Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Ximich
UG Developer

Tab's improving

We try to make our web site better for our users. Please reply on few short questions:
1. Do you satisfied with the quality of our tabs?
2. We have a lot of versions of one tab and are you intetested in it? Or do you need some more versions or may be division of this versions by complexity or some other options?

If you have some comments or suggestions for our tabs please feel free to tell us about it.

Last edited by Ximich : 01-30-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Ximich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
SGstriker
Someone will die...

I like having multiple versions of tabs. Even the ones that aren't 100% accurate are useful as guidelines.
In short, I love the way the tabs are setup now.
Plus, the not so accurate ones have always helped me develop my ear training because I have to physically sit down and listen and play over and over to figure out the correct notes.

Seattle Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Last edited by SGstriker : 01-27-2014 at 05:40 AM.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
the bartender
Biologist

I do satisfied.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Multiple versions of a tab are fine, so long as there aren't multiple versions of an identical tab.

So long as the different versions cover alternative positions of the same thing, they can be useful for viewing and working out how you're most comfortable playing a part.

Even if there are slight mistakes, like SGstriker said they are useful guidelines. Personally I never follow a tab 100% anyway - I look at a few of the available tabs to get an idea what I need to play, then use that as a starting point to actually work a song out by ear. I never actually learn from a tab note for note.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
UltimateGuizar
user title pending.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
I do satisfied.

I really, really do.
UltimateGuizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Same as what above has said.

Often I can't find the tab to the song I want though cause the band/song isn't as well known as others. Suppose you can't do anything about that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
jekylhyde

This is a developers nightmare kind of an answer, but I think everything is great as it is.
jekylhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximich
We try to make our web site better for our users. Please reply on few short questions:
2. We have a lot of versions of one tab and are you intetested in it? Or do you need some more versions or may be division of this versions by complexity or some other options?

If you have some comments or suggestions for our tabs please feel free to tell us about it.

Yes and no.
I find a lot of tabs are wrong(even if it's just a note or two, it matters), and it almost seems like tabs with multiple versions are just copies of one tab(regardless of if it's wrong) with maybe a change or two instead of something new or different.
really evident when a song has 3+ tabs all with the same mistakes.

that being said I find most tabs to be really helpful, especially when I'm having a problem learning a riff on my own. And even more so with songs that have multiple tab versions as they probably all do something different and it's nice to figure out which way you find most comfortable so easily

I think though if I were to improve the tabs in any way, I'd make it so there couldn't be multiple versions of the exact same tab. if there's going to be a version 2 or 3, It should be done significantly different or fix the mistakes in a different one(at which point the wrong tab should be removed), or offer a different way to play the song all together.

EDIT: I also think you should be able to flag a tab as 'incorrect' or something and be able to submit a correction to it which would get reviewed and then either implemented to the original tab or rejected.
Would cut down on a lot of the alternate tabs that are just corrections or better versions of another
EDIT2: and maybe even have a log of corrections that have been made on a tab that people can see if they want to so the original posters work is never undermined. It will still be there in its original glory, but the main tab people will see will be the one with corrections

Last edited by Obsceneairwaves : 01-27-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Obsceneairwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
beatreebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsceneairwaves
Yes and no.
I find a lot of tabs are wrong(even if it's just a note or two, it matters), and it almost seems like tabs with multiple versions are just copies of one tab(regardless of if it's wrong) with maybe a change or two instead of something new or different.

that being said I find most tabs to be really helpful, especially when I'm having a problem learning a riff on my own. And even more so with songs that have multiple tab versions as they probably all do something different and it's nice to figure out which way you find most comfortable so easily

I think though if I were to improve the tabs in any way, I'd make it so there couldn't be multiple versions of the exact same tab. if there's going to be a version 2 or 3, It should be done significantly different or fix the mistakes in a different one(at which point the wrong tab should be removed), or offer a different way to play the song all together.

EDIT: I also think you should be able to flag a tab as 'incorrect' or something and be able to submit a correction to it which would get reviewed and then either implemented to the original tab or rejected.
Would cut down on a lot of the alternate tabs that are just corrections or better versions of another
EDIT2: and maybe even have a log of corrections that have been made on a tab that people can see if they want to so the original posters work is never undermined. It will still be there in its original glory, but the main tab people will see will be the one with corrections

Agreed.
beatreebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
SGstriker
Someone will die...

Quote:
Yes and no.

Not disagreed

Seattle Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Yes and no.

Somewhat 'greed

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
mulefish
UG Addict

I agree with Obsceneairwaves.
I also think that with guitar pro tabs (and the other similar platforms) it would be useful if in the tab browsing windows there was a column for which instruments are notated for. It would have to be stripped back to just broad icons signifying the instruments to save space, but it would be a useful feature imo. Sometimes I'm looking for a bass part and keep only finding guitar pro files for guitar only for example. It would save time if I was just able to glance at what instruments were in the tab in the tab browsing section.

Hope that makes sense
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Basti95
the online version

There's very little to fault tbh. It's good to have various interpretations of a song since it encourages you to listen to it and decide which version sounds right, or indeed work out your own little corrections
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulefish
I agree with Obsceneairwaves.
I also think that with guitar pro tabs (and the other similar platforms) it would be useful if in the tab browsing windows there was a column for which instruments are notated for. It would have to be stripped back to just broad icons signifying the instruments to save space, but it would be a useful feature imo. Sometimes I'm looking for a bass part and keep only finding guitar pro files for guitar only for example. It would save time if I was just able to glance at what instruments were in the tab in the tab browsing section.

Hope that makes sense

+1 to this. I use them for backing tracks when practicing, so being able to pick the one that has drums included without the current trial & error would be a big bonus.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
henrihell

Make the "difficulty" and "tuning" options mandatory. It really bothers me when I search for a tab and would like a song in the same tuning as my guitar, and then I have to check through every single tab to find one.
For example slipknot has a lot of stuff in Drop B and some in drop A, so when I search for slipknot with the intention of playing in A, I can't just select Drop A in the advanced search, because that would leave out like 75% of the songs in that tuning, but without that option selected, most tabs would be drop B. I get really frustrated by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
JamSessionFreak
Brodo Faggins

1. I do, honestly.

show

2. Well, I think it's a positive thing. It offers some sort of diversity and if you find a certain part in one tab lacking you can see if the other tabs did a better job at that part. And if you don't need that there's almost always one tab out of the selection that dominates in the ratings department - pick that one and you're good to go.

Snot is running down my nose --
greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

( ̄(エ) ̄)
JamSessionFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
badfish_lewis

1. Mostly

2. I like having a bit of variety in the tabs because they are rarely 100% accurate so it's good to be able to reference another tab.

Get rid of 1-2 star rated tabs unless they are the only submission for that song.
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximich

Even if I weren't, it's not entirely the fault of UG but of the tabbers, But overall, UG has a great amount of quality tabs, and I don't care too much about the bad ones, because a lot of them are of untabbed songs, and could serve as a guideline for new tabs. Optimism!

Quote:

Perhaps keep all the versions of the tabs but make them available through a separate page? Or just put links to the other versions at the top of the highest-rated version? Take suggestions on best versions of certain tabs from the UG community?

I personally think the tab part of this site is fine, and any improvement needed is relatively minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulefish
I also think that with guitar pro tabs blah blah blah i did read the rest

Actually, I think what we need more for GP tabs is something to tell users what version of GP they'll need, since it so many users have yet to make the leap to GP6.

Maybe a better screening system for duplicate tabs? I see tons of them in the approval queue when I check.

Last edited by travislausch : 01-27-2014 at 10:34 AM.
travislausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
NemX162

I would like to see more rigorously enforced standards on tab format at flow. It should be a rule to put at least one '-' between numbers, especially for two digit numbers. There should never be a need to clarify, "These are 11's not 1's..." Layout of sections in tabs should be standardized. If a song has discrete parts, it should be labeled as sections: chorus, verse, fill ... It would even be cool to see links in tabs that let you quickly jump to that part of the song, perhaps a floating link on the title bar. This way, if you are playing along and need to get back to the chorus quickly, you can click "chorus" to make it jump there.

Overall, I think if there were more standards to the form of the tabs, it would enable future additions of features. If the page designer knows what kind of content to expect in the tab box, they can easily write robust and helpful functionality around it. It would also make it less of a pain to read. No more tabs that are a large, unlabeled page of repeating parts with numbers squeezed together on one line.

P.S. Standardize the symbols used for things.
NemX162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

The only thing I've noticed that I'd like improved is in the advanced search. I love the "Get random" feature, but you can only choose one aspect of the tab. If I want specifically a Guitar Pro tab, I can't choose the tuning for instance.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: