Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Guitarplayer452

Question Do you have this Bad Habit?

I nearly all the time not breathe while playing guitar which makes me lose stamina lol does anyone else do this or is it just me ?
Guitarplayer452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
SoldierOfBodom

I don't struggle with that but in a couple of recordings I made of myself playing covers, I notice that I tend to either a) lean over the front of the guitar and look like a tool or b) open my mouth wide in concentration and occasionally my tongue pops out. Then when I realize whilst playing, I **** up whatever I'm doing. Very annoying as it always happens in complicated bits or repetitive bits.
SoldierOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Guitarplayer452

I sometime move my mouth according to the song im playin lol even if it an instrumental
Guitarplayer452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
shawnkenneth
UG's Favorite Trollbait

I clench my teeth a little when doing tough stuff. And my audience pointed out some weird expressions .. But I've never held my breath.

You need to relax bro! Relax and enjoy what you're playing. Don't tense up so much..
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.
shawnkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer452
I nearly all the time not breathe while playing guitar which makes me lose stamina lol does anyone else do this or is it just me ?

I can guarantee that you're not the only person who does it but most people don't seem to realise that playing guitar is much more holistic than you might expect; your whole body has to be relaxed to really play well.

I would suggest more live playing to be honest, you can't really put on a good show if you're holding your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnkenneth
I clench my teeth a little when doing tough stuff.

Also something to watch out for really, it's all too easy for tension to creep in to the rest of your body if it starts building up anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 01-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
mattjamesrenn

Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnkenneth
I clench my teeth a little when doing tough stuff. And my audience pointed out some weird expressions .. But I've never held my breath.

You need to relax bro! Relax and enjoy what you're playing. Don't tense up so much..

I have been told that if you relax you jaw then the rest of your body will relax with it.
Not sure if it's entirely true but worth a try
mattjamesrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Cing Krimson
Pesto Priest

I don't think I do this as much now but I used to move my mouth quite a lot, especially with the Wah pedal I did the same mouth movements as the sound 😄
Cing Krimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
shawnkenneth
UG's Favorite Trollbait

Quote:
Also something to watch out for really, it's all too easy for tension to creep in to the rest of your body if it starts building up anywhere.

Yeah, I know. I immediately studied my problem. But I do it very rarely. You know, in those very intense moments. When I'm really enjoying myself

I guess, full composure will only come with experience. Only when you know your stuff inside-out and backwards, and you can play it with your eyes closed, will you be able to relax completely on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cing Krimson
I don't think I do this as much now but I used to move my mouth quite a lot, especially with the Wah pedal I did the same mouth movements as the sound 😄

Almost everyone does that. Or atleast feel like doing it. I think it's just our unconscious connection to the music.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Last edited by shawnkenneth : 01-15-2014 at 02:06 AM.
shawnkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer452
I sometime move my mouth according to the song im playin lol even if it an instrumental

Yep have this as well. I have no idea what's going on or why, it's not even mouthing the words or anything (I usually never know the lyrics) but follows the rhythm or melody somewhat. Right hand pinky is also sticking out straight for some reason yet I'm not anchoring, it just does. Also more or less constantly frowning, which is unneeded tension probably.
I suggest people who haven't yet to record themselves practicing or playing to figure out weird subconscious stuff you do
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: