Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
MoopMonster

Mixed single and multiple notes on Ajacent and skipped strings. (Metal)

Ok so I haven't found anywhere with a good solution to my problem yet so hopefully some of you guy's can help me out!

I can do both Economy and alternate picking with relatively fast speeds and cleanly, I can sweep pick like a beast \m/, sweep tap, and do 3 or 4 note shreds pretty decently. My left hand is not an issue, but my problem is when I have to jump to other strings with single notes with the Right. (not in triplets or doubles) For instance I can do 2 or 3 notes on the E, then do 2 or 3 on the A, and back to the E or to the D. But, when I have to do single notes like 1 note on E then A, then back to E then A and so forth (very simple I know) or E and D and back and forth, just 1 note, I always seem to be confused on weather to do an upstroke into a down stroke, or a down stroke into an upstroke on each string? It seems like going from up stroke on the Lower (higher gauge) string to down stroke on the Higher string would be the most efficient but it feels somewhat unnatural. This same issue applies on Riffs that use things like 2 notes E, 1 note D or G and repeat (lots of metal songs use these patterns) and interestingly (to me) I can do triplets into single notes on other strings just fine.
I have no problem doing it very slowly (Obviously) but as soon as the speed picks up my right hand gets confused and either hits wrong strings or misses them entirely, doesn't mute enough, or mutes too much. I've also noticed that when playing it slowly I tend to lift my wrist to skip the string, but when playing much faster I can't really lift my wrist to hit the notes fast enough and the lifting negates any palm muting. Anyway I know it's a really complex and probably somewhat personal issue, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated (also sorry for the long post but I wanted the issue to not be misunderstood.) Thanks in Advance! Also I hold the pick between the crest of the thumb and the index at a fairly right angle to the strings, other 3 fingers usually out not touching the body of the guitar, and use mostly my wrist to pick, and elbow to change strings.
MoopMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
MoopMonster

Also if it helps as a reference, I find a lot of the techniques used by In Flames, Insomnium, and Kalmah very difficult to play for this reason.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
darkenedheart55

i have the same problem i dont know if i would use economy picking or not

but i find easier to make a downstroke when i skip from a higher string to a lower string
like this
Code:
E-------------------------------------- B-------------------------------------- G-8-------8----------------------------- D----7-------7------------------------- A-------8-------8----------------------- E---------------------------------------

i would use a down-up-down down-up-down

and NOT down-up-up down-up-up

Code:
E-------------------------------------- B-------------------------------------- G--------------------------------------- D----7----7---7----7-------------------- A-------8----8---8----8------------------ E---------------------------------------

and here if the A string is with palm mute i would use all downstroke

else i would use down-down-up-down-up-down (economy picking)

i dont know if i should change pick angle

Last edited by darkenedheart55 : 01-17-2014 at 08:09 PM.
darkenedheart55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Any way you can show us the problem? That would really help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

for alternating single notes on different strings, i always found outside picking to be easiest. i.e. the opposite of what you described, if i understood correctly.

----u---u----u-----------
--d---d---d--------

you should be able to do it with minimal hand/finger movement. the palm muted on the lower string is more like a drop of the palm than a full-on picking motion.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!

Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE : 01-17-2014 at 08:46 PM.
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Any way you can show us the problem? That would really help...

At least tab examples(with #code pls)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
MoopMonster

Well vIsIbleNoIsE #5 is one example, as well as the same pattern but skipping a string or 2.

for instance here is a thing I have trouble playing at speed (kalmah)
Quote:
G-------------2-------4------5----
D----------------------------------
A --2------------------------------
E --0-----0-0----0-0----0-0-------

Quote:
D------4-----4-----4-----4----4
A--55----55----55----55---55--

Or (in flames)
Quote:
D----------------------7---9----7h9p7----
A--2----7---9---10-------------------10
E--0--0---0---0----0---0---0-----------

Quote:
G-----10---12---14----10---12---14
D---0----0----0----00----0-----0---

(These are all single notes, no chords)

The big issue is that on the string skips (and sometimes not) I either miss the string or hit other strings, because I cant lift my wrist to "jump" at those tempos, or the muting is way off, (Low note sounds over the high ones), or with the example on #5 with just 1 note per string on adjacent strings, It's very difficult to get the notes to sound seperately when picking either D-U-D-U or U-D-U-D at speed. I guess the sort of answer I'd be looking for is either a specific palm muting technique, a picking technique, or exercise or whatever, that I could try to improve this area.

Last edited by MoopMonster : 01-18-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
MoopMonster

Also I don't know how to use the code function so help there would be nice too ;-)
Using all downstrokes isn't an option because of the speed, but, that definitely helps with the muting.

EDIT:
The replies so far have been great I've been trying out some of the different methods, But anything you guy's can add or recommend at all is very very much appreciated I've been struggling with this for like 2 or 3 years and have been avoiding it, Thank You so much!!!

Last edited by MoopMonster : 01-18-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
fanapathy
B-Tuned

^I mean high speed double string skip if you're gonna be in 16ths...you sure the band plays it like that? One thing metal/rock bands do if pedaling the low E or open strings in general, they can access whatever notes higher on the fretboard on several strings. Like if you're gonna do 16th gallops and skip 2-3 strings you're really in trouble at 180bpm unless you're extremely good. Tabbers gonna tab weird sometimes, tone matters, but usually you're not gonna write the riff like that (if you're the composer).
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoopMonster
Also I don't know how to use the code function so help there would be nice too ;-)

Write your tab example in , say notepad, copy, write post on ug and press the code button #, paste.

Quote:
Using all downstrokes isn't an option because of the speed, but, that definitely helps with the muting.

Are you sure your maximum downpicking speed needs no work? The in flames examples looked like typical downpicking riffs to me, don't know the songs and the actual speed though.

The first 2 examples I would rearrange the fingering as fanapathy suggested, tabs are of mixed quality. For example maybe using open A string in the 2. example or moving the notes in the 1. example from the G string to D or even A string if the sound allows it.

Whenever downpicking isn't an option I use strict alternate picking with very few exceptions.

Last edited by Facecut : 01-18-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Facecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
The big issue is that on the string skips (and sometimes not) I either miss the string or hit other strings, because I cant lift my wrist to "jump" at those tempos, or the muting is way off,

maybe you're jumping too much. you can palm mute such that only the lowest string is really being palm muted. you barely have to lift your palm for the higher notes.

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtG...detailpage#t=29
see how little they're moving their hands?

in my opinion i think it's important to work on both being able to play this kind of riff with alternate picking as well as all downpicking.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
MoopMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
^I mean high speed double string skip if you're gonna be in 16ths...you sure the band plays it like that? One thing metal/rock bands do if pedaling the low E or open strings in general, they can access whatever notes higher on the fretboard on several strings. Like if you're gonna do 16th gallops and skip 2-3 strings you're really in trouble at 180bpm unless you're extremely good. Tabbers gonna tab weird sometimes, tone matters, but usually you're not gonna write the riff like that (if you're the composer).

Yeah, Im sure about that tab because the notes that immediately follow are on the first few frets of the E, That is a very good point though, changing positions will probably help a lot on most 2-3 string skips. The song plays at 210bpm.

Quote:
Are you sure your maximum downpicking speed needs no work? The in flames examples looked like typical downpicking riffs to me, don't know the songs and the actual speed though.

Yes, ones from "Take this life" 250 bpm, and the other from "Crawl through Knives" 210bpm, both are played very fast. But, for sure, working on just down strokes will most likely help, as well as just up strokes for that matter. And thanks for the Code Info, I'll write all my tabs like that from now on.

Quote:
maybe you're jumping too much. you can palm mute such that only the lowest string is really being palm muted. you barely have to lift your palm for the higher notes.

Yeah this is a very good point, I should work on minimal jumping and minimal muting, I guess I'll need to start off again very slowly and work on refining the technique. And that example video is very good too, helps me to see that I don't need to go as "hard" as I usually do.

Thanks for the help everyone! like I said it's all very much appreciated.

Last edited by MoopMonster : 01-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Facecut
Vorsitzender

I just played through crawl through knives and in that case I downpick the licks you asked about. I would call it 105 bpm btw. Cool song, fun to do.
But you can make it an exercise and do it with alternate picking. In that case I would practice both ways starting with an upstroke or downstroke. I like inside the string better most of the time as I like the accented notes on a downstroke but you should be able to do both as many of these licks don't stay in the pattern.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
MoopMonster

Yeah your right on Crawl through knives, I just tried, and I can pull that one off with just down strokes, Barely, so I'm definitely gonna work on that (Yes it is a very cool song). Also I think I can finish this thread out now, at Least for me. It seems I just need to practice a hell of a lot more to do the faster ones, and Ive also found that inside picking definitely works best for me.

Code:
D--------------------------3d A-------3d----3d------------- E---1u----1u-----1u-----1u---

And economy picking for the 2 note to 1 note ones.

Code:
D-----------------------3d------ A----------3d------------------- E---1u-1d------1u-1d------------

I also need to slow down and use a metronome more then I do. I also hope this thread helped some other people clarify the issue for themselves. Thanks again, your all a bunch of ****ing saints.

Last edited by MoopMonster : 01-19-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #16
brandon2784
UG's Oli Herbert wannabe

Quote:
Well vIsIbleNoIsE #5 is one example, as well as the same pattern but skipping a string or 2.

Or (in flames)

(These are all single notes, no chords)

The big issue is that on the string skips (and sometimes not) I either miss the string or hit other strings, because I cant lift my wrist to "jump" at those tempos, or the muting is way off, (Low note sounds over the high ones), or with the example on #5 with just 1 note per string on adjacent strings, It's very difficult to get the notes to sound seperately when picking either D-U-D-U or U-D-U-D at speed. I guess the sort of answer I'd be looking for is either a specific palm muting technique, a picking technique, or exercise or whatever, that I could try to improve this area.

Try two down strokes followed by one up stroke for those with two pms on the low string before skipping. That's how i do those, if you work at it you can get up around 220 8ths no prob. As for the take this life just use outside alternate picking, shouldn't be to hard.

-Emil Werstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

brandon2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #17
MaaZeus

Quote:

I do not know the song so I may not be aware of what is the optimal finger position that allows easy change to another section, but whenever there is a part that requires big jumps from string to another or racing up and down the neck like a maniac I try to figure out other ways to play it that may be more economical.

For example, instead of playing 2, 4 and 5 on G string what about 7, 9 and 10 on D string? Just having to jump one less string is a tremendous help for your picking hand but does it screw up your fretting finger positioning for the rest of the riff?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
DrRockz0

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR STRING SKIPPING.

The position of your thumb on the back of the neck is KEY for your string skipping stretches.
the greatest example of this i can think of is Chris broderick (ex nevermore+ megadeth)
he has stunning technique when it comes to hand position when making the stretches. i cant find a video of it atm but most classical guitar players will know what i mean. Watch some vidoes of him doing it and pay attention youll learn something
DrRockz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRockz0
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR STRING SKIPPING.

The position of your thumb on the back of the neck is KEY for your string skipping stretches.
the greatest example of this i can think of is Chris broderick (ex nevermore+ megadeth)
he has stunning technique when it comes to hand position when making the stretches. i cant find a video of it atm but most classical guitar players will know what i mean. Watch some vidoes of him doing it and pay attention youll learn something

... Did you actually read the thread at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
DrRockz0

yes and when you play this stuff your thumb anchors it am i wrong or missing something? hand position for 3 strings like that is killer important especially when making the jumps at higher speeds. i do it every day.
DrRockz0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: