Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
hardcore81
licensed douchebag

syncing my right hand with my left

for as long as i've been playing guitar i've always been a really strong rhythm player. i'm right hand dominant and have a good sense of timing from years of drumming so my picking is always on however during solos my playing starts to fall apart. i can do pentatonic leads with a few seconds and sixths thrown in here and there but have always had a hard time shredding due to that discrepancy between my picking hand and my fingers.

other than repetition repetition repetition with running scales faster and faster, does anyone know of some other good exercises that help bring your hands more in sync with each other while soloing?

My band's Facebook

My band's Bandcamp

My band's Youtube

My Youtube channel

My doom project
hardcore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
LittleRecording

I guess there is always of what genre music you play.

However for me, and keep in mind I am fully self-thought, so I might be right, or I might be complete and horribly wrong.

I found the best way, is of course to practice over and over, but for me, I got a lot of scales and note under my skin, to a level where I few when i play, more of talking.

So the scales and things I practice, rather than becoming pillars to follow, are more guidelines for the "ou shit moments". And the reason is that, I try to keep my head out of it, and go by feeling, and get used to catching that feeling when you play.

Simple rule, is if you think it is right and sounds good, it probably is, cause ears dont lie.

But that is why you need to practice over and over again and listen to a lot of different music, to have that color palette in your head to refer to.

Again, I learned everything myself, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Hope it makes sense what I say and helps out, if this is not the answer you were looking for, sorry for wasting your time.
-------------
LittleRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

As always, the answer is slow down.

If you can't keep your hands in sync slowly you'll never manage it at high speed. You need to train your hands to work together, ensuring you fret and pick at the same time. The mor accurate you get and the more control you have over your hands the faster you'll be able to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
se012101

Well, you're in a good position because your timing is good from all the rhythm playing. One of the main reasons for synch troubles is bad timing. If your timing is fluctuating, then your fretting hand has a moving target to lock on to. Since this is not a problem for you, then you should make pretty fast progress.

First, as Steven/Mark says, slow it down. Focus on getting everything you play lead-wise to flow and sound good, at whatever speed you need to slow it down to in order to accomplish this.

Practicing some short repeating licks can be very helpful - you don't want too much in there: just a quick 8 or 12 note little lick that you can lock on to, and repeat a bunch of times once you've found that sync.

One thing that is fantastic practice is taking a lick that you are familar with and playing it with different note groupings. For example, if something is straight 16ths, try playing it in 8th note triplets or 16th note triplets. Focus on your accents, so you really get that feel.

Also, any licks you can find that are "confusing" to your fingers. Slowing those down and getting them straightened out while improve your fretting hand co-ordination, which will improve your sync.

Once you are making some good progress in one position, start incorporating licks that involve position shifts. It's easy to loose your sync when executing a position shift, especially in the middle of a group of notes.

Hope all of this helps. And not to beat a dead horse, but do all of this slow enough to execute it cleanly and with confidence. You'll be able to start increasing the speed once the foundation is there.
se012101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
As always, the answer is slow down.

If you can't keep your hands in sync slowly you'll never manage it at high speed. You need to train your hands to work together, ensuring you fret and pick at the same time. The mor accurate you get and the more control you have over your hands the faster you'll be able to play.

this, it took me a few years to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
hansome21

You could always use 2 hand synchronizing techniques to warm up. So that way by the time you are warmed up, you should feel a bit more coordinated and it should get better and better if you keep at it.

I would recommend something on two strings that uses a lot of fingers. I would do some simple finger exercises (these are for coordination so the numbers are your fingers, the frets don't matter):

1 - 2 - 4
1 - 3 - 4

Or if you prefer the pentatonic something like:

1 - 3
1 - 4

Play either of those at a controlled speed and make them as articulate as possible. The 1-2-3 to 1-2-4 exercise helped my finger independence and coordination greatly. Also will strengthen your pinky, as well.
hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Dreamdancer11

Unsynced hands mean one thing:Υou try to play faster than your current ability.Slow down enough to play perfectly.Speed ll come eventually but if you are trying the old-going all out and then trying to sync it or clean it- it wont work.Play as fast as you can play perfect(which usually is quite slow) and you wont have any syncing issues ever again.

Rate This Thread: