Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #61
Joshua Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colohue
Quality control has always been the number one problem with this website. Too much crap gets through and somehow maintains positive voting.
Exactly what I mentioned earlier. We need more active people in the TPA to prevent this in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea55
How bout you and your weebo ass go away?
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #62
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

I'd like it if the Guitar Pro tabs were converted to GP3 or GP4. Don't wanna upgrade my GP5 to 6 and some GP5 tabs don't work for me.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #63
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I'm unsatisfied with the amount of tabs that have been removed. Behind that I'm unsatisfied with the amount of tabs that have broken download links.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #64
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I'm not a fan of many versions for a tab. It just feels kind of clunky. I like the idea of having multiple tabs for multiple difficulties though.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #65
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
I'd like it if the Guitar Pro tabs were converted to GP3 or GP4. Don't wanna upgrade my GP5 to 6 and some GP5 tabs don't work for me.

You need to upgrade your 5 to 5.2. The files don't specify which one they were made in with the extension obviously, but this is why some GP5s don't work for you.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #66
mystical_1
**** it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviec
Something I would like is a backing track to play over alongside the tab so it saves me having to go find one.

This would be great. Backing Track audio contributors.

"If you would like to hear a backing track for this song, click here."

Great idea.

If i'm not mistaken, tabs aren't supposed to be a hundred percent anyway, or they would be the actual songs and then have to be removed. I'd be for including video but I developed my ear by going through the tabs and figuring out what was right and what wasn't. And when in doubt, there was usually corrections in the comments sections of the tab or Tab Talk. I just feel this is more of a learning site than a giving it all on a silver platter to someone place.

I've learned all I know about guitar on UG, the hard way, and wouldn't have done it any differently, again. I wasn't born with a natural ear for music, I learned it here. I love this place. Thank you.

mystical_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #67
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
I'm not a fan of many versions for a tab. It just feels kind of clunky. I like the idea of having multiple tabs for multiple difficulties though.

I'm not sure if you can just call it different "difficulties".

I mean, yes, if you want to play a tab, you have a certain skill level, and you want the tab to match that skill level (or the skill level you want).
But...how do you define that? And more importantly, how does the tab viewer know that?
How does the tab viewer know he WANTS the "low difficulty" tab, or the "medium difficulty" one? Isn't it kind of arbitrary?

Also there are songs, that I guess have a single difficulty? I.e you can't tab in a different way?

And would these different "difficulties" only be for specific ways of playing it? Would they be for acoustic guitar alone, or electric guitar alone, or the whole song with drums and all, or maybe the bass alone?
Would it need to be arranged differently to change in "difficulty"?

I get what you mean though, but I think there can be another rating other than "difficulty" to have these different versions.
Seems to me the difficulty rating is not for different versions of the same tab, but to compare between tabs of different songs.
Ideally, different tabs of the same song would have the same difficulty level wouldn't they?
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #68
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
I'm unsatisfied with the amount of tabs that have been removed.

This. I don't see how publishers can have a right to our own tabs. I know it's a burden to deal with possible litigation even if UG is clearly in the right though.

Otherwise I am pretty satisfied with the site. It's a community effort and I think the majority of the tabs are quite good, or are corrected and end up being so.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #69
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealUnrealRob
This. I don't see how publishers can have a right to our own tabs. I know it's a burden to deal with possible litigation even if UG is clearly in the right though.

Keep in mind that UG already pays a foundation to deal with royalties.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #70
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
Thanks for all the responses so far. Let me do a round up:

1. There is a needs for meta data (strumming, key, time signature, techniques - in the order of importance)

2. There is no problem with the tabs' quality, except that:
a. we need to clean out 1,2 rated tabs
b. or tabs that being reported as 'inaccurate'

3. There is some problem with the tabs' format: we need better defined rules on how to properly format tabs*

* When I say tabs I mean both tabs and chords

Is it correct? Did I miss anything?

-I agree with other users here that tabs need to be cleaned out and there should be a global max # of tabs (4?). Many popular songs have over 10 versions and typically only a couple of them are good, usually a handful of them are duplicates with very small corrections (and the same recurring errors because they didn't actually re-transcribe the whole song).

-The meta data is a great idea, it would be very cool to select such filters - but it should be optional to submit. Not all tabbers know what key/signature a song is in (hi), and a ton of 12/8, 6/8, 6/4 songs are tabbed in 4/4 (which typically isn't a huge deal).

-Add missing tunings, 7-8 strings and thick gauges are getting kind of normal now so tunings range from pretty much from F-E.

-Song difficulty was mentioned. I usually don't set one myself because there are so many levels on the guitar journey and this is so arbitrary, typically a good player will list a song as easier than it is and a beginner will do the opposite. I'll suggest adding more levels, something like Novice->Beginner->Experienced->Intermediate->Advanced->Expert - or simplified to Intermediate+/- and so on

-As for youtube embedding - throwing a broad idea out there where a tabber can embed a video tutorial with his tab, explaining certain riffs or fingering for tricky parts etc.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
(...)
I get what you mean though, but I think there can be another rating other than "difficulty" to have these different versions.
Seems to me the difficulty rating is not for different versions of the same tab, but to compare between tabs of different songs.
Ideally, different tabs of the same song would have the same difficulty level wouldn't they?

I interpreted this as having difficulty levels where the tab is actually arranged for the given skill level. For those who played games like Guitar Hero or Rocksmith, - on beginner levels, notes would be cut out or simplified - for example for a solo that's in 16th notes you'd play only quarters, for chords you'd only play the root note - and so on. I don't see this happening with real tabs because it requires re-arranging the whole thing, and this can be done to suit the users' preferences by themselves if they somehow want to.

Last edited by fanapathy : 02-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #71
xxxxChrisTxxxx

I think cutting down on the number of tab versions is a good idea but I have found some low rated tabs actually contain some accurate info not in the higher rated ones which would have been lost if all the 1-2 start tabs were removed without some kind of checks done.
xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #72
xxxxChrisTxxxx

And how about doing away with the 'intro' option - so many intros I've seen on the TPA page are little more than a few of notes.
Or at least only credit the submitter with one point for them as it doesn't seem right they get the same points as someone who's taken ages to do a full tab.
xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #73
ahshayah

Hey! Great upgrade! I think it would be really helpful if we could search an artist using the app.
there are some artists that are really hard to find on the app beacuase their name fits into alot of songs/other artists name.
Thanks a lot.
Shay
ahshayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #74
davidecaparini

very good :-)
davidecaparini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #75
michaelyisrael

I would like to point out there are a bunch of wrong rating songs chords. The accuracy obtained in nowadays is super great. People do research, they want the real stuff, of course each one of us have the right to publish his/her own version or interpretation of the song. But then again there are many would like to get the precise notes to play.
michaelyisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #76
reedoo

there really should be an option to delete your own tabs!
reedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #77
AngrodOronar
Jesus saves

there really should be an option to delete your own tabs! [2]

and to correct its titles, this page doesn't let you to use special characters
Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #78
Hyouakim

Cant change the tuning on the tab
Hyouakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #79
DarthTyrannus83

One major problem i see with UG concerns the guitar pro tabs. Specifically, it would be nice to be able to upload both GP5 and GP6 versions of tabs, or have UG automatically convert gp6 to 5 and offer both versions in the tab page, with a respective warning that a converted version might have some mistakes due to unsupported software features.

Its great to see the tab update system has finally moved on from being vote-based, cause theres usually a need for a lot of minor fixes after uploading a tab, and having to go through the voting anew used to be a pain, so great job with removing that.

Please include a link to the main song page when viewing a particular tab, not only just other versions of the same type of tab, eg: when viewing a guitar pro tab page, it would only link to other guitar pro versions, not all versions in general, which is really annoying when trying to quickly compare them, the only other way around being having to search for the song again or go to the band page and scroll to find the song.

Also, get more tunings in the list when uploading a pro tab and an option for 7/8 string guitars. Pro tabs also need to have tab description/info on the tab page for quick reference, i know theres an info window supported inside the tab, but its inconvenient and not everyone bothers to check it.

Im kinda wary about collaborative editing, since im one of those guys whos really elaborate with his tabs, i only tab in gp with mostly all instruments, i watch lots of live gigs/covers and spend hours a day in Transcribe slowing down/EQ-ing the song to get everything as accurate as possible, then again i still find minor mistakes after i upload the tab, but i correct and update it as soon as possible, so at the end im pretty sure my tabs are 95-99% correct, depending on the difficulty/audibility of the song. With that said it would be a bummer seing my tabs being tampered with, and im pretty sure im not talking only for me here.

I do agree a lot of the songs need major tab revision, i just dont think collaborative editing is the way to go. Maybe implement a time-based due date system, in which a correction request is sent to the tab author and if he fails to respond within, say, a month, only then the community gains the right to make edits?

So, here are my suggestions in a nutshell:

1) Autoconversion of gp6 to gp5 and availability of both versions when uploading a gp6 version for accessibility reasons.
2) Add a link to the main song page with ALL tab versions when viewing a particular tab.
3) More tunings (including 7/8 string) in the list for Pro tab uploads and the addition of info section for Pro tabs.
4) Date-based response system for collaboration correction requests.

Thanks

Last edited by DarthTyrannus83 : 03-24-2014 at 12:33 PM.
DarthTyrannus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #80
Foma'

Awesome! Now I want to revisit all my old tabs and make it better now
Foma' is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: