort of walls. It's obviously not ideal but might help.

What mic were you using?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
fiqister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mop
The last full mix ("3") was much better I thought. Vocals could be a tiny bit quieter but aside from that they sit quite well.

The solo vocal track is not great, it's good that you've managed to mix them in pretty well given the quality. If you can, I'd say rerecord them in a mock vocal booth (the way I used to do this was open the doors of a wardrobe and drape a duvet over it to make three sort of walls. It's obviously not ideal but might help.

What mic were you using?

Firstly, thanks mop for replying and actually appreciating the hard work m putting into this track! i am using shure sm 58. So yeah, i read your advice and have recorded the vocals now in a mockish vocal booth, and obviously it literally killed all the room reverb i was having. The link to the mix:

http://www.2shared.com/audio/KvhEmNsY/1-Newzz.html
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
tim_mop

To be honest, I preferred mix 3 to that one! The vocals are now nice and dry but they are quite boomy and don't cut through very well. You could try two things:

- cutting low mids and boosting HF (200Hz cut, 4-8kHz boost might be somewhere to start) (generally if I'm not getting results I want after cutting more than 6-9dB then it's time to go back a step)

- rerecording vocals once more, in booth, but singing/screaming further away from the mic. Now you're in the booth you don't have to be right in the grill to get maximum voice/reverb ration. Being a bit further away (10-20cm) will lessen the proximity effect on the mic and make it less boomy.

Don't give up, this is the best part of recording - continually striving for improvement and the best sound possible. Your results have been decent so far and with a little more time and effort I think you'll have a sweet recording on your hands!

Last edited by tim_mop : 01-15-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
Rickholly74

EQ the vocal track alone till you are happy with the vocal. If you are doing this on a computer or a DAR that shows you a wave of the vocal track, look at the vocal track by itself. See where the peaks and meat of the vocal frequency wise then play your music tracks without the vocal. Find the frequencies where the music is at the same or higher than the places where the vocal is and EQ your instruments so you attenuate (lower) any frequency that are the same as the main part of the vocal. You only need yo do this a little. It shouldn't need to come down more than just 2-3 db. This will create a "notch" where your vocal will sit in the mix and not be overtaken by the other instruments. I like the music on the track but I don't understand one word of the vocal (not to be a wise ass but I'm not even sure what language this is) but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. This "notch" idea may bring out more of the vocal. Good luck with it.
Rickholly74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
tim_mop

I think what Rick means is (DAW, and) find a spectral analyser to look at the predominant vocal frequencies. Logic has one joined with the EQ, if you're not on Logic I think there's a free VST called VoxengoSpan or something like that.

Rate This Thread: