Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Asmithe
UG Newbie

This shredding stuff, isn't working out.

So I am making this topic because I am looking for an answer other than what I have gotten from experienced players I have talked to on youtube "practice, it takes time".

I have been playing for a few years. I have always wanted to be able to shred, but knew it would take time. So I did goof around, learning covers, and not really caring about the shredding. Just thinking that the longer I have been playing means I am just that much closer to being skilled enough to do alot of those Megadeth solos and whatnot. Just last year did I actually start sorta taking it all semi-serious. I have written a couple cool things, and played some songs. But I am still not able to shred.

I bought the tab book for Dethkloks first album, and learned most of the songs on there. The solos I can do great, but most of them are just sweeps and a couple of slower harmonies. I can play just about all of their songs perfect, but now that I am going back to E tuning and wanting to learn alot of my favorite Thrash songs; they are soooo much more difficult. Dethklok solos are just a couple of sweep patterns followed by a few mediocre-speed notes. Megadeths is a cluster**** of fast notes on the same/next string that require godlike coordination.

I don't expect you guys to magically make me great. There are 10 year olds that can shred incredibly. I can pick crazy fast, on one note. But when it comes to the left hand keeping up; its garbage. I am looking for advice other than just "practice"; practice what? What are some valuable exercises or songs that will help me learn? I couldnt sweep for crap before learning the Dethalbum, but now I can moderately sweep. Obviously practice is important, but practicing what? I need to learn to shred, can any of you give me some real helpful advice?
Asmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Ok, so the first question is: which Megadeth solos have you looked at? Given that they've had a tonne of different guitarists saying "Megadeth" really doesn't narrow it down very much so without knowing that any advise you get will just be incredibly generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Racaycah

As far as I've learned in my "shredding journey", you really have to practice. But I don't mean the same thing everyone does. Don't have a practice routine like "2 hours of sweep now,starting from 80 bpm, going 10 bpm up after 10 mins of practice...". Just play whatever you want and try to break down certain techniques from your favourite songs. Being a thrash metal fan myself, I use Metallice to improve my downpicking per say, or take some famous Marty-produced Megadeth songs like Hangar 18 or Tornado Of Souls. Those two works wonders for vibratos and sweeps.
Or better yet, you wanna shred? Get any tab you can from Jason Becker or Cacophony. Combined with some Guthrie Govan stuff, you should have a lot to work on. Choose some favourite songs that you'll enjoy playing slowly(practising) and you will be enjoying playing your guitar as well as getting up to the kicka** shredder level.
Racaycah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

From experience I've learned that shredding doesn't come if you force it. Sure you can specifically practice to improve your speed, but it still takes a long long time. Speed is a product of accuracy. You say you've only been playing a few years, well that's still a very short time in the grand scheme of things. You really shouldn't worry so much about playing fast because it will come with time, and "shredding" in the traditional sense wont help you musically.. Learn things that will help you develop as a musician and learn that there is a time and place for shredding. Shredding is not the be all and end all of guitar. It's weird that so many early guitarists worry soooo much about speed (i did it myself), but eventually you'll learn that playing fast really doesn't matter and that there are much more important things to focus on.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Asmithe
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, so the first question is: which Megadeth solos have you looked at? Given that they've had a tonne of different guitarists saying "Megadeth" really doesn't narrow it down very much so without knowing that any advise you get will just be incredibly generic.

My Last Words, Holy Wars, just about every solo is some kind of shred.
Asmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmithe

Well, a part of doing these solo's is getting used to the players style. So if you want to play some insane Friedman solo's, your best bet is to start working on some less insane Friedman solo's. And if you want to play some insane Mustaine solo's, your best bet is to start working on some less insane Mustaine solo's.

As for advice: Make sure your technique is correct, make sure you're relaxed when playing, and last but not least: don't rush things. You don't learn stuff like this in a few months time.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmithe

Megadeth have had 8 different guitarists, not including Megadave himself, "some kind of shred" is not very specific.

Pick a solo, figure out what makes it the way it is and practice it properly: slow, relaxed, small movements.

Even in those two songs you named Chris Poland, Marty Friedman and Megadave all have solos and all of them sound vastly different and require quite different things of the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

^Megadave lol^

And to add on Zaphod, while all of those players have their own unique style, they all have solo's that are difficult and not so difficult. For example, for Friedman you could start with A tout le monde, then maybe Youthanasia or Lucretia, etcetera. Start easy, work your way up.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
drop1337

Find exercises on Youtube for left hand strength/speed and exercises for speed/syncing the left and right hand. And, practice...It takes time.
drop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
sweetdude3000

1. Find Megadeth solo you want to play on YouTube.
2. Follow lesson slowly and work each phrase in pieces
3. When you encounter a technical difficulty, iron it out.
4. If you still can't play it up to speed, chances are your technique needs work. Given time and work you will eventually nail it down.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Also, if you ever feel insecure about a certain technique or whatnot, post a video of yourself playing and we might be able to pick some stuff out.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
BlindRabbit
Banned

My advice: forget shredding and learn how to play guitar. Shredding is the "musical" equivalent of competitive eating - most people find it revolting and disturbing AND yet there are still those who would spend years practising this contortion act. Why?
BlindRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
nesrab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRabbit
My advice: forget shredding and learn how to play guitar. Shredding is the "musical" equivalent of competitive eating - most people find it revolting and disturbing AND yet there are still those who would spend years practising this contortion act. Why?

Wise words Blind Rabbit.
nesrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: