Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #81
fanapathy
B-Tuned

I agree a lot with DarthTyrannus' post.

Tunings in particular are overdue. Add C# standard and probably A# standard and A (more songs will be in this some time) and more importantly make it possible to mark that your tab is for 7 / 8 string.
When submitting primarily 7 string tab, what do I select? Nothing really applies (Standard tuning? Well, sort of for that instrument, but it will mislead 6stringers. B standard? No.) - same could be said for 5 or 6 string bass. These need tags!

Conversions would be cool, it makes sense that tab pro should be capable of this and also downloading tabs from TP & converted tabs for offline use - since it now reads gpx decently it would also be able to convert to gp5 since it seems being the base. Depends on your deal with GPA probably. Also agree with multiple format tab submission but this is harder to integrate and might demand more from the tabber.

Also how the **** do I level up? I'm at level 3 which I reached at 10 tabs and I have like 40+. I should be at like level 12 imo. Do I evolve when I reach a certain level?

Last edited by fanapathy : 03-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #82
DarthTyrannus83

^The problem with gpx-gp5 conversion is that gp5 doesnt support double dotted notes, n-tuplets and grace notes + bending mechanics are different, all of which results in incorrect/incomplete bars after conversion. Theres some other stuff too, but those are the major problems ive encountered.
DarthTyrannus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #83
Teh D Bot
UG Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Also how the **** do I level up? I'm at level 3 which I reached at 10 tabs and I have like 40+. I should be at like level 12 imo. Do I evolve when I reach a certain level?

There are 4 'levels' which are for the tab approval queue

Level 1 = 1 approved tab; points towards accepting/rejecting tabs = 1
Level 2 = 5 approved tabs; points towards accepting/rejecting tabs = 2
Level 3 = 10 approved tabs; points towards accepting/rejecting tabs = 3
Level 4 = 10 approved tabs of high quality; points towards accepting/rejecting tabs = 5

5 points are required to approve or reject tabs

Level 4 is the old "Trusted Tabber"
and then there are Tab Moderators

And I agree that additional tunings are in fact overdue, including lower tunings and tunings for guitars with an increased amount of strings. Maybe a step towards this would be to compile a list of tunings which need to be added.
Teh D Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #84
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Maybe a step towards this would be to compile a list of tunings which need to be added.

can someone create one? we can implement it pretty quick once we have the list
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #85
DarthTyrannus83

Why not just let us set the tuning string by string like you do in guitar pro for all those custom tunings?

Or at least add an option to set flat/sharp tunings, instead of listing each individual tuning with its flats/sharps.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #86
killergege

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTyrannus83
1) Autoconversion of gp6 to gp5 and availability of both versions when uploading a gp6 version for accessibility reasons.
2) Add a link to the main song page with ALL tab versions when viewing a particular tab.
3) More tunings (including 7/8 string) in the list for Pro tab uploads and the addition of info section for Pro tabs.
4) Date-based response system for collaboration correction requests.

I agree with all except 1). I'm the kind of guy thinking that you should live with your time, GP5 is 9 years old, GP6 is 3 years old... And GP7 will probably be released at the end of this year or next year.
Almost all GP5 files that I open have some conversion issues with GP6 (often workarounds for features that didn't exist in GP5 that now exist like changing the effect chain, or wrong instruments as GP5 didn't really care that you used a guitar on a piano track).
Maybe when GP7 will be released (they said they'll provide MIDI & standard drum tabbing, which is often the main issue that prevent moving to the new version), GP5 will be completely dropped...
But if it's easy, why not convert them, I prefer GP6 converted to GP5 than the reverse.

And I'd love to see the 4). At least allow us to submit new versions of tabs if the current owner doesn't react to corrections. Especially for all those "unregistered" owned tab... By the way please please please force people to be logged in order to submit tabs, anonymous submission is a good way to have poor quality tabs, with issues never fixed and feedback not taken into account.
killergege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #87
DarthTyrannus83

^Im actually all for moving to gpx, but for some reason the overwhelming majority of people prefer gp5, i wonder do they even bother converting gpx to gp5 when encountering a gpx tab. And i only meant that gpx ones should be covnerted into gp6, not the other way around, since gp6 can open gp5 tabs with no problems. So for the time being, having access to both versions for an originally gpx tab would be a workaround.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #88
fanapathy
B-Tuned

New TPA bug with Firefox

It lists the extension as .gp5.htm so when you wanna open it, then

Party time. Dunno if this is a database issue or on Mozilla's side, as it works with Chrome, but thought I'd report since it never happened with the old TPA.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #89
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Not happening to me on Firefox.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #90
fanapathy
B-Tuned

^Hm weird, it doesn't happen on archived tabs though both gpx and gp5 glitch like this in tpa. I have the latest version etc but maybe it's an individual case.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #91
hldvblaze

How can i correct the name of the song, if i was wrong? I have an edit mode of the text, but how can i change the name by myself?
hldvblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #92
garykob
garykob

Currently a tab in the TPA queue Allman Brothers Band - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/cont...oval?id=1473802 that should be compared to the existing 5 star tab of this song at http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t..._guitar_pro.htm
but the comparison isn't going to show up for reviewers on the TPA page for a situation like this unless you can consolidate the duplicate artist name in the database. Most of the existing tabs are under "The Allman Brothers Band", so if possible, I think you should rename the few tabs that are under "Allman Brothers Band" and then delete that band name?

Same issue for his Blue Sky tab in the TPA queue: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/cont...oval?id=1473614 should be compared to http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t..._guitar_pro.htm

Last edited by garykob : 04-02-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add link to TPA
garykob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #93
killergege

Please also, add the "Last online" information on user's profiles (I see it on mine, but not on others). Even something vague like "this month".
For GP tabs (no cooperative editing possible), it would be useful to know if it is worth spending time submitting "correction" comments or just submitting a new corrected version, because if the user didn't login in the last few months, I guess this is useless to write corrections as they won't be applied.
(I just spent half an hour submitting corrections nicely formatted, exporting to ASCII from my fixed version, just to discover that the user's last activity seems to be 3 years old)

Last edited by killergege : 04-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
killergege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #94
LYNX-Music

How do you become a Level IV Contributor?

Because I meet the requirements, but I am still Level III.
LYNX-Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #95
coman91

I'm not satisfied with the tabs on this site because NOBODY shows beat progression and correct chronological order on any of their tabs. They just slop notes together in boxes in no concise order.

I have beat progression shown in almost all of my tabs. This makes it easier not only to see how to play things, but it almost completely eliminates confusion on whether the notes or their fretboard placements are right.

For an example, look at my most recent tab of "Turn Blue" by The Black Keys.
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/b...5042014date.htm

That tab is >90% correct and I did it three hours after the song was released to the general public.

Showing the beat progression makes it a million times easier for less experienced users to learn how to play a main riff like the one in Turn Blue.
coman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #96
coman91

But I'll also say that I think the updated tab editing system is AWESOME. Now the tabs are what they should be: well-organized sub-forums where discussion is encouraged and tabs can be improved collaboratively.

Also, I'm very much a fan of the delete tab option. I was able to delete one of my tabs that had been removed under copyright. To improve organization on the site we should encourage users who have lower rated versions of tabs to delete their submissions. Ideally, there should be one optimized tab for each song, not 2-10 tabs rated under 4/5 that each have something right that the others don't.

One last suggestion. Rating a tab less than 5/5 without reaching the tab author with a correction/suggestion should be a ban-able offense. I would gladly fix a tab if you'd just tell me what's wrong, but people give me a 4/5 without saying a word. That unjustly decreases the number of people who view my tabs, essentially decreasing the number of people I can help.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #97
wbce

Hey ya'll, Im new to this kinda thing. But I posted two tabs that are still pending, and was wonderin' these tabs then may not get published for the public to see?
wbce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #98
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf

hey guys can you make it so it saves my sorting selection? aka I want all the newest tabs up top first not viceversa. also it'd be preferable if my filter would be selected already everytime I open it but its not very important the best would just be able to have the most recent tabs submitted up first.. thank you. glad to see the improvements on it

also why am I not level 4? I have like 10 or 11 tabs all with solider 5 star ratings lol thanks
NosferatuZodd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #99
coman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbce
Hey ya'll, Im new to this kinda thing. But I posted two tabs that are still pending, and was wonderin' these tabs then may not get published for the public to see?

Not really the place to be posting about this, but I'll clue you in anyways because I've been there before.

Patience is a virtue, man. It can take a few days, especially if your tab isn't by a more popular artist. Basically, the mods approve what they like or what is popular first and foremost. It also depends on the season (I've noticed more tabbing occurs in the summer. More tabs awaiting approval = longer waiting time). The rate at which tabs are approved is typically 100-400 (higher in the summertime) a day, and they only work on weekdays.

Example, my tabs for the new releases from the upcoming Black Keys album were approved the day after posting because theyre sought after (Fever already has like 3000 views after being approved a few weeks ago). Tabs I've posted by less popular artists (Junior Kimbrough, Mississippi Fred Mcdowell) have sometimes taken up to 2-3 weeks to get approved.

Rule of thumb: If there are a lot of tabs behind you on the list (tabs posted before yours) you're going to have to wait a while.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #100
Arzosah

1. Yes, to be a site where people can get transcriptions fast and for free and with the alterations available in the menu it's really good. Sure there are many transcription that's poor quality, but I like the idea of everybody being able to share their transcription and not only higher skilled musicians. And there are lots of great transcriptions here also. And thing is even if you spend money on a tab/score/chords on a site and it says original, there are flaws in those too and far from all are accurate.

2. I also like multiple versions, even if many transcriptions are way off it gives the rest something to work off. But as someone pointed out, we gotta be more strict the more versions there are, so songs don't end up with a bunch of versions that's almost identical. One solution could be that the more versions there are, the more voting points it needs to get a tab/transcription approved (if this isn't the case already with the new system and I've missed it, if so sorry)

Also, I'd like to see floating versions, that is the highest rated moves to version 1. As it is now, whoever throws together a transcription the fastest gets version 1, which leads to way more views then the rest.

Last edited by Arzosah : 04-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Arzosah is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: